collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear Pelt Submission  (Read 20432 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Spring Bear Pelt Submission
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2021, 10:22:11 AM »
Unless I hear a definitive answer, they're getting a nutsack in a baggie and a tooth.

Unless I want the hide, or can roll it downhill into a truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I hate see what you say your giving them if you shoot a female.
How many tits do you cut off.
Never mind I might not want to know.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
They'll get a "patch" that will be unmistakable

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »
That's what I'm calling that area now .
The patch.......

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
Back on topic now.
Who is.........
Dragging it out
Slice and dice
Doing nothing cause they don't report

Is there another option or did I miss something?

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2021, 11:21:24 AM »
Had to do this in SE Alaska for as long as I can recall. Not an issue. Although the Alaska sealing requirements say the claws and proof of sex must remain naturally attached until sealed. They take a premolar for aging.

I’m happy to help them collect data.

So in Alaska a strip 3” wide from proof of sex to a claw would work?

Per their definition;

skin, hide, or pelt of a bear means the entire external covering with claws attached.

So no, a 3” strip of hide won’t cut it.

Why is everyone so against bringing a bear hide to a fish and game office?
Idaho requires the same for wolves and I don’t recall anyone complaining about it.

I don’t keep most of my bear hides. I’m certainly not packing a hide out of the back country that’s going to end up in the dumpster if it’s not some fantastic hide worth tanning. I just want it to be simply proof of sex. So theres less people breaking the laws and more honest reporting. What possible reason could there be for the need of a whole pelt? Claws attached? Why? Proof of sex has some logic to it. A full pelt requirement seems like an attempt to have less bears killed. Or at least reported.

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »
I think Everyone is overthinking this since no one even has a tag yet. If I draw I will contact the game warden that is local to the unit I will be hunting and check with them Seems best to go with the interpretation of the person enforcing the rule .

This will be great. I’m surprised no one has asked the question to someone who is paid to know the law.
What makes you think the question hasnt been asked? Just not answered?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Because I think someone would gladly post the response to this question to clarify on this site. Is there not any officials that are on hunt Washington that could chime in?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »
We got here because compliance with mandatory reporting and tooth submission was too low to produce estimates with necessary precision to defend spring bear management.  I wrote in opposition to mandatory pelt submission and suggested enforcing the existing laws on reporting and tooth submission instead to increase compliance - crickets.  So now we get to pack out unwanted hides.  I will do so, reluctantly, and cussing as much as I can while my fat, sweating, diabetic, diseased heart azz packs an unwanted hide out (yes, I'm planning for success :)).  Expect this to be a fall general season requirement soon.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2021, 11:30:01 AM »
We got here because compliance with mandatory reporting and tooth submission was too low to produce estimates with necessary precision to defend spring bear management.  I wrote in opposition to mandatory pelt submission and suggested enforcing the existing laws on reporting and tooth submission instead to increase compliance - crickets.  So now we get to pack out unwanted hides.  I will do so, reluctantly, and cussing as much as I can while my fat, sweating, diabetic, diseased heart azz packs an unwanted hide out (yes, I'm planning for success :)).  Expect this to be a fall general season requirement soon.

And even more fall bears won’t be reported as well if that happens.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2021, 12:15:19 PM »
Yup - less reporting will occur.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2021, 12:20:38 PM »
If you draw Spring Bear in Skagit, there will be a meeting of some sort. And what to do with the hide requirement would be a good question than. Since several offical types attend those meetings.
How covid effects that ummmm not sure.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »
When I drew, the local bio was at that meeting with maps and stuff, but not the warden.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2021, 01:47:25 PM »

I hate to disagree or correct you so perhaps my statement can just be a clarification. Statistically the tooth sample size is big enough. Yes they didn't get the 30% they prefer, they got 28... and in a known sample size that is much better information that most businesses get to make decisions.

I personally want bios to have plenty of information to make educated management suggestions. Unfortunately I belive increased requirements are all about reducing the pursuit and harvest.

Dillytech, I know for a fact the question has been asked... but no response from the department.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2021, 02:35:20 PM »
Plus, I don't think decisions are made by sample statistics, but by political whimsy.

Offline downtownbrown0610

• Tracker
  • Groups: MDF, FLRD
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2021, 03:39:20 PM »
So earlier this week I received my special hunt paperwork in the mail for this years spring bear. It has a welcome letter stating the " If you kill a bear during the special hunt, you must provide a premolar tooth to any WDFW wildlife regional office within 24 HOURS of harvesting a bear" 24hr?? That seemed a little unreasonable to me.

This is the 3rd time I have seen a different time/different harvest submission requirements associated with submitting for Spring Bear and each was from the WDFW. I have seen 5 days, 72 hours and now the letter says 24hrs. I decided to give them a call to clarify some of the harvest reporting requirements because it is getting in my opinion a little out of control. I am always looking to do the right thing, but if I don't even know what right is, it makes that pretty tough. I left a Voicemail and someone called me from the dept about an hour later. Take it as you will but this is from the WDFW's mouth and what I will abide by if I harvest a spring bear.

He said that he did not know why the letter would state 24hr because that would be impossible to track. It was a mistake and the are working on correcting the mistake. He said as long as you can send the tooth into a regional office at your first opportunity, you will be fine.
I then asked a question in regards to pelt submission. He stated that the ENTIRE pelt is to be taken during harvest (evidence of sex still attached) and that you have 5 days from harvest to set that appointment up. The pelt should be unfrozen for purposes of inspection and sealing. He said cooling of the pelt is fine just not to completely freeze it. He said that spring bear harvest requirements are going to be basically the same as cougar harvest requirements ( I am not up to date to cougar requirements but I am assuming that they are similar to what is now being asked).

As stated, whether I agree or disagree with the requirements I had to clarify what is actually being asked of me if I do actually harvest a bear. Again take it as is, and I hope everyone has a good spring season. Hope this clears some stuff for everyone. Take care.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2021, 03:44:01 PM »
If the hide is not worth tanning and ANYONE or AGENCY wants they are more than welcome to hike into kill site and pack it out otherwise the carrion eaters get it.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan