collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear Pelt Submission  (Read 20442 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Spring Bear Pelt Submission
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »
IMO, the way I read it is pelt = skin, not a portion thereof, with evidence of sex attached.  I, myself, don't need any further clarification.
 I will bring out the pelt, defined as the way I interpreted it, as it is the law, regardless if I agree with it or not.

Thanks for proving the point.  It is not up to your interpretation.

So, hunters need to bring in the entire pelt including the head and paws?
Preferably in a black garbage sack apparently, since I read it on hw

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2021, 03:04:22 PM »
Frustrating

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »
Had to do this in SE Alaska for as long as I can recall. Not an issue. Although the Alaska sealing requirements say the claws and proof of sex must remain naturally attached until sealed. They take a premolar for aging.

I’m happy to help them collect data.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 07:36:53 AM »
Had to do this in SE Alaska for as long as I can recall. Not an issue. Although the Alaska sealing requirements say the claws and proof of sex must remain naturally attached until sealed. They take a premolar for aging.

So in Alaska a strip 3” wide from proof of sex to a claw would work?

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 07:45:27 AM »

Take bail money with you.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 07:54:20 AM »
I think Everyone is overthinking this since no one even has a tag yet. If I draw I will contact the game warden that is local to the unit I will be hunting and check with them Seems best to go with the interpretation of the person enforcing the rule .

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »
I think Everyone is overthinking this since no one even has a tag yet. If I draw I will contact the game warden that is local to the unit I will be hunting and check with them Seems best to go with the interpretation of the person enforcing the rule .

This will be great. I’m surprised no one has asked the question to someone who is paid to know the law.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 09:25:38 AM »

This will be great. I’m surprised no one has asked the question to someone who is paid to know the law.
They are paid to enforce the law with evidence to the prosecuter.
But I agree the best advise is gonna come from a warden in this regards to the interpretation of the law.

The only reason I say it this way is cause it is very easy to be on the wrong side of the law.Depending on who's enforcing it.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 09:28:39 PM »

Per their definition;

skin, hide, or pelt of a bear means the entire external covering with claws attached.

So no, a 3” strip of hide won’t cut it.

Why is everyone so against bringing a bear hide to a fish and game office?
Idaho requires the same for wolves and I don’t recall anyone complaining about it.

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 11:47:12 PM »
I think most of these comments must be coming from back country hunters shooting small meat bears that just don’t wanna deal with the extra weight. I take all my hides big or small and at least get them tanned. I’m sure there might be a few taxidermist out there that might give you some credit towards other work for a good hide too

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2021, 06:30:19 AM »

Per their definition;

skin, hide, or pelt of a bear means the entire external covering with claws attached.

So no, a 3” strip of hide won’t cut it.

Why is everyone so against bringing a bear hide to a fish and game office?
Idaho requires the same for wolves and I don’t recall anyone complaining about it.
Hillhound touched on it.  Cesapeake, have you hunted for bear miles off the road, on your back without stock?  Not being a dick, serious question, you may be hard core, I have no idea.  Last season I hiked in only 2 miles, they opened the spring season till the end of June because of the late start.  Because of the later season I almost expected to find a rubbed out bear, liking the meat, I was prepared to leave my first hide in the woods.  It actually was a nice Idea for a change, a lot less weight!!  The blues are steep as hell and the top and bottoms are a long way.  Well, my bear ended up with a really nice coat, and he was BIG!  So, I packed out the hide either way, really almost killed me. At 51 and many, many pack out trips in my past, I thought I was having a heart attack with this one.  Now to the point, If the rug was crap, all rubbed out, why should I have to pack it out?  There are a percentage of hunters out there that don't care about the hide, it's a lot of extra work and now they are forcing that on spring hunters.  Not sure why a patch of hide with evidence of sex isn't good enough? That is what they are after anyway.  I personally hate the new rule and will probably just not report the bear kill, (which I hate doing) or I'll just leave the hide and have the meat processed.  And you can't compare a wolf hide to a bear hide, not sure if anyone packs out the meat of a wolf and eats it, much more to deal with when you kill a bear.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2021, 06:41:15 AM »

What makes you think the question hasnt been asked? Just not answered?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2021, 08:56:04 AM »
Trophy,

I’m in my 40’s, not self described as hard core.... Yes I’ve hunted the Blues as well as other steep places and passed bears due to the terrain. Don’t use stock.
I understand the hide would be another 30-40# load to take out. 

In the context of having good data to support the continuation of good management I feel it’s probably worth it.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »
I support the good data for management idea, I just don’t think forcing people to pack something out they may not want to will get it done. I’m just saying why not a small part of the hide, the important part for sex ID and milk production.  I’d like to hear from Wdfw on specifics, it should be addressed. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
Unless I hear a definitive answer, they're getting a nutsack in a baggie and a tooth.

Unless I want the hide, or can roll it downhill into a truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal