collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GOA: Senate Considering Treaty That Could Affect Gun Rights  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
GOA: Senate Considering Treaty That Could Affect Gun Rights
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:50:21 PM »
Feel free to use their page to send a notice to the anti gun senators we have in Washington State.

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=10494571&type=CO

Scroll to the bottom of the linked page above and fill in the details...

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

It turns out that Washington might soon be giving an arm of the United Nations jurisdiction over the import, export, and oceanic transport of GUNS and AMMUNITION.

You would think that even Washington politicians would not be so stupid as to give people like Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Burma's despotic military junta, the Sudan's genocidal strongmen, or Cuba's Fidel Castro the right to interfere with our Second Amendment rights on American soil, right?

Well, what makes sense to the common person isn't always the reality in Washington.

The Senate Foreign Relations committee will soon be debating the ratification of a treaty that bears the appropriate acronym of LOST (Law of the Sea Treaty). LOST would put the ocean's resources in the hands of the UN's International Seabed Authority -- and yes, that spells trouble for our Second Amendment rights.

First, there are concerns that the International Seabed Authority might close firing ranges based on the bogus argument that runoff from these ranges pollutes the world's oceans.

This battle over lead run-off is one that gun owners have already fought in this country. We shudder to think that we could one day find ourselves fighting this battle at the global level as well!

But, even more frightening, Article 88 of the treaty stipulates that the high seas are "reserved" for peaceful purposes. And this provision would be enforced by the Tribunal on the Law of the Sea.

What does this mean? It clearly doesn't mean that the U.S. or any other country is going to shut down its navy. But, on the other hand, it would be foolish to assume that the UN will not eventually try to use this provision to prohibit the oceanic transport of all firearms and ammunition -- except, of course, for guns and ammo bound for murderous dictators.

Make no mistake: The United Nations is composed of hoards of heavily-armed genocidal tyrants. And the last thing these people want is for firearms and ammunition to fall into the hands of "peons" like you and me.

And the UN has shown no reluctance to try to strip the U.S. of its sovereignty and interfere with our Second Amendment rights. Just consider the several attempts they have made over the last decade to sucker the United States into a binding treaty that would call for greater gun control restrictions inside our own country.

Peter Leitner, who was the Representative to the Law of the Sea negotiations in Geneva during the 1970s and a key witness at the hearing before the Environment and Public Works Committee, is not only an authority on the LOST treaty, he is concerned about the danger it poses to individual rights

He says, "The inherent danger in this Treaty is the fact that nothing is set in stone and broad matters of interpretation will be the province of the 'one-nation/one-vote' Assembly.  We will have no leverage, veto-power, etc., in that forum." 

And then there's the term "Peaceful Purposes" in the treaty. Leitner says that this is "one of those extraordinarily vague terms that lend themselves to political manipulation."

If the US can claim that LOST allows US ships to board foreign ships and look for weapons of mass destruction, he argues, "then other nations can interdict cargoes they find offensive as well.  I think the [Second Amendment] gun guys have a very legitimate concern!"

Another opponent of this treaty is John Bolton, the former US Ambassador to the United Nations. Bolton almost single-handedly kept the US from signing onto anti-gun treaties sponsored by the UN. Now he is making the rounds on Capitol Hill, reportedly lobbying conservative senators against LOST.

ACTION: Write your senators. Tell them not to vote to ratify the Law of the Sea Treaty until the following amendment is adopted:

Article 88 is amended by adding at the end thereof the following: "Notwithstanding anything in this treaty to the contrary, no action shall be taken under this treaty which would impede the export, transport, or import of small arms and ammunition into the United States for the lawful exercise of Second Amendment rights under the Constitution of the United States."

sisu

Re: GOA: Senate Considering Treaty That Could Affect Gun Rights
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »
I sent mine in. Don't call me a red neck or what ever, but I have disliked the U.N. since I was in 9th grade. I read a book back in 1966 that eluded to the danger the United Nations posed to the United States of America.
Americans have relaxed since the Berlin Wall fell as they wrongly thought that Marxism was dying when in fact it is growing stronger daily under a vale of political mumble jumble in our country and countries of our allies. If we are not careful the constitution as we know it will be amended and skewed in ways we cannot fathom.
Thank you Huntwa for posting this very important piece of legislation.

BTW, I've always liked the farmer in Centralia/Chehalis, WA
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAttraction.php?tip_AttractionNo=%3D6002

I can't stop now...There is another part of this Sea Bed Law.

Any riches the USA reaps from OUR coastal waters we will have to share with Third World Nations(I refuse to use the PC term). This my friends includes development of fossil fuel, precious metals etc. areas that we own and use our money in the development of said fields, but they get to share in the wealth.

I haven't looked into the USA commercial fishing industry. This would be a worth while look since we could be giving away more of our encroachment distance to foreign fishing vessels. Are there any commercial fishing people on this site. If so could you lend us your expertise on this up coming legislation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:59:58 PM by sisu »

Offline pacyew

• Hunter
  • Baggins
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:52:55 PM »
More absolute insanity from the "international community". The only use for the UN is keeping track of the inmates. It's unthinkable that we should join them in any of their antics.

I understand that in a recent survey poll taken in several Western European countries regarding feelings towards the USA, one question asked was "What bothers you most about the USA?".

A common answer was that "The USA doesn't seem to care what we think!" They're right, I don't.

Yes, please write your senators!
It's a great life if you don't weaken

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:17:18 PM »
South Korean trawlers ruined Puget Sound. I remember when you could catch all the Hake and Tomcod you'd ever want from the shore by Mukelteo. In the 70's they let these BIG Korean commerical netters in and striped the sound. The bottom fish never recovered.
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]