collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Muzzleloader basics / 101  (Read 6728 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
New Muzzleloader basics / 101
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:07:37 PM »
Well my new muzzle stuffer is on the way.  I have bought a few pellets, bullets and primers that I found instock locally.  But the sheer volume of options for those, as well as the various items for using/loading/maintaining out there is eye opening.  Each brand seems to have it's idea of what each type of item should be as well.

I am curious what you pros take to range as well as (maybe more importantly?) what you use out in the field while hunting to load shoot and reload during a hunt.  supplies of many things are low/backorder but it would be great to hear from all of you what works, vs what is just not worth spending $0.01 on.

Thus my question.  Hopefully many of you answer so new ML owners have a place to read thru and avoid wasting money on junk and build themselves a good kit from the start.

If you were to put together YOUR perfect kit of essentials for a muzzle loader shooter to have what would it be? 

speed loaders, bullet starters, funnels, cleaning supplies, etc etc.  I thought I saw a speedloader a few years back that had a funnel build into it for loose powder but now....?

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
Re: New Muzzleloader basics / 101
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:30:27 PM »
Welcome to the new money pit.  LOL

What Muzzy did you order?

For my use I prefer Powder rather than pellets (I use triple 7 3F loose powder)

My son and I hunted together for a week.  Same rifle/bullet and musket cap.  Mine fired at the end of the week, his pellets did not.

I carry 3 speed loaders with measured powder and bullet.

I REALLY like the Barnze TMZ 290.  The TEZ is almost the same but easier to load.  I have 2 one shot kills on elk.

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »
I also use loose triple seven FFFg and Barnes TEZ. Excellent grouping and performance on elk. TMZs are just two snug for my Cvas. Personally haven’t had the best results with pellets. I like peep sight much more than the standard factory sight. I carry a couple speed loaders with just powder and bullets, keep extra primers in a small ziplock in my front pants pocket. Here is a picture of the Barnes bullet I pulled from the hide

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 07:51:19 PM »
I have a CVA Accura V2 stainless on the way, It comes setup for 209 primers.  I also bought BH209 breechplug and NW kit as added insurance given the wild availability of things.  Then I ordered a Eabco Peeprib, and lyman front globe setup.  yeah money pit is right!

I stopped at sportco sat and picked up some 777 50/50 pellets as well as some firestar pellets, some 300grb SST sabots and 209inline primers.  I want to go powder long term, but grabbed what was available for short term.  How is the 777 3F for fouling the bore? can you get many shots before having to clean?

What do you guys use for carrying your pre measured loads and anything special for loading into the gun in the field?  I could see trying to pour a powder charge in the field making a mess, especially in wet weather.  I have some pellets for now, as nobody seems to have powder anywhere.

What about bullet starting, carrying charges/speedloaders, etc etc..

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »
I wouldn’t say it’s the cleanest propellant out there! Seems like I have to clean every 3-4 shots or even the easy loading Barnes get a bit snug. Maybe I’m just picky.

I haven’t had many issues pouring powder from my speed loader. Even after taking a shot at an elk. No funnel needed.

I also want to add that my issues with pellets were pre 209 legalization.

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »
I am not pellet friendly, which means I do not know squat about them . Loose powder however I have some experience. If your not shooting BH209, use the standard breech plug. I personally have better luck with pyrodex select when not using BH209. I shoot Black crushrib Harvester sabot with a 300 gr Deep Curl Speer .452 bullet . With Blackhorn you will want the hotter shotgun 209s, not the ones made for muzzleloaders. 777 leaves a crud ring down where you seat your bullet that must be swabbed out before the next loading. I use 1 1/2 x 2 in patch's dampened with windex w/ ammonia to swab with . Once on each side of one then 1 dry. Not necessary with BH209.  , Ron Buggs is the VP of Harvester, Ph 800-922-6287 to order direct. Graffs are less expensive at times.

Mike

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 08:45:17 PM »
Speed loaders like this can help with field reloading. Load up a few with powder,  bullet, and primer and carry while hunting.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 08:48:53 PM »
On the maintenance side... keep that breech plug greased... always and then grease it some more   :chuckle:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 08:49:10 PM »
I use the ribbed sabots and they are easier to load.  I can get 2-3 more shots before having to clean.  Saw one bull take 6 rounds a couple seasons ago.

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 09:07:31 PM »
I use the ribbed sabots and they are easier to load.  I can get 2-3 more shots before having to clean.  Saw one bull take 6 rounds a couple seasons ago.

6 rounds?!?!?!?

One in each leg and one in the paunch before hitting the  vitals?
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 09:12:44 PM »
The guy said they were all in/near vitals. 

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:32 PM »
No disrespect intended.

I've killed a lot of elk with muzzy, and my experience is that they don't go far with a  hole in their heart or both lungs.
They are tough creatures with a strong will to live, but without a heart or both lungs, they simply don't last long.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:15:47 PM by Dan-o »
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 11:50:09 PM »
back on topic.

*  I tape a few 2" pieces  of electrical tape to the stock of my rifle.   They are completely out of the way, but in the event of bad weather, you can put a piece over your muzzle.    I have personally conducted accuracy tests with electrical tape over the muzzle,and get no difference in point of impact or accuracy of groups.

*  I also stole a bottle of my wife's clear nail polish years ago.   In really bad weather I will "paint" my musket cap on.   Dried acrylic nail polish makes a nice waterproof seal.

*  I keep a nipple pick handy .   They are small,and when you need one you really need  one.

*   I believe a small brass front bead is good for accuracy. Many come standard with a huge front bead.   Something like this:    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1184127653?pid=319797

*  And I am a fan of a ghost ring rear sight with removable aperture with a brass ring.   Seems to provide best contrast/clarity for me.   Something like this,but the removable aperture has a brass ring.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006000848?pid=661938

*  IDK what kind of ignition system you're getting,but if your choice is between number 11 caps and musket caps, look up the temperature and spark size of both and I bet you will switch to musket caps.

*  Someone already mentioned speedloaders.  They are a must.   A few come with waterproof spaces for caps.   If not, be sure to keep your caps waterproof somehow.

I love the BFRO!!!

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 11:55:29 PM »

There is a serious issue somewhere. Too far, poor accuracy, buck fever. Something.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 05:05:49 AM »
Peeprib sight all the way. You are able to get a sight further back towards the breech and it includes a rail in case you want to hunt with a scope in a state they allow scopes or an area that modern firearms are not legal but muzzleloaders are (during modern firearm season).

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]