collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Starting a 501 C 3  (Read 4538 times)

Offline DWBMontana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Starting a 501 C 3
« on: March 02, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »
I would like to hear from anyone who has been part of starting a non profit 501 c 3 that may have advice for someone, (me) that has very knowledge of what is curtails. I am contemplating starting a non profit to reach out to service members and provide fishing and hunting trips to them at no cost to them if it can be avoided. Thanks!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Starting a 501 C 3
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:10:19 PM »
I would like to hear from anyone who has been part of starting a non profit 501 c 3 that may have advice for someone, (me) that has very knowledge of what is curtails. I am contemplating starting a non profit to reach out to service members and provide fishing and hunting trips to them at no cost to them if it can be avoided. Thanks!

A noble endeavor for sure... My question is have you explored all the options of joining under one of the existing organizations? What is your overall goal? I have talked to several folks that are part of 501c3 groups leaderships and a LOT of work goes into the work, fundraising and compliance. Perhaps your goals don't align with other groups... But the shortest distance between 2 points is joining another already established group.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 09:47:00 PM »
That’s great advice.

Running a 501c3 is no different than running a for profit, with the exception of the obvious.  Lots of admin which means lots of time not doing what you really want to do.  If the need isn’t being filled elsewhere, have at it.  If you could plug in as an extension of another group, even better.

Maybe check out The Fallen Outdoors or Salmon for Soldiers

And yes, I can check the “been there done that” with the 501c3 admin experience ;-)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:08:59 PM by ctwiggs1 »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 09:57:26 PM »
Feel free to pm me if you prefer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:29:41 AM »
some wise guidance given so far.

Been there done that as well.

Do you have additional people interested in being Board members?
Are you ready to spend time and money on non-profit insurance, Directors & officers, accountant services to file non-profit?

I like the suggestion with teaming up with an existing non-profit and volunteering services, and or expanding their mission if it isn't already addressed.

Offline DWBMontana

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »
First, I appreciate all the responses! A little background on me...I actually sat on the board of directors of a non profit here in Montana. However, I was not involved in the organization in the beginning of it. I had several concerns that caused me to leave this group and begin considering starting a non profit. I actually came into contact with a former Navy vet here in Montana, he still does some contracting for the Navy and keeps in close contact to quite a few active duty members. With his help, and the help of some others, we hosted 5 active duty Navy members for a cow elk hunt back in Jan.. It went off very well and I would like to continue this effort in the future. Myself and a few friends lease for hunting a large ranch that offers a great chance to bring in veterans for at least a couple hunts a year. I have really stressed to the other members the idea of sharing the lease with those that have served or are serving this country. Another factor in becoming a non profit here in Montana is the "Purple Heart Recipients Program" the state runs. A non profit, can apply with the state of Montana to host veterans who qualify to hunt and receive tags donated back to the state by the public for those veterans awarded a PH and certain criteria is met. I hope this explains my thinking a bit...I am not the brightest star in the sky, but I do have good intentions!

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:51:59 AM »
First, I appreciate all the responses! A little background on me...I actually sat on the board of directors of a non profit here in Montana. However, I was not involved in the organization in the beginning of it. I had several concerns that caused me to leave this group and begin considering starting a non profit. I actually came into contact with a former Navy vet here in Montana, he still does some contracting for the Navy and keeps in close contact to quite a few active duty members. With his help, and the help of some others, we hosted 5 active duty Navy members for a cow elk hunt back in Jan.. It went off very well and I would like to continue this effort in the future. Myself and a few friends lease for hunting a large ranch that offers a great chance to bring in veterans for at least a couple hunts a year. I have really stressed to the other members the idea of sharing the lease with those that have served or are serving this country. Another factor in becoming a non profit here in Montana is the "Purple Heart Recipients Program" the state runs. A non profit, can apply with the state of Montana to host veterans who qualify to hunt and receive tags donated back to the state by the public for those veterans awarded a PH and certain criteria is met. I hope this explains my thinking a bit...I am not the brightest star in the sky, but I do have good intentions!

sounds like you are in the right place, but the costs may outweigh the good intentions. Rough Cost of Non-Profit Directors & Officers insurance $750annually.  Rough  Cost of General liability $1500-2000 then add cost of tax preparation and filing for 501c3.  If you find those to be justifiable costs as an indication for budget then you are going down the right path in addition to your other expenses.  I like your approach to the "purple heart recipients program".    If i recall the lead time for filing for a 501c3 is 9 - 18 months from filing to receipt, but i haven't looked for a few years.  That may have improved or gotten worse during the trump administration as it was more than 4 years since i last explored.

Offline DWBMontana

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 03:36:00 PM »

sounds like you are in the right place, but the costs may outweigh the good intentions. Rough Cost of Non-Profit Directors & Officers insurance $750annually.  Rough  Cost of General liability $1500-2000 then add cost of tax preparation and filing for 501c3.  If you find those to be justifiable costs as an indication for budget then you are going down the right path in addition to your other expenses.  I like your approach to the "purple heart recipients program".    If i recall the lead time for filing for a 501c3 is 9 - 18 months from filing to receipt, but i haven't looked for a few years.  That may have improved or gotten worse during the trump administration as it was more than 4 years since i last explored.
To be honest, i had not considered insurance, that is something I must think about. thanks.

Offline DWBMontana

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 03:37:27 PM »
I do not see a budget over $50,000 , i believe if we would remain under that, it is a very simple 3 or 4 question form from the IRS.

Offline DWBMontana

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »
Thanks to all for the kind advice. I have reached out to a friend who has been involved in the start up of several NP's in the past. She has offered her assistance. From talking to her, it seems the lead time to get IRS approval is really quite short. She also mentioned having some form of liability insurance for events, she also mentioned having participants sign waivers, something I also knew needed to be done. Thanks again to those that commented or messaged me, feel free to continue ....

Offline DWBMontana

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 03:03:16 PM »
Just a quick update on my quest. I have spoke to a couple of people who were involved in starting a 501 c 3, they have been a great help, even sharing by laws and articles of the non profit they started. I also met with our accountant who is also willing to help get this going. It looks like the time frame is actually not terribly long after all, it seems the IRS will frequently have an org. registered in just a few weeks.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal