collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who's doing keto?  (Read 42803 times)

Offline dutchmanaz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: dutchmanaz
Re: Who's doing keto?
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2021, 12:56:53 PM »
I'm curious if anyone on the Keto diet for a good while has ever had a weight loss analysis done?  Meaning, has anyone determined from where the weight is lost?  Was fat the primary loss? How much muscle loss vs fat loss etc.  I'd expect more fat than muscle, but honestly don't know.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
I had a dexa done several years ago, if you look into what is actually going on in the scan it can be deceiving.  They don't actually scan muscle, they scan for "lean tissue" which includes stuff like skin and water so if you lose skin and water (which you would if you lose a bunch of weight and are low carb or keto) then it will show up as lean loss and incorrectly interpret it as muscle loss.  The fat scan is pretty good, but the lean scan isn't too helpful.

That is true for most other methods as well.

I would say a better indicator is strength, if you as strong or stronger than before it is what most people really care about.  That and big guns of course.  Lifting weights is the best way to preserve muscle from anything I read, regardless of how you lose the weight.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2021, 01:45:25 PM »
Has anybody on this thread that is strict keto input their foods into a cronometer?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline mallard

• Tracker
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2021, 11:28:29 PM »
Cronometer... like a watch? Or cronometer the app? The cronometer app allows you to connect to smart devices, like watches or a glucose/ketone meter.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2021, 07:15:08 AM »
Cronometer... like a watch? Or cronometer the app? The cronometer app allows you to connect to smart devices, like watches or a glucose/ketone meter.

An app that tracks micronutrients. Most people just think about and track macro nutrients (p,c,f) but it’s helpful to also see what micronutrients you are lacking or getting too much of in your diet

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
I'm curious if anyone on the Keto diet for a good while has ever had a weight loss analysis done?  Meaning, has anyone determined from where the weight is lost?  Was fat the primary loss? How much muscle loss vs fat loss etc.  I'd expect more fat than muscle, but honestly don't know.
:chuckle: Its cutting carbs, not starving yourself, there would be no reason for your body to burn muscle.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2021, 08:49:49 AM »
I've never tracked anything. That's why I love the keto way of eating. Tracking is not necessary. If you like to eat a lot of carbs it might be necessary, but I pretty much go for zero carbs, but I do get some when I eat my salads. Whatever I'm doing it's working. Down nearly 50 pounds, and waist went from 36 inches to 32.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2021, 09:03:48 AM »
The scale is going down for me, I had stalled out on Keto (too many "keto friendly" snacks)

Just got back into my 36 jeans, from a tight 37 prolly should be 38 jeans

I'll be ecstatic to get to 32!

Haven't seen 32 waist since 10th grade

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline mallard

• Tracker
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
Agreed. App or other macro calculator is crucial for those following strict guidelines. Without using technology I don't think I could push keto and fasting to the full potential. I'm often surprised how my perception of how I'm eating doesn't match my caloric goals. Protein is my nemesis. I tend to hit my protein limit before my carbs or fats. If carbs are under I don't worry, but if fat is under I eat more so my body knows it's not starving.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »
There's really no limit to protein. Eat as much as you want, as long as you're having fat with it. The only thing that really matters is carbohydrates. If your goal is losing weight, best to keep carbs under 20 grams per day. If you eat a carnivore diet, it's even easier, no carbs to worry about at all. I'm slowly transitioning myself to a strict carnivore diet.

Offline mallard

• Tracker
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »
Bobcat, as you mentioned, it really comes down to goal. For clarification, if people didn't pick up on this, my current goal is not general weight loss. I am in a optimization phase, attempting therapeutic keto healing and detox. Since protein converts to glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis, I do limit the amount of protein and find limitations more beneficial. It's not a one size fits all diet. Since we're all different, people have to figure out what works for them. You've found something that works for you. Congrats. Keep up the good work. I'm certainly interested in hearing how the carnivore diet is working for you once you make the transition.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
Isn't this like the old Adkins diet with fasting in between ? I don't need to loose any weight so don't figure I need to fast but would like to gain muscle and energy.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Who's doing keto?
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2021, 11:28:19 AM »
Keto and fasting are two different things.  Keto is what to eat and fasting is when to eat - or not eat.

Some eating keto fast and some don’t.

If you fast long enough you will get into keto regardless of what you were eating before, usually within 2 days if not sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2021, 12:07:48 PM »
I've never tracked anything. That's why I love the keto way of eating. Tracking is not necessary. If you like to eat a lot of carbs it might be necessary, but I pretty much go for zero carbs, but I do get some when I eat my salads. Whatever I'm doing it's working. Down nearly 50 pounds, and waist went from 36 inches to 32.

It has nothing to do with carbs, it is more about seeing if your body is getting the micronutrients it needs to be healthy long term. There is way more to a healthy body then what you weigh.  :twocents:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »

It has nothing to do with carbs, it is more about seeing if your body is getting the micronutrients it needs to be healthy long term. There is way more to a healthy body then what you weigh.  :twocents:

It is about the carbs. Because there's no such thing as an essential carb. We don't need any carbs whatsoever. The keto diet is all about limiting carbs. That's how you get into ketosis and start burning body fat.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]