collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Money Saving Ideas for Ammo and Reloading Components  (Read 2841 times)

Offline sjhgraysage

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Money Saving Ideas for Ammo and Reloading Components
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 02:19:33 PM »
I have worked 3 - 50 count bags of Winchester 257 Roberts brass in the last year or so and at least 1 or 2 bags of 50 count 270 Winchester brass. In just about every bag is 1 or 2 cases with case mouth splits that are un-usable.  :bash:

I did get a bag of Winchester 300WSM and it appears that it is all usable, but some flash holes are not centered.

Star-Line brass has been pretty good and every bag of pistol brass seems to have 1 extra case in the bag  :tup:

The Hornady brass I have used has all been, from factory loaded ammo and seems decent.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 02:35:19 PM »
On group buys, I have done a few hazmat buys with Wes Sage of WAGuns, but he is (or at least was) in King County, and I don't know if he still does that.

In normal times, that would work, and as I recall, powder ended up being cheaper than local retail.  It is kind of hard to do, when you have to jump on the opportunity RIGHT NOW, as it randomly pops up. 

I'd do it again for things like powders and primers where you have to pay hazmat, but I think I will just buy large lots in the future, use what I can, or post excess for sale. 

I'd thought about bullet bulk order, such as from Montana Gold bullet company, which I load in all my plinking/practice rounds, but then I did not shoot as much to justify 5000 at a time, especially when 9 mm was cheap and available.  Now, I am thinking about mostly loading cast bullets in revolver cartirdges for pistol shooting, which are still pretty plentiful and always inexpensive.

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 07:50:03 PM »
Plenty of folks are looking for cheaper shooting, and some are taking it very seriose to be completely non dependant on the supply chain. Just today elvis ammo on youtube discussed how he is loading 9mm for a penny! I'm at 20c a round reloading my own with budget cast bullets tite group and standard primers. Lots of interesting infor and making your own primers. I have some prime all compound I'm playing with right now to load spp just for the experience. May save a life someday or put food on the table to be able to make my own primers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]