collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear Pelt Submission  (Read 20427 times)

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Spring Bear Pelt Submission
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2021, 04:00:22 PM »
Glad I caught this thread since I drew my first spring bear tag this year and have never killed a bear. Regardless of the hide, I was going to be packing mine out since I just don't know any better. I see both sides to the argument since it would be like requiring me to pack out every deer/elk hide which I only do if I plan to have taxidermy work done.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
I didn’t know you had to bring in the entire cougar hide. So if you skinned a cougar and skinned around the wrists leaving the paws in the field you would go to jail or something? I highly doubt it. When I brought in a cougar they only took pieces of the teeth because they broke trying to get them out. How does this change taxidermist requirements? Will spring bear pelts need sealed but fall don’t?

Online Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »
The 2020 requirements for bringing the pelt in for sealing were known when applying for spring bear, and waived due to Covid.  Once again 2021 rules were posted before applying this year, so why apply if you don't plan on following the rules?  I don't follow the logic.  Filter out the advertisements and the GMU descriptions you don't hunt, the regulation book doesn't take that long to read.   :twocents:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline downtownbrown0610

• Tracker
  • Groups: MDF, FLRD
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2021, 05:28:45 PM »
While I am sure you would not go to jail, I am not sure what the actual punishment would be. More than likely I would think a ticket would be more reasonable. He did not state when I talked to him in the phone. What people end up deciding to do is thier own decision, I am just stating what WDFW said when I talked to them on the phone. As others has stated this is not new, it was just pushed back due to COVID last year.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2021, 07:38:25 AM »
The 2020 requirements for bringing the pelt in for sealing were known when applying for spring bear, and waived due to Covid.  Once again 2021 rules were posted before applying this year, so why apply if you don't plan on following the rules?  I don't follow the logic.  Filter out the advertisements and the GMU descriptions you don't hunt, the regulation book doesn't take that long to read.   :twocents:

I don’t think many people who put in for spring bear are caught off guard by this. It’s just crazy to require you to carry out a non edible portion of an animal and not even clarify how much of the pelt they need. This will result in less reporting. Just like if you had to pack out an entire elk pelt on any elk kill. There would just be less people fallowing the laws and not reporting elk kills. I’m not supporting breaking of the new law but it is a reality.
 It becomes to easy to not fallow this law once your bear hide is home, you want to get it in the freezer and you can’t get ahold of a Bioligist.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2021, 08:17:50 AM »
Whole pelt in a black garbage sack after 5 days sitting in the sun is legal

But frozen partial pelt w sex attached in a zip lock is not

Amazing

Thank you for relaying the message

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2021, 08:44:13 AM »
So WDFW has a rule with spring bear permits that you have to bring the entire pelt in and some folks are going to ignore that rule and just do what they want because they don't agree with it.  I wonder if those same people are going to hunt anywhere they want instead of just the unit they were drawn for because they don't agree with the boundary?  Or maybe someone doesn't agree with the number of permits for a particular area and the fact they didn't draw.  Just going to go out and hunt anyway?  Season ends on June 15th and don't agree.  Hunt until July?  Makes me wonder how some people determine where that line they won't cross is located...........or is it constantly shifting? 

Personally, I'll hunt only where and when I have a tag/permit, during legal hours, following the published rules.  If I'm lucky enough to get a bear, I'll haul the whole damn pelt out and jump thru the hoops.  Might it suck?  Yup.  But it's all part of the deal.  Reminds me of a conversation Rinella had on one of his shows about high-grade vs low-grade fun.  Low-grade is like riding a roller coaster.  Fun at the time, but nobody remembers it 10 years later.  High-grade is the stuff that seems to suck at the time, but 10 years later you look back and say, "damn that was pretty fun."  Guess I will just hope for some high-grade fun.

