collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who's doing keto?  (Read 42799 times)

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: Who's doing keto?
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
The weight plateau you're experiencing is common for a lot of people. I've hit mine before. Diet variation/feast famine cycling could really help. I'll skip the medical jargon, but there are some studies that show diet variation is more important than the diet itself, especially the correlation between abrupt diet shifts (e.g. ADF) and continued weight loss. Bobcat gave an example of diet variation you could try. I've found a 5-1-1 or similar weekly eating pattern works well for me. Five days regular keto/intermitted fasting, one feast day (eat whatever) and one famine day (complete fast) in the same week. You'll have to figure out what works for you. Good luck on your journey.

I had read that a cheat day purposely eating carbs in a way tricks the body and when you restart keto weight loss would come faster. I don't know, there is a ton of stuff out there.

On another note, my wife bought some keto ice cream a couple weeks ago and just tried a small bit last night... wasn't to bad.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »
The weight plateau you're experiencing is common for a lot of people. I've hit mine before. Diet variation/feast famine cycling could really help. I'll skip the medical jargon, but there are some studies that show diet variation is more important than the diet itself, especially the correlation between abrupt diet shifts (e.g. ADF) and continued weight loss. Bobcat gave an example of diet variation you could try. I've found a 5-1-1 or similar weekly eating pattern works well for me. Five days regular keto/intermitted fasting, one feast day (eat whatever) and one famine day (complete fast) in the same week. You'll have to figure out what works for you. Good luck on your journey.

I had read that a cheat day purposely eating carbs in a way tricks the body and when you restart keto weight loss would come faster. I don't know, there is a ton of stuff out there.

On another note, my wife bought some keto ice cream a couple weeks ago and just tried a small bit last night... wasn't to bad.

Go easy on that stuff it will clean you out pronto!  :chuckle:

I had a cheat day Sunday after 4 weeks of strict Keto and hated it, didn’t eat terrible but had some pizza , popcorn and 1/2 a can of soda. This week cravings have been back and felt hungry during the day which I don’t have while on strict keto. I jumped right back in Monday and now today I’m finally feeling content on my meal plan like I was before cheating. I won’t be cheating again.

Down 13lbs in 4 weeks as of Sunday. Better consistent energy during the day, sleeping good. I’m doing strict Keto and it’s easy.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2021, 04:53:44 PM »
The thing to think about is that if you really want to be in ketosis (as opposed to just losing weight or being low carb), if you take a cheat day every week it will kick you out of ketosis and take maybe 1-2 days to get back into ketosis.  So, you would be out for 2-3 days a week which is a significant portion of the week.

Personally, I also find it harder to get back in as well as some of the cravings showing up again.  That said, my version of "cheating" is pretty obscene, go big or go home real bad idea stuff. 

Several years ago I did Paleo/low carb and almost always had a single cheat meal and that didn't seem to impact anything at all.

The best keto ice cream I have had are the Enlightened ones with the carb number on the front of the carton.  Way better texture and flavor than the others.

Offline mallard

• Tracker
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2021, 10:12:16 PM »
Go easy on that stuff it will clean you out pronto!
Ain't that the truth. :chuckle: Coming out of keto or a fast with carbs can be difficult. Been there.

I had read that a cheat day purposely eating carbs in a way tricks the body and when you restart keto weight loss would come faster.
One thing worth clarifying from my previous post... a feast day does not automatically equal a carb day. It's not that carbs are off limits if you can handle it, but the simplified concept is that by feasting you're communicating to your body that you're not starving (caloric excess). In one of the studies I had in mind previously, they compared high-fat/low-carb and low-fat/high-carb diets eaten consistently (seven day a week) to those same diets mixed with alternate day fasting (ADF). The feast/famine (ADF) cycle produced better weight loss results than the diets alone. The takeaway was that diet variation was important in forcing adaptation.

One of the long term goals I've been working towards is metabolic flexibility (switching between burning carbs and fats easily) so I like to add a few extra carbs. I especially prefer to ride the keto/low-carb line going into hunting season. I've had a few instances in ketosis where I couldn't achieve high intensity activities because my body didn't have readily available carb/glucose fuel. Being able to "power up" on carbs before or during an activity is nice. But on a day to day basis an example would be on Saturday I had my first feast day in awhile. Nachos, tacos, alcohol... all that really tasty high-carb stuff. I didn't eat breakfast Sunday morning and took blood glucose and ketone levels in the afternoon before eating again. The readings told me I was in a moderate level of ketosis, so right back to business. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2021, 07:44:58 AM »
Been doing keto for 3 weeks now. In conjunction with intermittent fasting. I'm down 12 lbs so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »
Your body becomes more and more efficient at utilizing whatever diet/foods your using over a period of time.

Switching up diets (carbs vs protein vs fats) is capitalizing on the time it takes to switch over to higher efficiency for a particular diet.

Diarrhea and other unpleasant things are a result of inefficiencies, running the wrong foods through the wrong flora.   

I'm not a big fan of diet swapping, I prefer to stick with a diet that I feel best on with the least bloat, the least inflammation, and best energy. 

For me that is protien and fats, certian low or no carb green veggies, and intermittent fasting. 

If the scale isn't moving enough, fast more.

In the end its still calories in, calories out.

I just feel better maintaining efficiency vs "tricking" my body IE: not allowing it to become efficient.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
I quit drinking 3 weeks ago and the weight loss has increased quite a bit, to around 3 lbs a week.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #247 on: May 13, 2021, 03:54:04 AM »
Well im down 18lbs in a month. got 5-10 more to go.  Easiest diet ive ever been on.  thanks for you guys direction

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2021, 06:12:47 AM »
Well im down 18lbs in a month. got 5-10 more to go.  Easiest diet ive ever been on.  thanks for you guys direction
That is great!!  Feels good doesn't it, I'm down 18 as well but I've been on it for a while.  If I quit drinking I'd lose a bunch more but, that's not happening!!   :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2021, 06:30:47 AM »
What are you drinking besides water
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #250 on: May 13, 2021, 07:26:36 AM »
Heavy cream plus a splash of each of these makes a fancy coffee

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2021, 07:35:46 AM »
I don't use any of the artificially sweetened stuff. I drink coffee with raw cream that we buy from a small, local dairy farm a mile from my house. Other than coffee I drink only water.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #252 on: May 13, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »

Really well done on your weight loss!  :tup: Forewarning: Crashing off the diet causes rapid weight gain, more rapid than it came off. Once you reach your desired goal, remain vigilant about the carbs you add. Very commonly, people end up binging on bread, pasta, sweets, while still eating a high protein, high fat diet. It's a killer combo!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2021, 09:30:41 AM »
What are you drinking besides water
beer or whiskey!!  😁
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2021, 09:36:35 AM »
Just starting this and have had some minimal results. Gonna stick with it. 
Question - Do any of you veteran Keto experts recommend any supplements while on this diet? Fiber supplements?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]