collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who's doing keto?  (Read 42816 times)

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: Who's doing keto?
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »
Makes sense they evolve to use fats with protein diets instead of a reserve when food not available.  Basically they would be in a form of constant ketosis in a small scale to supplement diet.   :dunno:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »
Do you know of any other human "evolvements" of body? Just curious.  The fact about the Inuit and Inuipaq  interest me.
High altitude people of the alps?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »
I want to get started but not until I find keto beer! :IBCOOL:
I mostly drink whiskey but when camping or when I feel like it, I drink Coors light.  It has more carbs than Michelob ultra but at least Coors has some flavor.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2021, 12:07:04 PM »
Lots of genetic switches regarding diet.  Being able to digest milk, likely carb tolerances and other things I think we are just beginning to understand.  Genetic differences result in different metabolisms as well as the propensity to store fat, build muscle.

The Inuit one is particularly interesting to me.  The CPT-1A deficiency they have is only found in the arctic and virtually all of them have it which hints that it might have more to do with that environment rather than the diet.  I think most native people spent considerable time in ketosis as getting large amounts of carbs in the wild is not all that easy, particularly during the winter.

The other odd thing about the deficiency is that it increases the odds of going hypoglycemic during fasting and greatly increases infant fatality which obviously are negative aspects, so whatever the benefit is it must be pretty big to outweigh the negatives and be almost universally present.

I agree, one guess could be that nature is forcing them to hold more bodyfat which would be a benefit when living in the arctic.
How's that relate to alcohol consumption and the banning of alcohol in most villages

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »
In my opinion, the jury is still out on how good or bad it might be to be in ketosis for long periods of time.  Every diet I know of has one or more paradox issues.  With the low fat diet, the paradox is if fat is bad then why are fats like salmon, olive oil, grass fed butter and nuts so healthy and proven protective against heart disease and all cause mortality?

For keto, the paradox is that if being in ketosis is beneficial, why have the Inuit (who are the poster child for the keto or carnivore diet and have been for a really long time) developed a genetic trait that prevents them from ever going into ketosis? The only answer I can find is that nobody knows.  Maybe it's to prevent them from being in ketosis basically permanently, maybe it's just a genetic coincidence and maybe its for another reason.  Doctors on both sides offer guesses, but that's all it really is, a guess that reinforces their belief going in.  I haven't heard of anyone legitimately trying to find out why that is.

There is also sometimes confusion between dietary ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis.  I had a doctor freaked out once because he didn't know you could be in ketosis and was only aware of the latter life threatening condition.

Species evolve to adapt to their environments. The difficulty of the Inuit to achieve ketosis may be related to the fact that they've evolved with the need for extra fat just to survive. :dunno:

One example would be the Tibetans' bodies which have adapted to surviving in high altitude environments, many thousands of feet higher than that which we flatlanders can survive.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
But in that instance, what is evolved?
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »
Chests and lungs are huge, bone marrow is different too.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »

A genetic mutation that prevents their liver from breaking down fatty acids into glucose and ketones.  They literally are unable to produce ketones.

"Evolution" is basically mutations in genes over time that change the species.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »

The people in this region experience haemoglobin concentration at high altitudes. You or I do not.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »
Do you know of any other human "evolvements" of body? Just curious.  The fact about the Inuit and Inuipaq  interest me.
High altitude people of the alps?

They may experience the same haemoglobin concentration at high altitudes. IDK  :dunno:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
i think i read somewhere that coming OFF keto has several dangers to you ...

Yes, that is correct. If you stop keto you have a higher risk of diabetes, stroke, arthritis, metabolic syndrome, cancer, fatty liver, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and many other things.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
Lol

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2021, 09:33:26 AM »
I want to get started but not until I find keto beer! :IBCOOL:
there are plenty, but they are all seltzer beer.

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »

Yes, that is correct. If you stop keto you have a higher risk of diabetes, stroke, arthritis, metabolic syndrome, cancer, fatty liver, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and many other things.
soooooooo back to normal?  :chuckle:

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »

soooooooo back to normal?  :chuckle:

Basically, but that is only if it is a return to a high carb diet.  Those I know have gone from Keto to a low carb diet and have not seen those effects. 
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal