collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey Regions  (Read 2227 times)

Offline MadMooner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Turkey Regions
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »
Here turkey, turkey, turkey......

Klickitat? Up toward Colville? Colfax? If you were to start out looking at an area for spring, which and why?

I've been hunting turkeys here in WA twice. Both times over by Wenatchee. Didn't see a damn thing. Lol. Been deer and elk hunting in the above areas several times each and always seem to see turkey! Obviously in the fall though.

I want to take my 7yo on a turkey trip this spring and trying to decide what region to focus on.   

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Turkey Regions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
Download the Turkey hunting pamphlet.   

There's a region where a ton are killed,  a region where some are killed and a region where a few are killed.    It's the same year after year.

If you are learning, and want to kill a Turkey, go where all the turkeys are being killed. 

Scout out some public land next to farms. Kill some turkeys.

Good luck!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:38:58 AM »
If you decide to try and slam the spring season. DONT do what i did, which was to look at the table in the beginning of the pamphlet for PMU's to pick where to get birds, even though this table shows "subspecies" the NWTF wont recognize for submission to these. you must use the attached sentences for considering submission in first part of pamphlet...hope this helps if you decide to spend the money to travel and try for a pin!

USN retired
1981-2011

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 11:00:11 AM »
Colville area is going to have the most birds and highest harvest. Go where there are the most birds.

Offline MadMooner

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »
Colville it is.

If I scout mid March, will the turkeys be in completely different areas by late April/May? Or do they hold fairly tight to an area unless pushed out?

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 10:56:59 AM »
I hunt most of the same areas in Spring and Fall in the Colville area. Knock some doors and let people know you will be turkey hunting with your young son for the first time. Some people who say no to an adult will let a youth hunt.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »
Colville it is.

If I scout mid March, will the turkeys be in completely different areas by late April/May? Or do they hold fairly tight to an area unless pushed out?
Unless you're scouting to just try to learn the general area scouting in mid March is too early. You'll find them pretty much in their big winter flocks and at least you'll know their are birds in the general area, but those flocks do break up and move on. Some may, and probably will, hang around, but most will break off and move on. Hard to do a lot of scouting then because many roads are still impassable. Good to be an early bird approaching landowners, but might find the land you're looking at might not have any birds left when the actual hunt starts. Best bet is too wait and try to get over a little closer to the actual hunt.Lots of birds, you won't have trouble finding em, just might have to look harder to find some where you can actually hunt.

Offline MadMooner

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 10:17:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice, all.
Much appreciated!

Offline Jredd3240

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 06:16:52 PM »
First time turkey hunting looking for places and good time of season to go open to both western and eastern areas

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 07:35:15 PM »
First time turkey hunting looking for places and good time of season to go open to both western and eastern areas

I'm not sure if this is a question or a description.  :chuckle:

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:25:54 PM »

@Jredd3240
Do not waste any of your first season on the west side unless you fill BOTH your east side tags first! The west side easterns are tough to find and hunt. Spend your time enjoying birds and (usually) better weather on the east side, though early season snow is very common on the east side, lol. Having a much better chance on the east side will make you a better turkey hunter and success is easier to build on than a season of not much which is what the west side offers most in my experience. Have  a couple fun hunts on the east side then decide if the west side birds are still a draw. For some it becomes a passion and they live in the west side turkey woods and it is awesome when they take us with them. For what it is worth I have killed a few turkeys, all on the east side, been lucky to hunt with some great guys that know what they are doing but the  chance to call a turkey on your own is only bested by calling one for a kid!! :twocents:

Get out there and have a blast!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal