collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Muzzleloader basics / 101  (Read 6727 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Re: New Muzzleloader basics / 101
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 12:11:24 PM »
I keep hearing deep curl mentioned but have yet to find anyplace that has them available.  Same with BH209 powder or 209M primers right now.  I waited a few months too late to get rolling on a new addiction.

Yeah I bought a peeprib after hearing some people had issues with the wilson not adjusting high enough.

back on topic.

*  I tape a few 2" pieces  of electrical tape to the stock of my rifle.   They are completely out of the way, but in the event of bad weather, you can put a piece over your muzzle.    I have personally conducted accuracy tests with electrical tape over the muzzle,and get no difference in point of impact or accuracy of groups.

*  I also stole a bottle of my wife's clear nail polish years ago.   In really bad weather I will "paint" my musket cap on.   Dried acrylic nail polish makes a nice waterproof seal.

*  I keep a nipple pick handy .   They are small,and when you need one you really need  one.

*   I believe a small brass front bead is good for accuracy. Many come standard with a huge front bead.   Something like this:    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1184127653?pid=319797

*  And I am a fan of a ghost ring rear sight with removable aperture with a brass ring.   Seems to provide best contrast/clarity for me.   Something like this,but the removable aperture has a brass ring.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006000848?pid=661938

*  IDK what kind of ignition system you're getting,but if your choice is between number 11 caps and musket caps, look up the temperature and spark size of both and I bet you will switch to musket caps.

*  Someone already mentioned speedloaders.  They are a must.   A few come with waterproof spaces for caps.   If not, be sure to keep your caps waterproof somehow.
Good info!
As an answer to your question. "yes" is the ignition system I bought, the gun is 209 from the factory.  I also bought the BH209 breechplug as well as the old school NW legal ignition kit.  So bases are covered for ignition options.  The guy at Muzzleloader Supply on River Rd in Puyallup clued me in to getting NW type ignition as those primers are more available than 209's have been.

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 04:00:57 PM »
I use the ribbed sabots and they are easier to load.  I can get 2-3 more shots before having to clean.  Saw one bull take 6 rounds a couple seasons ago.

There is a serious issue somewhere. Too far, poor accuracy, buck fever. Something.

I shot a cow 4 times in the lungs with 300gr Knight Bloodlines and she didn’t really flinch when I’d shoot. Thought I was missing for a minute, then she tipped over dead as a door nail.

Offline haftard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 04:44:10 PM »
So ive been shooting a cva optima v2 for 3 years now and have killed 3 elk with this set up. Load it with 3 of the 777 50/50 pellets and 1 350g kight bloodline bullet. I think i use the winchester 209 primers.

At 13 yards the bullet preformed well and he was dead within the time it took me to reload.

At 140 yards the bullet preformed ... Ehh ... The peddles didnt get any penetration. But regardless he was dead within the time it took ,e to reload.

At 30 yards we didnt find any of the peddles they where all in his heart and lungs.

I use the williams peep sight and just a fiberoptic front sight that came with the gun.

My wife shoots the hornady sst... I can never remeber the grain but i always buy the right one. Im pretty sure its the 300g. They preform well. Onlu reason she dosnt shoot the blood lines is they dont load in her gun worth a damn. She has a cva wolf.
Put some blue locktight on your front sight cuz they do rattle loose. Personaly i dont use a bullet starter i just use my ram rod.
I run with 4 of the basic speed loaders for pellets. They are just a tube with caps on either end. I keep a hadfull of primers (between 10 and 20. In a baggie in my pack and like 5 in my pocket. I tend to lose more primers on the 209 primwe holder bs they sell at the store. And the baggies keep them dry. Even tho i havent had any issue with the floor bord primers just target shooting.
Lasty get a range finer, shoot often, be confident, know your range, know your limits, and have fun. When the smoke clears hopfuly you have alot more work to do.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 04:50:39 PM »
I use the ribbed sabots and they are easier to load.  I can get 2-3 more shots before having to clean.  Saw one bull take 6 rounds a couple seasons ago.

There is a serious issue somewhere. Too far, poor accuracy, buck fever. Something.

I shot a cow 4 times in the lungs with 300gr Knight Bloodlines and she didn’t really flinch when I’d shoot. Thought I was missing for a minute, then she tipped over dead as a door nail.

Verified into or through the lungs? Enough time to reload 4 times? Wow!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 05:58:35 PM »
I have two TC's been doing this for 25 or more years now. I shoot triple 7 fffg powder, one gun 310grn full lead conical knight sabot bullet the other 250grn TC shockwave. Both I use #11 caps. I tried muskets once 10 years ago and they kept falling off and I got nervous that the slots in them would just be another spot for moisture to get in, my guns always go bang so no need to change.

In one pocket some extra caps and the other 2 speed loaders , in the pack a zip with some pre soaked cleaning pads a zip with some pre soaked bore butter pads a cleaning jag and a bullet puller. Never really needed them but a buddy has and after a 7 mile round trip back to the rig to get him stuff to clean with so he could keep his eye on a buck I decided to start carrying these things with me.

I never have to shoot more than once but I can load 6-8 times at the range without cleaning. If you are not able to get more than one or two bullets down the pipe then you are likely not burning all your powder. This is a downfall of pellets if your barrel would be the most accurate at 90 and your shooting 2 pellets then you may possibly be just throwing 10 grns of powder down the barrel on the ground unnecessarily fouling your barrel, You're also loosing money. You can test this by placing a tarp in front of your shooting bench and check it after the shot, some find unspent powder on the tarp. If so powder gives you the ability to work your load down pellets do not.   

If two pellets work accurately and you're able to load several then your on track and don't change a thing, good luck.  :tup:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline BigTines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »
Question from a newb to all the experts....

What do you guys do at the end of a hunting day? Reuse the load for the next day? Shoot out the bullet? Push it out(is the bullet reusable?)? If you reuse it for next day at what point do you get a fresh new load? End of the week?

Also does what you do depend on the weather? Ie if it’s raining all day do you shoot it out and not if it’s sunny?

Also do you put electrical tape over the end? Can you do that with a muzzleloader?

Not sure if it makes a difference but  I’m shooting an Accura v2 with BH209 and 209m primer and saboted Barnes Tez.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 11:34:47 AM »

What do you guys do at the end of a hunting day? Reuse the load for the next day? Shoot out the bullet? Push it out(is the bullet reusable?)? If you reuse it for next day at what point do you get a fresh new load? End of the week?

Also does what you do depend on the weather? Ie if it’s raining all day do you shoot it out and not if it’s sunny?

Also do you put electrical tape over the end? Can you do that with a muzzleloader?

Not sure if it makes a difference but  I’m shooting an Accura v2 with BH209 and 209m primer and saboted Barnes Tez.
I leave it in for the entire season now.  I'm currently using an inline with the closed breech--bh209--209 primer, but I cover the end of the barrel with some plastic.  I just take the primer out at the end of the day.
When I used a sidelock with pyrodex powder, I'd have to shoot every day or every other day or it was a real gamble on it working.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
Pellets are fine, I've been shooting them for years with no problems.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline haftard

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »
If it is a realy wet season i will unload and clean the gun every 3 days. I personaly do not tape the end of my barrel. Alot of people do. I just dont. If im hunting from home the gun comes in the house and out of the case every night. In camp i jusy leave it in the truck.

When i do unload the gun to clean it i dont reuse anything but the bullet(new sabot)

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 01:46:33 PM »

I leave mine loaded the entire season at the end if I havent shot it I push it out dump powder and use those bullets at the range. I always start a hunt with a fresh bullet. For got to mention in my post above yes I keep a couple pieces of electrical tape on my stock for heavy rain to cover my tip. if its light rain I'm usually keeping my muzzle down and covering my breech under my jacket anyway. when muzzy hunting I rarely shoulder my rifle but def not in the rain.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 01:50:05 PM »
tagging along

Offline Guardhair

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
  I always keep a few xtra caps in my snoose can. That way I’ll never be without either!

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 02:13:16 PM »
Oh, and when you fill those speed loaders, make sure the cap you put inside is fresh (not used).

A "friend" told me about this.  Makes it darn hard to finish your hunt successfully if you ignore this advice. :bash:
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 02:29:07 PM »
That's one reason why I like the 209s.  Don't have to be fresh. :tup:

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2021, 12:55:43 AM »

Verified into or through the lungs? Enough time to reload 4 times? Wow!

I just looked at the photo. It was 3 in the back of the lungs with it slightly quartered away and one in the front of the shoulder. Dead on her feet, really strange though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]