collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New trapper here  (Read 1477 times)

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
New trapper here
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:03:17 PM »
Hey everybody,

This is my first winter trapping. I’ve caught one skunk so far, which I was pretty excited about and am keeping.  :chuckle: I know there is so much to learn and as a result I have read a lot and watched a lot of videos but was wondering if somebody might be willing to have me out on their trap line, to observe and learn a little. I’ve only been doing land trapping but am also interested in water. I’m located in Chattaroy, so somebody an hour or so from there that would be willing to have me out would be great. Just looking to meet some trappers and learn how to be more effective.

-Daniel

Offline Grizzlybuiltcontracting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF, BHA, WSTA, F4WM
Re: New trapper here
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 05:22:02 AM »
I would be happy to let you tag along with me, however we are on opposite ends of the state. The area you are in is a great area though.

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 05:08:20 PM »
Thanks Grizzly. I appreciate the thought. Fun to still see your catches on here :tup:

Offline Mt.Beaver

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA,
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 02:25:25 PM »
Hi, Hope you find someone nearby to tag along with.  Try and hit the Summer Rendezvous for the demonstrations and to ask any and all questions you might have. You will met people that can help you with your set ups and also purchase gear and have a good time in the process. After twenty years , I still pick up a new trick or two. Good trapping- Ed

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »
hey! glad to see another new guy come aboard! im in my 3rd season, 95% self taught. its a blast, great bonding time i get to have with my daughter and learn a whole new part of the trade. have to keep our roots strong!

a few suggestions if youre not able to physically meet up with anyone around you:

1-ask qs here. most everyone has and is very helpful and knowledgeable. its usually just a few hours at most for your questions to get picked up and answered if you ask on the forum. ive thought about starting a running thread on trapping qs rather than a new topic everytime, maybe its time to do that.

2-there are some great youtube vidoes out there. coon creek outdoors, 330maniac, trapper j, im sure there are a ton more, but these guys have really helped me in the process. lots of little tricks and tips you can glean from watching the videos.

3-honestly just getting traps out and getting the experience. it can be frustrating, ive had quite a few dead sets while in the learning process but ive also had a lot of homeruns when checking. youll learn as you go what works and what doesnt. just like deer hunting. look for sign, read the sign, and set on the sign. you cant catch anything if you dont have traps out. get them out!

4-i dont know what your schedule is or area is, but i would suggest starting with water sets. you can leave them out for up to 3 days and i think maybe higher percentage of a catch when youre starting out. good way to get rolling.

keep at it. good luck, have fun. youll get better as time goes on. asks qs as you need, i always am. keep us posted with your catches!

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
Thanks Mt Beaver for the rendezvous tip!

And thanks greenhead for all the suggestions. I think you’re right that water sets might give me a little more confidence and success early on. I just have access to a good amount of land, but don’t have any nearby water areas secured.

I appreciate all the insight! Even with limited success, it has just been fun getting traps out and day dreaming about all of it. I’m really happy I discovered trapping and am excited for it to be my post season thing! Thanks for the welcome wishes

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]