collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Checking traps without having to go there?  (Read 13427 times)

Offline Goshawk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Checking traps without having to go there?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »
The WDFW Agent I spoke to was stumped and needed some time to research the question.  I don't like finding out what I did was wrong by brail. I'd rather ask first and know what I'm getting into.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 09:53:01 AM »
It would also help not leaving tracks in and out if you where in mud or snow so people can't follow your tracks to your trap location.

An excellent point for traps in more populated areas.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
As it turns out, I looked up "checking traps with drones" on Youtube and got several hits.  It's already being used in other states.  I'm just slow to come up with ideas.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:05:30 AM by Goshawk »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
If you have an animal in a cage, and wdfw says 'it was in there for 24 hours or longer' (based on whatever evidence) then having a time stamped pic showing that within that 24 hour period the cage was indeed empty less than 24 hours ago, would be good evidence to have in your defence.

I wasn't trying to satisfy a law that didn't exist.

Offline UrbanTrapper

• Life Member: NRA, SCI, DSC, NTA, WSTA, ITA, ATA
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WWC, HHC, NTA, WSTA
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 10:53:43 AM »
We do not have "trap checks" in Washington.  The law reads that an animal may not be left in a trap longer than a certain length of time.  24 hours for a live trap, 72 hours for a kill trap.  Technically you do not have to check the trap for the entire season as long as there is not an animal inside. 
I personally use Arlo wireless security cameras on my trapline.  I see no reason that enforcement would have an issue with using technology.  In theory, this makes trapping more ethical. We are able to remove animals more quickly because we know the instance they are captured, rather than only checking the traps once per day.  I have been checked by the enforcement in my area multiple times, and while we certainly have items we do not see eye to eye on, cameras have not been an issue.

Exactly right!  I think many of us are over-thinking this.  The letter and the intent of the Reg are pretty obviously to keep an animal from being in a cage trap longer than 24 hours.  How we achieve that standard is completely open to new techniques.  I remember an old adage from my Army days "Never ask a question to which there is an answer you don't want to hear."

Offline fire*guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 12:53:17 PM »
I used to trap back when I was in high school and for some time after that, this was before the foothold and conibears where made illegal.  I remember those early days fondly. I enjoyed just being out in the woods or ponds learning about animal habits , looking for new set locations  and always the excitement of walking up on a set that your made just days before to see what you might have in the trap.
I think people are just getting to caught up in the technology thing, people need to just slow down and enjoy the sport for what it is.

Sorry,  just my two cents....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 01:06:24 PM by fire*guy »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 12:59:48 PM »
None of this tech would ever work for me, traplines would be long and snowmobile only, no cell service.

I'd have to ride the line each day, and that's kinda the point, for me, anyways.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
None of this tech would ever work for me, traplines would be long and snowmobile only, no cell service.

I'd have to ride the line each day, and that's kinda the point, for me, anyways.

I know what you mean KF. I get to drive everyday.  But I have them where I can check with a set of binoculars.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »
You good at stretching cats Ridgeratt?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Online JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 04:44:31 PM »
I used to trap back when I was in high school and for some time after that, this was before the foothold and conibears where made illegal.  I remember those early days fondly. I enjoyed just being out in the woods or ponds learning about animal habits , looking for new set locations  and always the excitement of walking up on a set that your made just days before to see what you might have in the trap.
I think people are just getting to caught up in the technology thing, people need to just slow down and enjoy the sport for what it is.

100% agree ... but on my nuisance jobs I use the SPYPOINTS ! Checking the cat and marten lines it’s like Christmas morning each time

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »

100% agree ... but on my nuisance jobs I use the SPYPOINTS ! Checking the cat and marten lines it’s like Christmas morning each time

What model of Spypoint are you having good luck with? After a firmware upgrade, both my Link-darks no longer transmit.  Just the firmware upgrade made the signal strength go from 80% to 50%.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2021, 08:55:03 PM »

I was thinking the same thing I love “trap check day” it reminds me of Christmas morning when I was 5 ha ha. Using a drone in certain areas would have a lot of advantages where I trap. Biggest being not leaving tracks for someone else to follow and mess with or steal your stuff and or catch. Plus the time saving would definitely allow a longer line. Having trail cams on all my traps would take the fun out of it for me though I love checking traps. I’m going to look into this too I’m pretty confident I would be legal in Idaho as long as I checked as required time wise

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 10:01:44 PM »
Just to be clear, I check 90% of my stuff from my own two feet. There are a couple of sets where I'd have to leave my vehicle along a very public road, then loose a couple of hundred feed in elevation to get to the bottom of were there is some great beaver activity.  On those sets, I'm in the air in about 5 minutes, and at 30mph I'm able to get down into the valley and see exactly what I have going on for the day.  Obviously, if the trap is occupied, then I'll have to go down into the hole anyways, but when it's not, I just gained an hour and a lot of sweat by not climbing down and up again.

Now, what I really need is a drone with enough payload that I could snag the trap and fly it back!!!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 06:22:51 AM »
Just to be clear, I check 90% of my stuff from my own two feet. There are a couple of sets where I'd have to leave my vehicle along a very public road, then loose a couple of hundred feed in elevation to get to the bottom of were there is some great beaver activity.  On those sets, I'm in the air in about 5 minutes, and at 30mph I'm able to get down into the valley and see exactly what I have going on for the day.  Obviously, if the trap is occupied, then I'll have to go down into the hole anyways, but when it's not, I just gained an hour and a lot of sweat by not climbing down and up again.

Now, what I really need is a drone with enough payload that I could snag the trap and fly it back!!!

That’s how I understood your intended use. I think it would be useful and a legal way to spot check certain sets along the line while walking/driving to check the rest of the line :tup: I don’t see any legal issues but think you’re smart double checking.

Offline wags

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 09:05:59 AM »
Don't rely on anything someone at the department tells you in a phone conversation. The answer to your question could go either way depending upon the opinion of the person on the other end of the phone. And it is only their opinion.
However, if it is an enforcement person you are talking to on the phone, and they are working, ei. "acting in their official capacity" you are legally in the clear to record the conversation without their knowledge. This could help you out at a latter date. You can do the same thing while talking to them in person.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]