collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 Elk  (Read 1839 times)

Offline hunting4sanity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
2020 Elk
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:47:37 PM »
I normally hunt with one of my sons or all three of them if possible. Last year due to harvest on the farm and the timing of several other things I decided to go solo, thinking in reality it would be more of a scouting trip for later. However, I got into elk and it was now hunting, not scouting.
I spotted the group of elk about a mile away. Through the spotter I could tell there was one mature bull that was either broken or funky on one side. I planned out a stalk and dropped back getting the terrain and wind in my favor. The next time I saw them was at just over 600 yards, but I could only find cows & calves at this point. My next terrain goal put me in the mid 300's from the group and I now saw a spike and the raghorn that were in the group, but still not the mature bull. After a belly crawl up to the last small rise between me and the elk I could now see the bull at 214 yards. He was a busted up 7x7. For a second I thought, do I leave him because he's broken up? In a split second sanity returned. No way I was passing on this opportunity! I was proud of the long stalk I had just made, I realized I had a great old warrior right in front me and the broken antlers immediately became 'character.' I slowly shifted to the right a few feet to get a better opening and shot.
As I was coming up out of the small coulee between me and the bull I could see his good antler sticking into the sky and felt very good about my decision. It was a very special moment, in 2019 I missed all of every season due to a back and leg problem. I was a bit worried about the task ahead that I knew I had to do on my own, but at that moment everything in the world was good. I've decided I'm the slowest elk-breaker-downer in the world, but I got two loads out before dark and got a beautiful sunset going in for the second trip. That night I experienced the worst leg cramps of my life. I don't want to be too big of a drama llama, but when it was done and I came out with the head, I was shot. I just laid on my back looking up at the clouds and smiling at the pack that had just completely exhausted me. During the first two trips packing my elk out I was thinking I can't ever do another solo hunt, especially for elk, now I'm hoping for one more.
Disappointments are inevitable, misery is optional.

Offline salmon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: 2020 Elk
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Great elk and congrats to you!

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 09:59:02 PM »
Great Bull and great scenery and experience. Sounds like you really earned that one.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:42:05 PM »
That's an awesome story. It really portrays what hunting can be: lots of hard work and immense satisfaction.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 10:46:31 PM »
That's great, congrats to you!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:51:49 PM »
Great bull.

Great write up.

I was cramping up by the end.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 04:50:42 AM »
Great job on the hunt and photos thanks for sharing

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing your hunt! Great bull, story and pics!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline DWBMontana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 08:59:37 AM »
Great bull! Wonderful pictures.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal