collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: So I think I need a partner...  (Read 6328 times)

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
So I think I need a partner...
« on: August 06, 2020, 01:50:14 PM »
After yesterday having to pass on a bear due to light constraints(really I don’t mind the thought of breaking an animal down in the dark, but I sprained my ankle about a month ago and the thought of dragging myself up 800 feet in a quarter mile at dark thirty with an entire bear on my back didn’t seem like the smartest idea) I’m thinking it would be nice to have a partner.

I’ve kinda strayed away from it, typically doing my own thing solo but there’s been a few occasions where having a partner probably would’ve changed a 0 to a 1. That and some camaraderie when I’m out would be nice.

I’m 33 years old, married, with a 4 year old daughter. I’m blessed with a good amount of free time to run around the woods during season. I really like bear hunting, followed by archery deer. I’ve yet to try archery elk but that changes this year(not to mention some grouse/rabbit/general small game). I’m an adult onset hunter, I didn’t actually pick up hunting until about 6 years ago. Most things I know are from forums like this one, some one on one mentorship via text(thanks Scott), and just getting outside and trying stuff.

I’m not married to one style of hunting - I do like to pack in on occasion(was into backpacking before hunting but never a tree hugger), but I’m just as happy being in the front country as well. I’m not huge on road hunting but I’m not too good to turn down an animal that way - I’m just not going to drive around the woods from sunup to sundown hoping something runs out.

What I’d like from a partner is someone who takes hunting fairly seriously. I keep myself in shape enough that I can drop and gain a thousand feet without it completely spending me. I’m no Olympian or anything though, and would prefer a partner who does the same... someone who’s not gonna whine about a 3k foot hike in. Someone who has(or is acquiring) the gear they need to hunt effectively. Another thing is alcohol - I don’t mind a beer or two in camp, but I’m not really wanting to hunt with someone who uses hunting trips as a all day drinkathon boys getaway. Also would prefer someone who’s down for out of state stuff - Idaho, Montana, the skies the limit.

Age is just a number, I’m sure there are guys who are twice my age that can probably smoke me on hills, so if you’re old, young, whatever. Ideally I’d find someone around my skill level but I have no issue with someone newer as long as they’re dedicated. Don’t come into this thinking I’m gonna teach you a ton because I’m still learning myself - but we could learn together.

Obviously sharing travel expenses, meat, etc goes without saying. What we do, we do as a team and both get to benefit. Someone to share scouting and trip planning with would be great as well.

Sorry for being so long winded... I feel like I’m writing a singles ad more than looking for a hunting partner... but I’d rather not have to weed through 20 people saying “yeah I’m in!!” only to find out 18 of them are incompatible vs. one or two responses that know what they’re getting into.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: So I think I need a partner...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »
Also keep in mind that you can create a phone tree. Once you send it, bear diwn, get the message out and bring 8n help.

Offline Henrydog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 01:59:52 PM »
h2O is dead on with the phone tree.  I was part of one for a old guy with a moose tag.  6 of us had it in the truck within an hour of being called. 

You sound like me 15 years ago.  No longer in that good of shape.  Now finding a hunting partner, there were quit a few guys that went with me once or twice but only 1 guy that could keep up and had the same desire.  Its much harder finding that hunting partner than it is a wife.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 02:07:57 PM »
but only 1 guy that could keep up and had the same desire.  Its much harder finding that hunting partner than it is a wife.

Yeah that’s the kicker. I have a fellow I go turkey hunting with every year but honestly it’s more of me planning, me arranging, me carrying the trip(he will split costs). I have another guy who’s similar to me that I go with rarely but he has pretty dedicated partners already. Other than that, I got no one. The latter did offer to help me pack the bear out but once he learned I was 3-4 hours away and he had work in the morning... well I wouldn’t have done it either so I completely understand.

Offline downtownbrown0610

• Tracker
  • Groups: MDF, FLRD
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »
PM Sent

Offline J.Brower

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »
Jeff, where are you located? I’m kinda in the same position you are. No issues with going the distance, but not going to set any speed records getting to the top. I archery deer hunt as well as bear hunt as much as time allows. I’m in the Snohomish area and typically stay within an hour of here to this point. Shoot me a message or a text if you are still looking for a partner.
Josh
(425)478-6366

Offline tyfghter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 01:22:05 PM »
Way late to the party, but if youre still looking id love to chat.
Let me know and Ill PM you my number. I just moved by Napavine. 32yo, kids 6 and under and a kickass wife that wants in on the lifestyle too. Its my first season actually hunting but jve been doing podcast and research and hiking for years.
I spend all day e-scouting and reading and planning hunts Im too much of a wuss to go alone.
My skills arnt  there yet, but my dedication and desire are there.
I have a few places that I marked to scout for next year, maybe we can run through them/scout and get a feel to see if were a good match.

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 08:52:57 PM »
 :chuckle: Yes finding a real, true partner is very hard indeed. I been solo most ot of my outings.... Well where R U? Grouse, deer, or Turkey??? :yeah: :dunno:
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »
I know the feeling. I’m 33 with a 5yo daughter who walks in everywhere I hunt. Most people I’ve talked say  “you’re crazy chuckar hunting without a dog”. I have a bow and a long gun but am on the eastside. I run my own business so my schedule is as free as I make it. I enjoy solo hunting but there definitely is a perk when it comes to big game.

• Women's Board
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 10:44:06 PM »
jeffirains,
WE r IN, just need a gal to show her around,,,
I have PLACE in Coulee City, Turkey there along the LAKESIDE. P.M. me

• Women's Board
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 04:43:57 AM »
WELL?  :hello:

Offline Alaskan

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Big hikes equal big horns!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 07:39:23 AM »
PM'd you. always looking to network.

Bryant

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 09:47:35 AM »
“Age is just a number”
Usually someone under 50 that says that crap…
Yes, there are ‘older’ folks that do pretty good. Most people think I am in my 50’s. I do pretty good for 67. Still though, age is NOT just a number.
Rant over, and a free bump!

Good luck on finding a partner! Or do the phone tree thing. Better option if you like hunting by yourself. Unless they want half. I have seen that happen.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU