collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Buying a new boat  (Read 8191 times)

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Buying a new boat
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the reply! I have gone back and forth on the hard top. Lost out on a Hewes with a hard top, but the 'no top' one is still around.
I have fished a lot with 'no top', and the majority of the time it is fine, but there are days when it would be nice to get under a bit of cover. Or be able to sack out for a bit in a cabin.

I used to run a 17'. Thought I would never go hard top let alone full cabin. Ran my 17' without the softtop for years, then never ran it without the top, rain or shine.

Then boat shopping for bigger boat  I was leaning 3/4 top, then full top and ended full cabin with bulkhead door. I absolutely love the full cabin. Re steer station is a dream. Full control from the deck, it's a game changer for me when I fish alone or with my kid. Being able to lock up all my gear and the bonus of sleeper seats was a big deal maker to.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 08:15:44 PM »
I could make money on my 6 year old Hewescraft right now...

Not a great market. Aluminum prices are high.

I would buy new over used. Prices aren't that different.

Raider is a good boat. Ive owned two hewes, basically the same as raider since the owner's where once business partners and split year's ago.. hard top all day long..my first hewes was  soft top and now I have a full cabin.  Protection from the elements, both sun and rain. Lockable door is a piece of mind for secure gear storage. And I can sleep on it. The extra weight is nice to rides better than a lighter soft top version.

How big is the one you have now? Do you know 'about' how much weight the top adds? Been looking at an older one...

I'm running a 22' now. Full cabin is about 600lbs more than a soft top.

220 OP?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 05:34:18 PM »
Put a deposit on a Pro fisherman. Looking for some input.
1)Gonna do a Yamy 9.9 kicker. Should I do a garmin on that or just do a bow mount electric with the gps control on that?  Looks like it will be similar in price.
2)Electronics recommendations please. Gonna need the full gammit for offshore fishing
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:02:53 PM by bear »

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 05:46:16 PM »
Put a deposit on a Pro fisherman. Looking for some input.
1)Gonna do a Yamy 9.9 kicker. Should I do a garmin on that or just do a bow mount electric with the gps control on that?  Looks like it. Ya be similar I. Price
2)Electronics recommendations please. Gonna need the full gammit for offshore fishing

I am going through the same thought process.  I decided on the Garmin because of a few reasons:

1.  I don't want a bow mount hanging on the bow because I climb over it all the time on beaches as well as it would be in the way when anchoring.

2.  Weight & room - I don't want the extra weight on my boat and don't really have a great place for a big battery bank.

3.  Simplicity - the Garmin system seems simpler than having to use two motors.

4.  Throttle control on the kicker

5.  Theft - one more thing I have to figure out how to lock and avoid getting ripped off and less stuff attracts less attention.

6  Capacity - I can troll until I run out of gas under any conditions vs having to size batteries & running out of juice

7.  Compatibility - No issue with the Garmin, some of the bow mounts only work with proprietary systems.

Probably more to add to the list, I think it depends on where you are fishing and what your boat can handle.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
After some research I’m leaning toward the Lowrance hds12 live system.  It can support the radar, gps navigation, and fish finding. Any one install something like this yourself?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2021, 09:42:27 AM »
The only thing remotely tricky is getting the transducer in the right spot and the wire back to the helm.  If you don't get it right it won't work when you are running.

The wiring is simple, anyone with familiarity with electronics should have no problem.  Use quality marine components, heat shrink adhesive terminals and spray any exposed metal (terminal blocks, switches, fuse holders, etc) with anti-corrosion spray.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2021, 10:09:41 AM »
After some research I’m leaning toward the Lowrance hds12 live system.  It can support the radar, gps navigation, and fish finding. Any one install something like this yourself?

I've done all my own wiring and rigging. Pretty straight forward. Drilling holes in new boats is fun. :chuckle:

I used to run Lowrance but switched to Simrad. I love the Simrad system I'm running right now. 12" at the helm, 7" at the rear helm, networked to radar, etc.  If your serious about bottom detail get a Airmar transducer. I'm running a TM 150 and have been pleased with the performance. Networking everything is easy using a NMEA system as well as the plug and play links.

If you have any questions holler.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2021, 10:34:50 AM »
Screen shots if your interested. Second pick the brite flash in line with the downrigger ball drag is a hook up on a king.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2021, 07:50:46 PM »
Lol. Got the boat but now can’t get 2 motors to match!  There isn’t a Yamaha 9.9 remote 25” shaft kicker in the US right now!  Told the dealer to just put Honda on and now he can’t seem to find a Honda 225. I ordered my fish finder and gps before they were sold out at least. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2021, 08:58:17 PM »
Mix and match, that’s what the cool kids do.  I have black and grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »
Take a look at Raymarine for your electronics.  Best there is in my opinion.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 07:01:02 AM »
Mix and match, that’s what the cool kids do.  I have black and grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don’t wanna do that on a new boat.

Take a look at Raymarine for your electronics.  Best there is in my opinion.

Going with Lowrance hds live

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 09:40:25 AM »
Yeah, I get it but still did it on my new boat.  I wanted the Merc Command Thrust main but liked the Yamaha kicker much better.  Good luck, it's a bunch of money so hopefully you can get exactly what you want.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]