collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who's doing keto?  (Read 42847 times)

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Who's doing keto?
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »
I've never tracked anything. That's why I love the keto way of eating. Tracking is not necessary. If you like to eat a lot of carbs it might be necessary, but I pretty much go for zero carbs, but I do get some when I eat my salads. Whatever I'm doing it's working. Down nearly 50 pounds, and waist went from 36 inches to 32.

It has nothing to do with carbs, it is more about seeing if your body is getting the micronutrients it needs to be healthy long term. There is way more to a healthy body then what you weigh.  :twocents:

It is about the carbs. Because there's no such thing as an essential carb. We don't need any carbs whatsoever. The keto diet is all about limiting carbs. That's how you get into ketosis and start burning body fat.

So vitamins and minerals mean nothing to your body?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »
I've never tracked anything. That's why I love the keto way of eating. Tracking is not necessary. If you like to eat a lot of carbs it might be necessary, but I pretty much go for zero carbs, but I do get some when I eat my salads. Whatever I'm doing it's working. Down nearly 50 pounds, and waist went from 36 inches to 32.

It has nothing to do with carbs, it is more about seeing if your body is getting the micronutrients it needs to be healthy long term. There is way more to a healthy body then what you weigh.  :twocents:

It is about the carbs. Because there's no such thing as an essential carb. We don't need any carbs whatsoever. The keto diet is all about limiting carbs. That's how you get into ketosis and start burning body fat.

Yes of course they do. I'm getting a way more nutritious diet now that I'm no longer eating bread, pasta, cereal, potatoes, milk, fruit, etc.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2021, 12:26:09 PM »
Keto and fasting are two different things.  Keto is what to eat and fasting is when to eat - or not eat.

Some eating keto fast and some don’t.

If you fast long enough you will get into keto regardless of what you were eating before, usually within 2 days if not sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keto makes fasting easier, eases the transition from glucose to ketones during a fast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »

Yes of course they do. I'm getting a way more nutritious diet now that I'm no longer eating bread, pasta, cereal, potatoes, milk, fruit, etc.

That is all I was asking is if people on keto actually checked it. When I was more diligent in my training and nutrition, I was interested to see what micronutrients I was missing with the foods I was eating. I would just be curious to see what the report showed since I have friends that follow keto diet and were lacking a few nutrient s that they now supplement

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2021, 12:30:53 PM »
do you have lab work done frequently?

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2021, 12:34:34 PM »
do you have lab work done frequently?

If you are asking me, I have had a few labs run over the past handful of years. Not sure if you consider that frequent or not

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2021, 01:02:04 PM »
I keep hearing about macro-micro nutrients and wondering how people know their baselines and what to supplement.

Tracking intake is one thing, but knowing what they have or lack is another

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2021, 03:01:12 PM »
I keep hearing about macro-micro nutrients and wondering how people know their baselines and what to supplement.

Tracking intake is one thing, but knowing what they have or lack is another

Besides bloodwork, a simple way to get a general idea is to input a weeks worth of normal food and the amount into a micronutrient chronometer app. I thought I was eating pretty well and I was for the most part but I was pretty low on a few key ones so I read what foods were high in them and added them. My last bloodwork came back that I am meeting all my micro and macro needs. I don’t track my food anymore but I do know the different foods my body needs to hit dietary intake goals

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2021, 03:04:02 PM »
I've been eating lots of sardines, salmon, beef liver, deer, antelope, elk, pork, chicken, bacon, eggs, avacados, and I think that about covers it. Can't imagine I'd be deficient in anything with the good variety of foods I'm eating.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »
I have trouble with potassium

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2021, 03:36:09 PM »
I've been eating lots of sardines, salmon, beef liver, deer, antelope, elk, pork, chicken, bacon, eggs, avacados, and I think that about covers it. Can't imagine I'd be deficient in anything with the good variety of foods I'm eating.

Download a chronometer app and input the foods and the approximate amounts you are eating. It’s pretty easy and will confirm how you are doing.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2021, 04:25:59 PM »
The question I have is how did we figure out what the optimum amount of all of the trace stuff is?  I looked and couldn't find studies or much of any backing for the optimal amount of magnesium is XX mg/day for example.  The guidelines also don't take into account age, height/weight, activity level or really any other factor.

It also doesn't take into account any variability on food source.  Factory eggs on the cheapest scratch are considered nutritionally identical to backyard eggs on high quality scratch, bugs, grass and whatever else they round up.  Same with other meats and vegetables.  I would think this is the place where quality of food really matters?  You also can't find stuff like antelope liver in any of the programs I have tried to use.  Again, have to assume an antelope liver = a factory beef liver.

I could be wrong (probably am), but it seemed more like some guesses and averages of what people measured had as opposed to what the consumption should be.

I will say the less varied your diet the more likely you could be missing something, particularly as we don't tend to eat the whole animal.  I have seen people compare the Eskimo diet with a guy eating Safeway ribeyes 3 x a day.  Big difference there for sure.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »
Yeah, and why can't we just take a once a day vitamin that has like 1000% of everything?

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »
Yeah, and why can't we just take a once a day vitamin that has like 1000% of everything?

That is an option for sure or there might be a food or two that is easy to add that will fill what you are short on

Online mallard

• Tracker
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »
Tracking micros accurately are tough. I haven't found a good way to adjust realtime. I'm all ears if someone has. Taking an average as vandeman17 suggested seems reasonable. My approach is to eat food that fits my macros, and then take supplements of specific minerals as testing dictates.

When it comes to food choice, Stein is on to something. Livestock feed quickly and soil quality really matter. Example... every year I take soil samples for the garden, and create a custom fertilizer to meet both macro and micro deficiencies. As soil quality continues to improve so does the plant quality. Bigger, healthier, better taste, and higher test results. While not a conclusive test, the refractometer (brix meter) reads higher dissolved concentrations, indicating higher nutritional density. Of what nutrients exactly, I don't know, but it's better than anything I can find in the store.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal