collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Buying a new boat  (Read 8187 times)

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Buying a new boat
« on: February 24, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »
Any insight on a new boat purchase?  Wondering if listed price is what is expected to pay or if I need to talk them down?  Try to get them to throw in gear?  Never bought a new boat. Thanks guys

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
Re: Buying a new boat
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 07:17:14 PM »
Any insight on a new boat purchase?  Wondering if listed price is what is expected to pay or if I need to talk them down?  Try to get them to throw in gear?  Never bought a new boat. Thanks guys

If it’s the type of boat that lives in the water make sure you have moorage before you buy.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:22:45 PM »

If it’s the type of boat that lives in the water make sure you have moorage before you buy.

Don’t need moorage.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »
with the sportsman show and boat show soon there after there should be some decent boat pricing.  If you got 2-3k below asking you did well.  Maybe go the extras route, and pay msrp but get extra goodies thrown in :dunno:

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:57:06 PM »
I’ve bought a NW jet and a Hewes brand new from the shows
The dickering is expected
Have fun
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »
Boat market is crazy right now. Not sure dickering will get a guy too far right now. If you don’t buy it, someone else will.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline pbg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »
anything you think you would need for the boat like downriggers, kicker motor, rod holders, pot puller ect. get them with the boat its only a few extra dollars on your payment compaired to the thousands you will need to come up with after you bring the boat home

Online hiway_99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scout
    • https://m.facebook.com/100088313187853/
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 08:24:35 PM »
With the current market I would doubt there's any negotiation on price.  What are you looking at?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Online duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 08:32:23 PM »
Yeah I was told until fall to receive a simple jon boat because they are so far behind on production.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 08:52:40 PM »
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 09:20:09 PM »
If they have dealers, shop around as prices and availability differ.  If possible, find a dealer close to where they make them as the delivery fee is lower.

If you can buy in Oregon, you won't pay tax on the motor or any accessories if you get them on a separate invoice.

Make sure you know exactly what comes with it, lower prices sometimes means they didn't buy the second row of seats, canvas or some options that are expensive to add later.

Get at or near max rated hp unless you are very sure you don't need it.

Be picky on the trailer, check the load capacity of the trailer and tires compared to the boat and add on kicker, gear, fuel, etc.  Dealers scrimp on trailers all the time.  Get a trusted brand of trailer with some type of bearing greasing system.

Develop a budget for stuff you need to add when you get it home, then leave at least 2-3 days and 50% more budget.  It amazed me all the stuff that needs to be added to a new boat to make it fishable - or pay someone to do it.  Extra battery, sonar, VHF, downriggers, extra electrical stuff, rod holders, net holder, storage stuff, kicker, kicker fuel line, WN numbers, dock lines, bow line, fenders, motor bluetooth adapter, battery charger, pot puller plug, list is pretty long actually.

Get insurance before you pick it up so you're covered on the way home.  Look into insurance for the kicker, electronics and fishing gear, it's only a few bucks a year and stuff disappears all the time.

Break in the motor according to the manufacturer's instructions, takes about 1/2 day in a lake.

Offline Badhabit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 10:02:25 PM »
Stein has been there done that based upon his post. I've been there done that as well and complely agree. Good luck on your new purchase whatever it is.

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 12:03:56 AM »
Try to get them to at least include equipment to make the boat water legal. If I recall it requires fire extinguisher, lifejackets, throwable flotation device, visual and/or sound signaling device. Different size boats have different requirements. Also, enough batteries.
You can also see about store credit and/or discount so when you want to add things you have their money to spend or a good discount to use. Maybe buy at their cost. Be cautious about the electronics. If they are add ons make sure you pick the product not them. I got a older model fish finder/GPS thrown in when they picked rather than a newer one I would have chosen. Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 05:09:04 AM »
Pretty much set on a Raider boat. The reviews are so good.  Still on the fence about hard top or soft. Pro fisherman 220 or Mariner 208/218.  First priority is the Columbia for salmon but I’m planning on doing some crabbing and shrimping as well.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 07:38:28 AM »
I would go hardtop in a heartbeat unless you need to fit it in a garage or some other constraint.  My least favorite boating activity is putting the top up and down 6,000 times a season.  Bigtime first world problem for sure.

You can also mount stuff up there which is totally out of the way.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]