collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2021 Huckleberry Spring Bear Thread  (Read 14060 times)

Offline Dbax129

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
2021 Huckleberry Spring Bear Thread
« on: March 12, 2021, 07:42:46 PM »
Can I start this thread? Haven't been here in a while but I drew Huckleberry this year and would love to get talking with folks about the unit. I am not familiar with it yet and I am planning on taking at least 3 trips over if needed, 5 days each, starting mid May to the end of the season. I might get out before that if weather/conditions are favorable.

I drew with a buddy, both had 5 pts I think. It will be his first bear and first spring hunt in the area too. Been hunting for years just not much time on bears before. I've come close on the wet side a few times but never squeezed that trigger.

Anyway, I'm really excited to learn areas and access. I've already found a lot of state land in the unit but I am curious what other companies own the rest of thr land and how many still offer free access, if any. Cant wait!

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
Re: 2021 Huckleberry Spring Bear Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 08:29:12 PM »
Find typical spring bear habitat and you'll find bears. Saw 25+ bears last year.

Offline dune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 08:39:46 PM »
I have taken a spring bear a couple years ago  if your hunting  early  say on creek bottoms  mid may lots of clear cuts  to glass good  luck. Im in the same boat my buddy and I drew  lick creek  this year never hunted it but its going to be a great learning experience.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 10:35:13 PM »
DBax!  What the hey.  You haven't been here since the last decade!

Give me a call if you still remember the number.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 06:50:22 PM »
I was just curious ,I didn't see this topic go very far.
Did very few on huntwa draw huckleberry?
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »
I did!
I’ve hunted there lots. All public land. I have taken home many turkeys and a few deer from the unit. Drew a spring tag years ago before I figured out bear hunting and it went unfilled. Since then I have filled 7 fall bear tags(not in huckleberry), 3 that I have called in so I have high hopes for the season. Planning on multiple trips. Probably some too early that will be more turkey and shed hunting. My schedule is flexible so will probably go for 2-5 days at a time depending on weather, energy, sightings, etc. I hope to hold out for a big old rutting boar, but I do know how tasty those young ones are not to mention how much easier they are to pack out, so they better not hang out too long if spotted. Good luck to everyone

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 08:04:11 PM »
My 16yr old son drew it so we'll be there a bunch,  maybe some 8 day trips as we can work and do school remotely.   Should be fun!

Offline Dbax129

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »
Thanks for keeping it alive hunter399! I've had one person reach out to me on pm with some pointers but was hoping to keep up with other tag holders on this thread as well. Good to hear from you HillHound and Wanttohuntmore. Maybe I'll see you out there!

Also, I am formally volunteering my (and my friends) legs and backs for help packing out or searching for downed animals that are hard to find, if we are out there.

Let's keep this thread alive for when the season starts too and we can share info on how things are looking and success stories. Good luck everyone folks. Just got my permit in the mail today and I'm feeling pretty stoked about this hunt.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 10:36:33 PM »
It sounds like at least a few on here got huckleberry ,sounds like the big huntwa party is in 49 across the highway.
Just from my back door it looks like there is some snow up high.But we have started to see some 40-50 degree days.
Definitely snow on the north slopes with South Slope melting fast right now. With a few weeks still till it opens a lot more snow could melt. Very soft roads everywhere.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 08:39:43 AM »
I did!
I’ve hunted there lots. All public land. I have taken home many turkeys and a few deer from the unit. Drew a spring tag years ago before I figured out bear hunting and it went unfilled. Since then I have filled 7 fall bear tags(not in huckleberry), 3 that I have called in so I have high hopes for the season. Planning on multiple trips. Probably some too early that will be more turkey and shed hunting. My schedule is flexible so will probably go for 2-5 days at a time depending on weather, energy, sightings, etc. I hope to hold out for a big old rutting boar, but I do know how tasty those young ones are not to mention how much easier they are to pack out, so they better not hang out too long if spotted. Good luck to everyone

I’m in the same position “49 degrees north.” I have killed big bears but that mid aged 200-250 pounders are perfect imo. I won’t be super picky. Anything with a nice cinnamon coat is going down. And also anything with a black coat also probably going down lol the giant bears just aren’t that much more interesting to me unless your really in need of meat. Or a rug. The impressive amount of fat of a mature bear is really appealing to me however. I live off that stuff.

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »
Yeah I feel like I’ve really been missing the boat on rendering the fat. If and when I get one this year I will be seeking some knowledge from those of you who have the process down perfect. Any body ever notice a taste difference/preference between fall and spring bear fat?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
Way less fat in the spring versus fall, for obvious reasons

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 04:39:46 PM »
Yeah I feel like I’ve really been missing the boat on rendering the fat. If and when I get one this year I will be seeking some knowledge from those of you who have the process down perfect. Any body ever notice a taste difference/preference between fall and spring bear fat?

Never eaten a spring bear but fat rendering is very simple. Cut the fat into small pieces and cook it low in a big pot. You will know when the fat is done rendering by all the small crispy cracklings floating on top of the oil. Just don’t over heat the oil. As long as there’s still water in the fat evident by bubbling, then it’s pretty hard to over heat it.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 09:46:27 PM »
My son and I drew this tag also.   My son will probably be able to get over more often than me. Right now I'm just planning on making memorial weekend a 5 day weekend.  Good luck everyone.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 08:39:48 PM »
Anybody make it over for opening weekend? I’m headed out tomorrow afternoon and hopefully hunting for three or four days.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]