collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Headed to Wenaha Tomorrow - But have a Question  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Headed to Wenaha Tomorrow - But have a Question
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »
Leaving tomorrow night for the first of three trips to the Wenaha for spring bear. I’ve spent a ton of time in the blues down quite a ways in OR shed hunting, but this will be my first time in that unit.  I’ve poured over the maps, done my Google Earth/OnX homework and know exactly which ridge systems I’m trying to get to. Driving HWY 12 over to Asotin from Mossyrock, then 129 down to Troy and then up into the Blue from there. Never hunted spring bear and never hunted bear on the east side.  Everyone I’ve spoken with said to get high and glass all day and look for patches of wild onions. I’m assuming from a distance this looks like green grass. My question is, do these onion patches grow high on ridgetops or only down in the ravines near water? Trying to gauge in advance what kind of viewing angles I need to be setting up for. Any other tips for a long time hunter, first time drawing a spring bear kind of guy?
SliverSlinger

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Headed to Wenaha Tomorrow - But have a Question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »
2/3 of the way up on south facing slopes.
You’ll smell the onions and see the ruts from where the bears have been digging. Good luck and look at a few bears. Enjoy it!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:51 PM »
bears start low and work their way up the mountain in the spring as the food lowest is the greenest first and they basically follow it up as it grows.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 06:34:51 AM »
Make sure to top off your gas in asotin, can't rely on gas in troy all the time.  Sounds like its crowded this year in that lower part, that's the part of the internet I hate, used to be quiet down there.  If you are planning to hit the 3 forks, pick a ridge and go, I hope you sprayed down with permethrin, it helps keep the ticks off you.  BE patient, like you have been told, glass the hill sides and watch that damn wind.  When you see a bear, give it some time to make sure basketball size cubs aren't hiding in the grass, if the bear is feeding, you have time.  You'll absolutely love the country, if you like to hike, it's steep and long.  Lots of bears around!  You probably won't make it up the 40 rd very far, probably a couple miles past the 4039 and then you'll get snowed out, be carful and take a shovel with you.  Good luck, you have a great tag.  Wish I could tag along.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand