collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knife Sets  (Read 4044 times)

Offline pnwhunterandrea

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Knife Sets
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:08:59 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm looking at getting a new knife set for the upcoming season. Anyone have any tried and true favorites that they recommend? Any info is much appreciated!!

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Knife Sets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 10:32:22 AM »
I'm assuming you're talking about knives/processing tools to carry in your pack kill kit?  I carry one fixed blade (older, very lightweight Gerber, or one of my custom fixed blades) and an Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife with 3 extra blades (usually more than I need).  For taking skull cap on deer, I carry an SOG folding saw; for elk, I carry a Wyoming Saw.  Not sure if this is what you intended with your topic?     
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:36:24 AM »
Lil more info?
What would be primary uses?
What is your budget?
How quick do you need it?

If you have some time, look at the Budget Skinners in the Sponsor classifieds. I have two of them and they arrive sharp and work great.
The types with replaceable blades are a good option: Havalon, etc

My all time favorite knife is a D.H. Russell belt knife. There are copy cats, but i love my original  :twocents:

Offline pnwhunterandrea

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 10:39:03 AM »
Yes that's exactly what I was talking about. I've got a couple individual ones that I keep in my pack, but I've been searching for something that comes all together. I feel like I'm not going to be able to find something with great quality though.

Primary use is going to be for gutting/skinning big game such as deer and elk. Budget wise I'd like to stay under $300 total. And I don't need it until August/September at the earliest. Thanks for the info so far!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
The 3 blade alaskan set has always piqued my interest.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/AK00030FG/knives-of-alaska-professional-hunters-triple-knife-combo-set-black-santoprene-suregrip-handles-brown-leather-sheath

But I carry outdoor edge pro w extra blades and it works good.  That swing blade really unzips an elk hide..fast.

This is like mine, I love it, that u shaped blade gets under the hide and its like a zipper.

On those tough areas of hide like the rump it takes more effort though.

Oh and the blade locks in really hard, might be defective.  I have to pry against a rock or antler tip to unlock it.  Might try to warranty it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:33:16 AM by KFhunter »

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 11:26:25 AM »
I carry an Outdoor Egde folding saw and their replaceable blade knife with gut hook.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-ROC-30-Razor-Pro-Orange/dp/B00ZNV1RZI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+edge&qid=1614885882&sr=8-5

All in for $65 and to your door in a day or two.

I also have a Havalon Piranta for boning knife type of work, but that's in my truck as I don't bone anything in the field.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 01:09:56 PM »
With a modest budget it’s really hard to beat outdoor edge.  Good quality at a great price.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 02:39:05 PM »
PNWHAndrea, this/these are really what I currently have in my kill kit for elk and deer.  I did some browsing/locating for ya  :).

Gerber Gator 5” Fixed Blade (light, holds a great edge, non slip handle):  Found one for under $40 bones (a steal for this knife; mine has processed many, many elk and deer). 

https://opticsandammo.com/product/gerber-blades-gator-xdp-fixed-blade-dp-bx-mfg-6904/

Outdoor Edge Razor-Pro Folding Knife (w/replaceable blades), 3.5”, Orange:  $54 bones.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2430236407?pid=236407&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Knives+%26+Tools+-+Hunting+Knives+%26+Tools&utm_content=236407&cnxclid=16148948723166530250310070301008005

Wyoming Saw 1 (11 1/8” blades):  This is all you’ll ever need to take the skull cap off elk or deer.  I have used the less expensive folding saws (plastic handle jobs) on deer mainly, but, they will break if you put the wrong pressure on them.  The WY Saw is bombproof, and, besides it being a great elk/deer bone saw, you can easily cut up some back country firewood for a quick warm up .   $44 bones.

https://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

With what you mentioned for an original budget of 3 bills, now, you have these top quality items in your kill kit “and” you have bucks left over to complete your kit.  Add the following and you’ll be golden!  Quality lightweight washable/reusable game bags (I really like VIAM Outdoors); small spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide (used to help illuminate/track blood); plastic 5X7 plastic drop sheet (to lay your boned out meat on as you process your critter); ˝ a roll orange surveying tape (to help mark/track your big game critter); container of chili powder (to help keep the flies n’ bees off your meat while your processing it); four 25’ chunks of para chord (to hang meat if needed, to tie/pull big game legs back while processing, and/or, to lash that big elk rack on the back of your pack);  two pairs of latex gloves for processing your critter; compact knife sharpener for your Gerber and/or broad heads if needed.  I place all these goodies in a VIAM Outdoor G3 grab (fancy word for a zip up bag to keep your kill kit in).  Happy shopping and good luck this fall!   

https://viamoutdoors.com/product-category/game-bags-kill-kits/  

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »
Yup- I got all them

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 05:12:39 PM »
Outdoor Edge also makes a pack saw that I have, but don't buy that one.  Go with the Wyoming because the OE uses an odd length blade that is a bit hard to find if you are looking for stainless or unpainted meat blades.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 05:36:16 PM »
I have trialed many knives. This is my latest like. I would switch to the rounded blades and keep a havalon gut hook in the mix to swap out. I really like the security of having a traditional fixed blade.
https://www.havalon.com/titan-wred-insert-1-fixed-#:~:text=A%20knife%20built%20for%20Jim,Shockey%20Signature%20Series%20%2D%20Havalon%20Titan.&text=This%20combination%20gives%20you%20the,blade%20all%20in%20one%20tool.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:53:52 PM by Tbar »

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 06:17:18 PM »
I have that same OE kit and Wyoming saw as Wapiti posted.  Both have been outstanding.  The saw has seen some serious action.  I have had it now for 25+ years.  The threaded piece that holds and tightens the blade got a bit stripped and hard to tighten up and the folks at the company replaced it free of charge and sent a new set of blades that I didn't even ask for.  Great customer service.  I also carry a compact gut hook (Gerber I think?) that is also a must.

Oh, and one I forgot, one of Rainshadow's budget skinners goes with me EVERYWHERE.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline fast60eddie

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 07:05:02 PM »

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »
If RMEF is still doing this they had a deal where you subscribe for some paltry amount for 12 months and then you get a four knife set for free made by Browning. It has a small skinner, a larger curved skinner, a general use, and then a guthook with saw serrations on the back side. All fixed blade. When I got it in the mail I was impressed. I still bring it along to this day and that set does a great job breaking down an animal. I still need/use a saw for some parts but that package works well.

Offline BLDtraLR

• BLOODTRAILER or BLDtraLR for short
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
  • }--->$ Mathews V3X Wishin i was on a bloodtrail
  • Groups: Washington ST archery Pope & Young club
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 04:57:09 PM »
PNWHAndrea, this/these are really what I currently have in my kill kit for elk and deer.  I did some browsing/locating for ya  :).

Gerber Gator 5” Fixed Blade (light, holds a great edge, non slip handle):  Found one for under $40 bones (a steal for this knife; mine has processed many, many elk and deer). 

https://opticsandammo.com/product/gerber-blades-gator-xdp-fixed-blade-dp-bx-mfg-6904/

Outdoor Edge Razor-Pro Folding Knife (w/replaceable blades), 3.5”, Orange:  $54 bones.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2430236407?pid=236407&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Knives+%26+Tools+-+Hunting+Knives+%26+Tools&utm_content=236407&cnxclid=16148948723166530250310070301008005

Wyoming Saw 1 (11 1/8” blades):  This is all you’ll ever need to take the skull cap off elk or deer.  I have used the less expensive folding saws (plastic handle jobs) on deer mainly, but, they will break if you put the wrong pressure on them.  The WY Saw is bombproof, and, besides it being a great elk/deer bone saw, you can easily cut up some back country firewood for a quick warm up .   $44 bones.

https://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

With what you mentioned for an original budget of 3 bills, now, you have these top quality items in your kill kit “and” you have bucks left over to complete your kit.  Add the following and you’ll be golden!  Quality lightweight washable/reusable game bags (I really like VIAM Outdoors); small spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide (used to help illuminate/track blood); plastic 5X7 plastic drop sheet (to lay your boned out meat on as you process your critter); ˝ a roll orange surveying tape (to help mark/track your big game critter); container of chili powder (to help keep the flies n’ bees off your meat while your processing it); four 25’ chunks of para chord (to hang meat if needed, to tie/pull big game legs back while processing, and/or, to lash that big elk rack on the back of your pack);  two pairs of latex gloves for processing your critter; compact knife sharpener for your Gerber and/or broad heads if needed.  I place all these goodies in a VIAM Outdoor G3 grab (fancy word for a zip up bag to keep your kill kit in).  Happy shopping and good luck this fall!   

https://viamoutdoors.com/product-category/game-bags-kill-kits/
:yeah:    :tup: :tup:  Have and used many ,many times. Except i carry the Kershaw qiuck assist folding knife in my pocket with the half serrated blade perfect for cutting grouse wings.      The OE flip and zip opens game like a zipper as advertised i've tried many and there is nothing better. The replacement blades are scary sharp   :yike:   https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=258736.0;attach=602772;image
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 05:12:29 PM by BLDtraLR »
}---->$  Always on the money with the Mathews DLD/V3X

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]