collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2021 governors tag  (Read 12855 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: 2021 governors tag
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 06:29:04 PM »
I would contact your own tax preparer to confirm their opinion as it applies to your finances.
Have you talked to anyone familiar with tax law that thinks what you said earlier is legal though? 

You said, "Auction tags are being bought for more than an elk tag normally sells for so everything over the price of a regular elk tag is considered a donation."

I'm not trying to pick on you or your statements here...it's just inconsistent with the minimal knowledge I have of tax law.  As JJ notes, it seems the FMV of the tag is the basis for which a donation would be determined...so I am curious if tax savvy folks are just being really 'flexible' on the law and not being challenged in an audit...or if there is some precedent or loophole that is justifying such a determination?

Surely nobody knowledgeable of western big game hunting would suggest the FMV of say an eastern wa elk permit for any bull, any weapon, nearly every unit Sep 1-Dec 31 is $50.90?
The basis for determining how much of the purchase is considered a donation is the fair market value of the item. The fair market value of an auction tag would usually be more than the nominal cost of a specie tag. In fact, if there are multiple bidders for the auction item that would be a pretty good indication of its market value.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
I would contact your own tax preparer to confirm their opinion as it applies to your finances.
Have you talked to anyone familiar with tax law that thinks what you said earlier is legal though? 

You said, "Auction tags are being bought for more than an elk tag normally sells for so everything over the price of a regular elk tag is considered a donation."

I'm not trying to pick on you or your statements here...it's just inconsistent with the minimal knowledge I have of tax law.  As JJ notes, it seems the FMV of the tag is the basis for which a donation would be determined...so I am curious if tax savvy folks are just being really 'flexible' on the law and not being challenged in an audit...or if there is some precedent or loophole that is justifying such a determination?

Surely nobody knowledgeable of western big game hunting would suggest the FMV of say an eastern wa elk permit for any bull, any weapon, nearly every unit Sep 1-Dec 31 is $50.90?
The basis for determining how much of the purchase is considered a donation is the fair market value of the item. The fair market value of an auction tag would usually be more than the nominal cost of a specie tag. In fact, if there are multiple bidders for the auction item that would be a pretty good indication of its market value.
I would guess have to compare states for similar species gov tag and also historical prices.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2021, 06:34:57 PM »

yes I spoke with my advisor about the auction tags and raffle tags. His opinion was that raffles were a gambling venture and I could only use raffle ticket purchases to offset gambling winnings.

Auction tag purchases however could be deducted from my income tax liability. He did say that it was open to interpretation and how much of that was deductible was uncertain. Putting a value on the tag itself versus what I paid over that value could be argued. Best case you say an elk tag costs $50 and I paid $75,000. Worst case I argue that the auction tag averages $42,000 since its inception and I get to deduct the difference. I have yet to win an auction as JJ has so I have not had to cross that bridge yet.

Again if you are going to play the auction or raffle games I would strongly suggest you get advise from your own tax advisor and then way the risk versus reward on how you apply any purchases to your own tax filing.

Also I would not look at the auctions as the best way to lower your tax burden. There are way better charitable donations that I participate in to lower my tax burden and feel like I’m making real change in people’s lives.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:04:34 AM by Rainier10 »
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
Washington RCW's probably guide the rules around raffles and might say what is eligible for write off. 
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 11:52:32 AM »
i wish there was a law saying that if 48k from this tag goes directly to the mule deer budget, then the administration can not subtract 48k that was previously allocated to muledeer for the year.

That kind of defeats the purpose of the auction - to raise ADDITIONAL funds for conservation. Most of us can't afford the auction price of these tags. The fact that someone can and therefore, puts additional funds into conservation, benefits us all.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »
The west side elk tag still has 5 days to be bid on, its at 27,500.  Did the east side tag end yet?  how much if so?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 12:33:04 PM »
i wish there was a law saying that if 48k from this tag goes directly to the mule deer budget, then the administration can not subtract 48k that was previously allocated to muledeer for the year.

That kind of defeats the purpose of the auction - to raise ADDITIONAL funds for conservation. Most of us can't afford the auction price of these tags. The fact that someone can and therefore, puts additional funds into conservation, benefits us all.

i bet it happens more than we think
-Matt

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »
The west side elk tag still has 5 days to be bid on, its at 27,500.  Did the east side tag end yet?  how much if so?
Current bid is $25,000 for west side elk, Norden1 has had it since it started out at $10,000.  It goes up by $2,500 each time someone bids.  Not sure what Norden1's max bid is.  2017 is the record high for that tag at $27,000.  My guess is that record gets broken Saturday night.

East side tag goes up for bids April 6-8 online.  My guess is it might take $100,000 to get it this year.  Ticker was rolling up out of control from $75,000 up to $84,000 when time expired, who knows how high it would have gone.

Whitetail and Blacktail deer are on the auction block this weekend too.  Those you either have to phone in or be on a zoom call for.  I don't think there is a way to view the auction without contacting them.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 02:13:49 PM »
Interesting, man it would be fun to bid for those tags, just need someone else’s credit card!!!!   Lol
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 02:15:56 PM »
Current bid is $25,000 for west side elk, Norden1 has had it since it started out at $10,000.  It goes up by $2,500 each time someone bids.  Not sure what Norden1's max bid is.  2017 is the record high for that tag at $27,000.  My guess is that record gets broken Saturday night.

East side tag goes up for bids April 6-8 online.  My guess is it might take $100,000 to get it this year.  Ticker was rolling up out of control from $75,000 up to $84,000 when time expired, who knows how high it would have gone.

Whitetail and Blacktail deer are on the auction block this weekend too.  Those you either have to phone in or be on a zoom call for.  I don't think there is a way to view the auction without contacting them.

I’m signed up for zoom call.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2021, 02:30:22 PM »

I’m signed up for zoom call.
I am too but I don't think there will be any bargains this year.  The money being spent so far is off the charts.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2021, 02:59:21 PM »
Definitely no bargains this year to be had.  Probably another record setting year.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2021, 08:32:47 PM »
Definitely no bargains this year to be had.  Probably another record setting year.
Well you nailed that. Washington WT was $500 below its record &BT was a record and Oregon elk went for way more than last year. Crazy money out there.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2021, 08:35:09 PM »
WT $16,000
BT $10,000
Oregon elk $54,000( Oregon sells four elk tags one at each of four different events)

I didn’t see what the final number was on the west elk auction. It ended at 745 MST not PST

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2021, 08:42:18 PM »
Shattered the WT record.  Those $14-16k numbers on the historical sales belong in the mule deer column.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]