Ps.  If someone is having trouble packing everything out and needs some help, if I'm in the area and can help I will gladly put in some work to help a fellow hunter stay within the rules.   Bottom line is that if we all start doing whatever we want pretty soon opportunities will start to disappear for all of us.    :twocents:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:54:49 AM by Torrent50 »
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2021, 08:52:43 AM »
Excellent response torrent. 👏

Do you have a spring bear tag in your boot? If so what area?

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2021, 08:57:04 AM »
I was lucky enough to draw Kelly Hill.  Hoping for some great time out there seeing what i can turn up.
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2021, 09:02:00 AM »
So WDFW has a rule with spring bear permits that you have to bring the entire pelt in and some folks are going to ignore that rule and just do what they want because they don't agree with it.  I wonder if those same people are going to hunt anywhere they want instead of just the unit they were drawn for because they don't agree with the boundary?  Or maybe someone doesn't agree with the number of permits for a particular area and the fact they didn't draw.  Just going to go out and hunt anyway?  Season ends on June 15th and don't agree.  Hunt until July?  Makes me wonder how some people determine where that line they won't cross is located...........or is it constantly shifting? 

Personally, I'll hunt only where and when I have a tag/permit, during legal hours, following the published rules.  If I'm lucky enough to get a bear, I'll haul the whole damn pelt out and jump thru the hoops.  Might it suck?  Yup.  But it's all part of the deal.  Reminds me of a conversation Rinella had on one of his shows about high-grade vs low-grade fun.  Low-grade is like riding a roller coaster.  Fun at the time, but nobody remembers it 10 years later.  High-grade is the stuff that seems to suck at the time, but 10 years later you look back and say, "damn that was pretty fun."  Guess I will just hope for some high-grade fun.

Ps.  If someone is having trouble packing everything out and needs some help, if I'm in the area and can help I will gladly put in some work to help a fellow hunter stay within the rules.   Bottom line is that if we all start doing whatever we want pretty soon opportunities will start to disappear for all of us.    :twocents:

No. People are going to follow all the laws until they are home. When it at that point is far to easy to break the law by not reporting there bear kill. That’s the problem. Maybe they removed the paws but then learn it’s the “entire pelt” so they panic and just don’t report. Make the requirement simple. Proof of sex, maybe nipples of sows or whatever they need and tooth. No problem. There motive seems to be less people reporting.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2021, 09:05:13 AM »
I was lucky enough to draw Kelly Hill.  Hoping for some great time out there seeing what i can turn up.

Totally agree with what you posted.

A buddy of mine and I drew Kelly Hill as well.  Hope to see you out there!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2021, 09:28:01 AM »
I agree with torret50 as well.

Sweating about violating some rule or law is not fun for me, so I do it right and my fun is higher grade.

But I'm not exactly 'pie in the sky' about my fellow hunters, so I'll advocate for common since rules and regulations that encourages participation and are easy to follow.

There is a massive lack of trust and lots of resentment towards WDFW, rules like bringing a whole freaking pelt is stupid when a patch with proof of sex should be adequate, and that tooth of course.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »

Sweating about violating some rule or law is not fun for me, so I do it right and my fun is higher grade.

But I'm not exactly 'pie in the sky' about my fellow hunters, so I'll advocate for common since rules and regulations that encourages participation and are easy to follow.

There is a massive lack of trust and lots of resentment towards WDFW, rules like bringing a whole freaking pelt is stupid when a patch with proof of sex should be adequate, and that tooth of course.

I think an open and honest explanation as to why they are asking for the entire pelt would help quell at least some of the back and forth we see going on here.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2021, 09:38:21 AM »

I think an open and honest explanation as to why they are asking for the entire pelt would help quell at least some of the back and forth we see going on here.
I agree, but I’d bet they don’t have one. I bet they didn’t even think of the option to just see a patch w evidence of sex.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2021, 09:38:37 AM »
THE PATCH
😄 😄 😄
HAHAHAHA

I'm not forgetting the patch anytime soon!
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]