collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting and general advice on Oahu  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Call em in

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
Hunting and general advice on Oahu
« on: February 23, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »
Spur of the moment trip in the works to Oahu in March.  It’s my first time on that Island.  Looking for any advice on hunting, fishing and other cool “don’t miss” things. 

Please feel free to PM me if you don’t want to respond here.

Thank you for reading!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Hunting and general advice on Oahu
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »
You'll have a blast.  I don't want to rain on the parade, but Oahu isn't the best option for hunting and fishing.  I've got family there, so I spend a lot of time in Hawaii (and especially Oahu).

For hunting, a lot of dense jungle and tough terrain without a bunch of public land.  There are some better DIY options on other islands.  If you want to hunt on Oahu, a guided hunt is probably the way to go.

Fishing from shore can be good, but especially on Oahu there is a learning curve.  The reef fish are fished out in some areas.  However, it's a low barrier to entry sort of fishery.  I always take a cheap four piece rod with a spinning reel with a box of soft plastics.  Another good way to do it is a snorkel with a "pole spear".  I'd recommend the pole spear route just because it's so much different of an experience than you can get around here.  If you really want reef fish, though, I'd recommend a couple days on a different island (which at least is pre-covid times were easy to get to).

Oahu is also not the best port for deep sea fishing in my opinion.  It's a long run to the fishing grounds from Oahu, and the fishing is hit or miss.  It can be lights out or you could get skunked.  It is also expensive to go on a charter.  And worst of all, a lot of the charters don't let you keep fish there.  With most of the charters, you're essentially just paying to go as crew on a small commercial boat.  This is not a scientific fact by any means, but I have a theory that the fact most of the customers are long-distance tourists with no chance of a repeat trip means the charter captains don't really care about making sure you have a good experience--especially compared to other trips you go on for that sort of money.  I've been on fishing charters in a lot of different places, and have no intention of going on another in Hawaii.

If you've got time to bounce between islands, Kona (on the big island) is the best deep sea port.  It's a close run to the shelf and tends to be calmer waters.

After all that doom and gloom, there is a ton of fun stuff to do there that doesn't related to hunting and fishing.  If they're doing tours right now, Pearl Harbor is worth a visit.  If there's a storm, check out the waves on the North Shore.  Side Street Inn is my favorite restaurant (go to the original one--not the one on Waikiki).  Helena's is also good if you want to get some real Hawaiian food.

Hiking in the islands is very underrated and can be incredible.  My typical itinerary over there involves hiking in the morning, hitting the beach in afternoon, and going out to dinner in the evening.  That keeps me plenty busy for however long I stay.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »
Would you be trying to take your own gun to Hawaii?  From a few friends that have had to live there, it sounds like a real headache, and you might not have the time to deal with all their laws.  I seem to recall they had to take them to the police for registration and then get background checks.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:27:30 AM »
Would you be trying to take your own gun to Hawaii?  From a few friends that have had to live there, it sounds like a real headache, and you might not have the time to deal with all their laws.  I seem to recall they had to take them to the police for registration and then get background checks.

Great point.  There gun laws are rough.  I don't know the specifics, but definitely something to figure out before you go.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »
And one final thing to add, at that time of year if you get a calm day I'd consider a hike to Makapu'u Point to watch whales a must-do activity.  No need to go out on a tour.  Tons of whales around if you're into that sort of thing.

Offline Call em in

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses. I would actually be going over to house sit for a friend, hence why I picked Oahu instead of another island (it picked me lol). I was considering taking a bow, not sure I want to deal with their gun laws. I’m not opposed to island hopping for a day or two to hunt another island.

Gotta love spur of the moment trips. Lol. Just trying to do some research before I go!

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:02:36 AM »
one of the islands i saw turkey hunting on TV the other day...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
I've seen turkeys on the Big Island" along with deer (blacktails I believe) and some funky goat like creatures on Kauai.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 11:38:36 AM »
When I was on the big island a few years ago. We saw doves, turkey’s, pigs and sheep. Met the guide who works the dry side for goats, the photo I had of a ram said it was a dandy.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »
My dad hunted Axis deer on one of the Islands a while back.  They are still there but I am not sure what Island.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
Several bonefish options around Oahu, far from easy, but doable.  With the loss of tourism I am sure the pressure on every thing edible has gone way up, good luck!!!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
My dad hunted Axis deer on one of the Islands a while back.  They are still there but I am not sure what Island.
There are some pretty big cattle ranches on the big Island, and a lot of them have (had) a mixture of game animals and game birds.  I think some of those ranches were up as high as 10,000 feet and spanned nearly 100k acres.  I did hear a couple years ago that Hawaii was moving towards the ecologist model vs the biologist model and is trying to eliminate all the non-native species.  Their game dept was supposedly flying helicopters around trying to shoot all the exotic species like axis deer and such.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 12:30:20 PM »
Yea the Parker ranch on the Big Island is huge. Lots of pheasants. I see a lot of those wild goats down close to the water in in the small trees and brush. We did a ATV ride over where all the sugar Cain fields used to be. Saw lots of pig sign. Not sure of non resident prices for hunting
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline GFB_Recon

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 12:36:58 PM »
Born and raised O’ahu, just moved to WA last year.

Hunting on the island is tough if you don’t have dogs. Pigs are the only animals you can really hunt and without dogs it’s painful because of the high population of people vs wild game.

You’re better off trying to get a fishing trip, since you’re going in March look for a charter doing the  Mahimahi run

Now if you head to an outer island such as Moloka’i (axis deer) or the Big Isle hunting their with bow is better and some home owners will love it if you can kill the pigs on their property. My favorite animal to hunt on the Big Isle is moufflon, moufflon soup is delicious!
Breath Aim Relax Squeeze

Offline GFB_Recon

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 12:43:46 PM »
He’s a pic of my mother in laws husband and my son from 2 years ago, found this guy way up Mt. Ka’ala, knifed him in the heart after the dogs pinned him down.
Breath Aim Relax Squeeze

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand