collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Legislation aims to drastically reduce Idaho wolf population  (Read 9050 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Legislation aims to drastically reduce Idaho wolf population
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 07:45:32 AM »
We probably will never see this either:

•To reclassify from state endangered to state threatened status: 6 successful breeding pairs present for 3 consecutive years, with 2 successful breeding pairs in each of the three recovery regions.

•To reclassify from state threatened to state sensitive status: 12 successful breeding pairs present for 3 consecutive years, with 4 successful breeding pairs in each of the three recovery regions.

•To delist from state sensitive status: 15 successful breeding pairs present for 3 consecutive years, with 4 successful breeding pairs in each of the three recovery regions and 3 successful breeding pairs anywhere in the state.

•In addition to the delisting objective of 15 successful breeding pairs distributed in the three geographic regions for 3 consecutive years, an alternative delisting objective is also established whereby the gray wolf will be considered for delisting when 18 successful breeding pairs are present, with 4 successful breeding pairs in the Eastern Washington region, 4 successful breeding pairs in the Northern Cascades region, 4 successful breeding pairs distributed in the Southern Cascades and Northwest Coast region, and 6 anywhere in the state
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Loup Loup

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WSTA, ITA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters, F4WM
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 07:52:08 AM »
hunter399 has pretty much spelled it out for everybody.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 08:02:27 AM »
When you talk of aerial hunting the bill will be dead on arrival. Even in Alaska it is unpopular. Expanding hunting seasons and more importantly trapping opportunities will fly under the radar and do the job.

A low cost trapping opportunity for out of state trappers would be a win-win for the state.
Im curious to see where this goes.  Expanded hunting and trapping will do nothing to curb wolves.  You you have to kill 50-75% of the population each year just to maintain! No way to do that without arial gunning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 10:45:28 AM »
When you talk of aerial hunting the bill will be dead on arrival. Even in Alaska it is unpopular. Expanding hunting seasons and more importantly trapping opportunities will fly under the radar and do the job.

A low cost trapping opportunity for out of state trappers would be a win-win for the state.
Im curious to see where this goes.  Expanded hunting and trapping will do nothing to curb wolves.  You you have to kill 50-75% of the population each year just to maintain! No way to do that without arial gunning.

I'm pretty sure aerial means were not used to rid them the first time. It can be done with the right motivations. Like money!
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »

I'm pretty sure aerial means were not used to rid them the first time. It can be done with the right motivations. Like money!
No it wasnt but the study done outside of Denali NP said that in the normal course of hunting and trapping even with liberal seasons you could only take a very small % of the population. It may not be popular, but there was a reason why most bush piolets had an AR in the plane!

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was poison that actually did them in the first time. Sure, boot hunting/bait hunting/trapping took care of some, but the poison did the heavy lifting.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was poison that actually did them in the first time. Sure, boot hunting/bait hunting/trapping took care of some, but the poison did the heavy lifting.

Not that WA or ID will see either but you are 100% correct.

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 10:09:39 AM »
How hard is it to fly a paramotor?

Asking for a friend

Offline Loup Loup

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: WSTA, ITA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters, F4WM
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
A friend told me its the landing part thats hard.

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »

Asking for a friend

Better question would be

How hard would it be to shoot a rifle while flying one?

I would think it would be nearly impossible.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 12:23:38 PM »
From what I hear, I think this legislation has a good chance of passing.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2021, 02:23:56 PM »

Asking for a friend

Better question would be

How hard would it be to shoot a rifle while flying one?

I would think it would be nearly impossible.
They got tandem ones, I fly you shoot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 07:46:21 PM »

No it wasnt but the study done outside of Denali NP said that in the normal course of hunting and trapping even with liberal seasons you could only take a very small % of the population. It may not be popular, but there was a reason why most bush piolets had an AR in the plane!

Normal trapping in Alaska is having one trapper with a "claimed" area the size of a Washington county. Also weather and access issues are much different. Apples and oranges.

From my cabin I can walk 400 miles straight north and never cross another road.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:47:51 AM by Cougartail »
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2021, 08:29:52 PM »

I’m not sure about that with out of state trapping we already have traps under every tree in the panhandle. I think it’s Educating the wolves  more than any else.  I agree 100 percent better just to go with expanding hopefully to year around trapping and hunting seasons

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2021, 10:21:34 PM »
Ya they are, its crazy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]