collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Lite for Elk Hunting?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Re: First Lite for Elk Hunting?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 08:33:14 AM »
FYI camofire has a bunch of Sitka on sale today, 20% off on most lines or better

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 03:31:49 PM »
I bought the corrugate pants. They were odd shaped for a company that sells its stuff as athletic fit. The pants were not long enough for the given waist size. By a long way.  Fairly simple return, though.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 06:10:45 PM »
I like my wool First Lite shirts but I prefer Sitka uppers as a base layer. They are more comfortable and the fabric they use now stays oder free for days on end. My First Lite wool pants shredded. For cheap awesome pants try the Wrangler pants from Walmart. I have several different pairs of Sitka pants and the Wranglers get the most wear. Keep an eye on Rokslide classifieds. You can find some killer deals on there at times. I cannot comment on Kuiu. I have never tried it but my brother has been really happy with his so maybe take a look at it as well.

Offline GoPlayOutside

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 10:09:40 PM »
Does Russell Athletic make any camo sweatpants.  I'm thinking that's my next piece of early archery gear.  Built for speed and comfort  :chuckle:
"Aim small, miss small."
Genesis 27:3, "Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 05:43:50 AM »
You going commando?  :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 06:32:22 AM »
I own the corrugate pants, they're comfortable and seem durable. I've hunted hard in them for 4 years now and they only issue I had is a seem in the pocket came undone. I fixed it and move on. My Dad has Kuiu Attack pants and really likes them.

I'm with others though, there are lots of much cheaper options out there when it comes to outer layers. If you aren't worried about camo, look at the Zion Prana pants. They have a good following. Eddie Bauer often has stuff for cheap online too.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 11:40:11 AM »
https://www.sierra.com/first-lite-guide-lite-camo-pants-for-men~p~33vhd/?filterString=s~first-lite%2F&merch=prod-rec-prod-prod33VHD

First Lite pants $49.  They are returned items but for $49 you can't go wrong.  Shop around and don't get stuck on big name companies. 

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »

5.11 Rip stop TDU or Taclite Pro :tup:

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 04:41:45 PM »
Well I have hunted in firstlite gear for 5 years amd hunt 30to 60 days a. Year  on a very wide variety I’m hard on stuff and have had zero issues ,  I’ll say it is expensive and I’m sure there are many things out there  that work better or just as good but no complaints here

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
I have grown to really appreciate nice clothes while hunting and first lites my go to. I have a bunch of there gear and haven’t worn out anything yet. Except when I had a knife slip last fall on a bull and sliced my warm weather pants. Everything seems well made and super comfy for me.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 10:09:34 AM »
Here's my input based on experience, light weight merino wool baselayer shirt is a must.  150 weight or so.  Anything heavier, and you should go synthetic do to time to dry.  Same for boxers.  Those right there are worth the cost and a premium for me.

Anything by first lite, smartwool, minus33 will work.  BlackOvis (same as Camofie) is my recommendation based on price and customer service.

The life of merino wool i've found to be 2 to 3 years based on how much and how hard you are running them and with a pack or so.  They fray, pile, and rip.

Merino socks is another must have for me.  I'm partial to darn tough.

Another must have, even if it's 90 degrees is a puffy jacket.  FL uncompaghre, Sitka Kelvin Lite, Eddie Bauer, Stone Glacier, etc will be good.  Sort of depends if you want down vs synthetic.

But get a puffy coat.

Outside of that, I've found the same thing with pants and jackets.  The life expectancy of them does not warrant the cost for a lot of the high end companies, but sort of depends how you run them. 

Sitka at 50% off does in my opinion due to their customer service, or even 30% at places you don't have to pay tax. 

Outside of that, again BlackOvis is putting out great low cost stuff for pants, make sure to check them out. 

Eddie Bauer pants do not last me more than 1 year for me, but again, they have lifetime, so you can take them back and get a new pair.  But every pair i use for hunting, the pockets work out and lose stitching.

Prana Zions are good too, I just like more pockets.

lightweight rain set you can throw in your pack just in case and if weather looks to be raining a lot, a heavier weight set.

For my Sept elk hunt I use:
baseball hat
merino stocking hat
150 weight merino long sleeve with a zipper.
Fleece pullover/hooded with stretch
Puffy Jacket

lightweight rain set

Some type of lightweight synthetic pant with stretch
darn tough/farm to feet merino socks

That's a decent start to work off of

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »
I think you have the advice portion covered.   Just popping on here to say we want feedback on your trip man!  Post up a report when you get back -- with pics! :tup:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal