collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tipping your quide  (Read 5270 times)

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Re: Tipping your quide
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »
I've only been on one guided hunt for turkeys, it was a total bust. Day one the guide was great at calling deer. Second day after driving around for two hours he set up and called in a yote, then drove around for another two hours. I said lets go I need to get home. I left him a stool and headlamp. On big boat fishing trips in Canada, I always tell the guys I'm with to pickup a bottle and a carton of smokes at the duty free store. The last trip out we were the last boat in, the other boats were waving cash tips. Our skipper smiled and produced six cartons of smokes and six bottles, the other boats went quiet. Back then a carton was selling for $80 and a 1ML bottle was $70-90.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Online CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 05:55:01 AM »
Be prepared to tip 10% as a general rule. Up from there depending upon effort and your experience. Take care of the cook. A hundred bucks or more if you can swing it. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:00:28 AM by CaNINE »
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 03:45:01 PM »
10% is a good starting point for sure. I’ve been on a few guided hunts and in those cases they were pretty solid outfits. I tipped a little more and as already said always take care of the cook too! I even had a guide take a fancy to my binoculars and they ended up with those when I left on top of some cash. Do what you comfortably can if they put in the work.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 05:30:11 PM »
I have been on all sides of it. Outfitter/guide/client the value of the hunt also comes into play in my mind. It’s so random with a lot of people. I try to think around 10% on most big game stuff is pretty solid for a good trip. Lesser trips like say a hog hunt or management hunt etc. A solid trip will see 20% or better.

I’ve got from 0 dollars to 100% value of the hunt. It’s a crazy swing. You get people that say for example will never leave a tip at a restaurant. Those type don’t do well tipping regardless and think it’s part of what they already paid for. Then you get the guys who work hard for the money tend to be solid tippers in any area. Then you get high rollers. They go both ways! Some of them are the cheapest you will ever have and others blow tips out of the water.

I hunted with a outfit that has some huge wealthy clients. My hunt was bought through sci. The value was 5500.00 I paid 2750. The guide was a solid guy and I gave him 500.00 his reaction was like I ripped him off. It was horrible and that was the only bad part of my hunt! 500 is a lot of money to me and I work several jobs to have money to hunt without taking away from my family’s needs. I talked to the owner about this and he said they are spoiled they hunt a lot of ceo type guys and the kid had got a 10k tip that year already. That’s right 10k

So just some perspectives. Another thing is small gifts are always cool and appreciated but a lot of guides don’t make much in the base and make a lot of the money from tips. So keep that in mind. I have been given knives and been happy to accept it as it’s a kind gesture. Some people don’t know the tip procedure and it’s a real rough guide line and that’s why these threads pop up every year.

Wow ! Crazy!  I figure 10% up to $1,000.     But there could be exceptions I'm sure - knew a guide that spent 14 days thru hell trying to get a local tv guide a ram including multiple food drops and one where the grizz ate the drop.  A $2k tip wouldn't have been outa line.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 07:23:21 AM »
When I was guiding, a couple hundred was pretty common.  And if it wasn't quite that much, no big deal.. After a week with these guys, you got a good sense of what they could afford.  Seems like Joe Blue collar always tipped better than the guys who were more affluent. Never could nail down why.  Don't forget your wrangler  and cook. They work hard too.

Unless the guide was a total bum, no kill shouldn't mean no tip.

Please, don't give your guide your knife for a tip. It's insulting!
Sorry but the attitude of a knife as a tip is insulting should not be if that’s all they have that’s all they have

The last thing a professional guide wants or needs would be what someone else thinks is a good knife. That’s like me taking someone fishing and they give me one of those red and white round plastic bobbers to use for fishing. G thanks now I have to throw this away or find someone else who wants it.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »
When I was guiding, a couple hundred was pretty common.  And if it wasn't quite that much, no big deal.. After a week with these guys, you got a good sense of what they could afford.  Seems like Joe Blue collar always tipped better than the guys who were more affluent. Never could nail down why.  Don't forget your wrangler  and cook. They work hard too.

Sorry but the attitude of a knife as a tip is insulting should not be if that’s all they have that’s all they have

The last thing a professional guide wants or needs would be what someone else thinks is a good knife. That’s like me taking someone fishing and they give me one of those red and white round plastic bobbers to use for fishing. G thanks now I have to throw this away or find someone else who wants it.
Terrible attitude for a guide to have
Maybe that red and white bobber is all they have to show their appreciation
If you’re only in it for the tip get out of the guiding business and I know most guides are in it because the love doing it
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 07:55:35 AM »
If I were figuring on going on a guided hunt and were putting money away, I would figure in an adequate tip on top of the price of the hunt before I went.  :twocents:

Offline Bareback

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
1. Do what you can afford
2. Do what is justified.
3. We’re amenities good, fair, poor?
4. Was your guide personable/professional? 
5. Did your guide work to your standard?
6. Did you have opportunity at success?

Do you plan to reuse guide or outfitter? Reevaluate 1-6.

IMHO tips should be cash, cash is king, and it allows the recipient to determine how it should be used (it’s not some knife you didn’t like so much). But at the end of a three days of charter fishing out of Los Barrilles , I took my patiggucii hooded sun shirt and hat off and gave it to the deckhand. He couldn’t speak english but his smile said it all. That was additional to cash.

It’s flat out tough working with the general public. There’s so much variance with personalities, personal perception, expectations and ability. I find most amusement when I come across fishermen that went on a guided trip and don’t catch anything. Often times they are the worst fisherman in the world and couldn’t catch a trout in a trout pond. But since they “paid for a trip” they expected to catch fish and are disgruntled. It’s never their fault or lack of ability, it’s the guides.

Cooks, wranglers are overworked and underpaid.......

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 09:21:17 AM »

If you’re only in it for the tip get out of the guiding business and I know most guides are in it because the love doing it

Big game guides I have talked to all do it for the money. I have a few friends who have guided deer hunts. They got paid like 150$ a day. For guiding people who spend 7k for the hunt. Tips are huge. The guidings generally not fun and really stressful. Most people who pay for guided hunts don’t really know or understand hunting or how to shoot. At least when it comes to a Wyoming deer hunt.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »
If there in it for the money......they picked the wrong career!!!  LOLOLOLOL  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:  Sorry, had to!!  There are a lot more lucrative careers out there where they don't have to be cold, wet, hungry, sleep deprived, etc.    My experience is they do it for the lifestyle....which is all the more reason to tip well, it at least allows them a few extra bucks to buy nice gear.  Maybe I am wrong, and maybe a guide wants to chime in on yearly salary ranges but my guess is they are not doing for the money. 

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2021, 09:36:02 AM »
If there in it for the money......they picked the wrong career!!!  LOLOLOLOL  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:  Sorry, had to!!  There are a lot more lucrative careers out there where they don't have to be cold, wet, hungry, sleep deprived, etc.    My experience is they do it for the lifestyle....which is all the more reason to tip well, it at least allows them a few extra bucks to buy nice gear.  Maybe I am wrong, and maybe a guide wants to chime in on yearly salary ranges but my guess is they are not doing for the money.
Thats probably why most don’t do it for their entire lives as a career. It sucks and they don’t make enough lol

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2021, 11:14:44 AM »
My brother does it for the extra cash and he is good at it. As stated, it allows him to buy better gear and family fun.
He has a regular job that pays the bills.

Offline Westside88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2021, 11:27:28 AM »
I haven't been able to take a guided hunt, but when I am able to I will go prepared to tip well. I've been on a few guided fishing trips and with the good ones you learn as much in one trip as you could in a year or more on your own. For me a successful trip doesn't necessarily mean a cooler full of fish or a punched tag, although that's a great outcome to have. I think you're paying for the knowledge and preparation to put you in position for success. With big game animals that means a lot of work after success as well. If my guide is prepared, willing to put in the work and wants to help me succeed that's all I expect and will take care of them as best I can

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2021, 11:28:45 AM »

Big game guides I have talked to all do it for the money. I have a few friends who have guided deer hunts. They got paid like 150$ a day. For guiding people who spend 7k for the hunt. Tips are huge. The guidings generally not fun and really stressful. Most people who pay for guided hunts don’t really know or understand hunting or how to shoot. At least when it comes to a Wyoming deer hunt.
Talking to guides we’ve gone out with they do it because they enjoy doing it and helping people.
The first guided hunt we went on our guide was great his gear not so much he had a spotting scope the eye piece was duct taped on and the tripod head would not lock down.
It was one of the best hunt’s we’ve been on
I gave him my brand new spotter on top of a tip and he said he actually appreciated the spotter more because he wasn’t going to be able to get another before he headed out again.
So I know we can go back and forth about this my attitude and experience and yours are different that’s all

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2021, 11:33:06 AM »
I haven't been able to take a guided hunt, but when I am able to I will go prepared to tip well. I've been on a few guided fishing trips and with the good ones you learn as much in one trip as you could in a year or more on your own. For me a successful trip doesn't necessarily mean a cooler full of fish or a punched tag, although that's a great outcome to have. I think you're paying for the knowledge and preparation to put you in position for success. With big game animals that means a lot of work after success as well. If my guide is prepared, willing to put in the work and wants to help me succeed that's all I expect and will take care of them as best I can
The last sentence of this post is exactly what I am talking about
“I will take care of them as best I can”

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1