collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6.8 Western, Winchester  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: 6.8 Western, Winchester
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 08:46:13 AM »
It always cracks me up to see the crusty reactions to new cartridges being introduced. "what does it do that the _______ doesn't do?" "it's basically just a _____  (but better)" "why would I want one of those when I already have an '06?" "good luck finding ammo"

While this particular cartridge probably won't end up in my safe any time soon, I'm always happy to see more innovation and more options in the shooting world. It benefits everybody. Sure, right now it might be silly to get one of these because the 7mm options are much more plentiful, but if we want plentiful, modern .277 options at some point, doesn't the innovation have to start somewhere? Sure, a lot of it probably is just hype to sell something new, but I'm never going to complain about another good option for western cartridges that brings along with it new high end bullets and all kinds of other goodies. Nobody is forcing you to hand over your 270 win  :chuckle:

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »
By that line of thinking,  we would have called 'er  good with the 30'06.....and quit.

ding...ding...ding.... we have a winner.  Actually it may have stopped with the .300 H&H mag.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 09:57:43 AM »
I sure did, when they made the first Remington 700 chambered in 30-06, they could have sent the engineers home and only kept the factory open for the rest of time.   :peep:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 12:50:27 PM »
  I'm not really current with all the new offerings out there nowadays.   Today I was messing around and came across the 6.8. Upon more research, the more I liked. Thoughts?
here is my question mountain walk, why ask for others thoughts but then argue with people when their opinions don't match what you've already pre conceived on this chambering? If you like the western go buy a western.  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 12:53:02 PM »
I can handle a fellows opinion.  But I really don't care for a fellow who will rebuff every subsequent  reply with the same argument.  I asked for his opinion,  not his opinion 4 times? Savvy?
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 01:03:52 PM »
when the new calibers come on the market and people get hot to buy one make sure first it's not going to fizzle and leave you with a gun and no ammo (at some later point in time).

Examples: .225 Winchester (or whoever made it), the etronic primer, the daisy caseless ammo (I really liked this one), the 5mm rimfire, one I own the .375 Big Bore and there's a number of others.  In my mind most of the new calibers being created are just to generate gun/ammo sales.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 07:45:18 AM »
By that line of thinking,  we would have called 'er  good with the 30'06.....and quit.

You can make a very clear explanation as to why someone might use a 7-08 or 6.5 over a 30-06.

The problem with these new calibers is that there are diminishing returns.

Instead of a clear explanation we get "if you look at our graphs you can see that under favorable conditions you'll get 15% more energy over an established caliber".

We have seen manufactures hype and then drop calibers. It isn't fear of change, it's justified skepticism of a flavor of the month caliber.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 08:14:41 AM »
The diminishing returns argument is more for how the round performs on a chart like you mention.  If the change in the cartridge gives you gains in different areas, then it could be much more worth the consideration.  One guy said why not just use a .270 Win.....270 win is on a long action, 6.8 is on a short.  Maybe it has to fit in the AR10 for somebody? 

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 09:51:20 AM »
The diminishing returns argument is more for how the round performs on a chart like you mention.  If the change in the cartridge gives you gains in different areas, then it could be much more worth the consideration.  One guy said why not just use a .270 Win.....270 win is on a long action, 6.8 is on a short.  Maybe it has to fit in the AR10 for somebody?

Sure but it is coming on the heels of the 6.5 PRC which works in the AR10 and offers similar performance.

The market pie can only be divided so many times. I think the 6-7 market is pretty well covered.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 10:25:58 AM »
You do know it is brand new,  right?

I got ya. Different strokes. 
 I've owned 7 rum and 7saum, liked them ok, the sauna better than the big one. 
 I do like 270's, and I  do like modest amounts of blast for such a high return, and I do like Winchester m70's.
 Maybe you dont. 
 I think it would be a fantastic chambering to have up here in Alaska.  Especially as a wolf rifle. My wolf hunting is split between using an AR, which is nice when you've called a pack down onto the beach at low tide, but seriously lacks punch, or my 35 whelen, which crushes even the biggest wolf with authority,  but is slow to shoot multiple wolves with prone.
And for our tiny deer. And for our masher bears. Alaska is great!

After reading all your posts in this thread, the question is what is your goal?  What platform are you putting the 6.8 Western in?  Bolt action or AR or ?

How far are you shooting, is this a "long range" application and what do you consider long range?

6.8 Western looks like a fine caliber.  And is unique enough right now that not many people have the rifles thus ammo can be found for it (not that the factories are cranking out a bunch of ammo....just so few guys own the new caliber right now).   That will eventually change.

If putting the 6.8 Western in a bolt gun, would you have the same problems shooting multiple wolves prone that you have in your 35 Whelen?

If you're going bolt action rifle with 6.8 Western why not just load up 180gr TTSX or 200gr Accubond on that 35 Whelen?   The better BC on that 6.8 Western at 175 grain bullet at 2850fps isn't going to start making much of a difference against the 35 Whelen with 180gr TTSX at 2900fps until shots are out past 400 yards.  How often do you shoot at wolves out past a quarter mile range?   That is the most important question in my opinion....

If it were me, I'd just carry the 35 Whelen loaded with 180gr TTSX or 200gr Accubond when wolf hunting, and a couple of 250gr Partitions or 310gr Woodleigh's in my pocket or as 4th round in the clip in case a coastal brown bear stops by to say "hello" up close and personal.  But I'm a 35 cal fan, so am biased.

If shooting past 400 yards is going to be typical, well there are many calibers in that category along with the 6.8 Western....

But if you want a new toy to play with the 6.8 Western looks like a decent round when coupled with the Nosler ABLRs.   Just buy up the reloading dies and as much brass and bullets as you can afford.  In case it gets eliminated and becomes a "wildcat" round.  And enjoy.  That 6.8 Western should take pretty much anything in Alaska, although I'd want something bigger if around coastal brown bears alot.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:07:39 AM by kselkhunter »

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 11:43:14 AM »
Even without covid none of the good brass manufacturers support it. None of the good bullet manufacturers support .277 bullets.
:o nosler, swift, hornady,sierra Barnes etc?

I’ve always thought of the “problem” of the .270 not having the range of bullets that 7mm and 30 cal do is sort of a blessing. Being that until recently, the .270 cal only had 2 common cartridges chambered for it means that .277 bullets  were designed to be optimal in those cartridges.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2021, 11:17:58 PM »
.277 bullets were designed to be optimal in a 1:10 twist barrel because that’s all anyone twisted a .277 barrel in until the 27 Nosler came in at 1:9 and now the Western at 1:7.5 and 1:8.
The Western will be throated for long 165 to 175 grain bullets seated out long. With that same setup and the shorter traditional .277 bullets you’ll likely be jumping the bullets a fair bit to the rifling. The high twist rates won’t be optimal for the shorter slugs, though likely not a major issue.

The Westerns claim to fame is the ability to use the long sleek high BC 160 to 175 grain bullets, so I believe 1 offering from Nosler and one from Sierra, and maybe a few others like Cutting edge and Hammer bullets.
If you load it with traditional 150 grain or less bullets it looses its edge.
That’s what I meant by lack of .277 bullet support. Lack of long sleek 160+ grain bullets for the Western.

I’m not passing judgement on the round. It’s no doubt a fine round just like many others. If a guy wants one, then go for it. Never hurts to go in with both eyes open though.
Hopefully it will become popular and stay around. Hopefully soon everyone will get caught up with production and begin to support the new chambering.

One other detail since shooting a pack of wolves was brought up. In standard hinged floor plate configuration the short fat Western will only fit 3 in the belly where as a 270 win would fit 4. Of course detachable magazines could add to capacity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:28:28 PM by Chesapeake »

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 03:30:41 PM »
After reading all your posts in this thread, the question is what is your goal?  What platform are you putting the 6.8 Western in?  Bolt action or AR or ?

It actually isn't designed for the AR10.

Big mistake on their part.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 04:31:34 PM »
Ammo alert!!!!!

There's about 6 boxes of it on the shelf at Federal Way Sportsman's warehouse.

I don't remember the exact components, but it was good stuff and not expensive at all.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]