collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knight or CVA  (Read 6582 times)

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Knight or CVA
« on: March 18, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »
Just gave my son my ild knight bighorn and im going to buy something new. Here are the options

Knight Disc
Knight Ultralight
CVA Acurra MRX or LRX

Any suggestions or comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Knight or CVA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 01:01:25 PM »
If I bought a new muzzy it would be the knight ultralight. Sabotloader sent me a detailed PM about it how to make it watertight with some add ons. Pretty sweet

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »
Knight Ultralight or 500.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline Hunt_n_Fish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »
I have a new ultralight and it shoots awesome. Knight on the other hand is a joke of a company in my experience to work with. They do not properly pack rifles to be sent across the country. Did I mention the gun shoots awesome though. Still waiting for a pack of bullets they said they were going to ship. I should probably call and remind Jason for the 10th time. I just bought a Bergara rifle and BPI has awesome customer service.

Ben

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 01:30:31 PM »
I have a knight bighorn and just purchased an Accura last year. I love how light the Accura is, but I am no fan of the Peep sight system I added to it. I will be going back to my Bighorn with the Williams peep system that works much better for me than the Western Precision Peep system that I put on my Accura. I have found that the inserts for the front sight on the Accura get washed out and you cannot see them at all if a dark background or low light. The Accura has a trigger that is super light and will take some getting used to compared to the Knight Bighorn. The 209 is nice on the Accura, but I have yet to have my Bighorn misfire with No.11 caps, so next season I will be toting the Bighorn and the Accura will either be sold or scoped if they legalize them in Washington.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »
Just gave my son my ild knight bighorn and im going to buy something new. Here are the options

Knight Disc
Knight Ultralight
CVA Acurra MRX or LRX

Any suggestions or comments?

The DISC is a very good price right and it certainly works well!!! plus the options that it allows you are excellent.  It will shoot every bit as good as the ULite!

The ULite has come down quite a bit and yes does have advantages over the DISC - Less Weight, Excellent carry rifle and the added option of Nitride finish.  I would certainly suggest the Western Version

Either rifle I would suggest the FPJ type ignition from the factory and then convert to 209 ignition with Lehigh Defense option, a primer adapter for the 'Red Plastic Jacket bolt and bare 209 breech plug with vent liner.

DISC set up for Western hunting

ULite set up for rifle hunting season

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »
I got 2 disc extremes now ! Now it’s time to upgrade my sights on them! I got the rear Williams peeps now I got to figure out the front sights

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 08:43:30 PM »
I have a CVA Optima (a few years old and was the same as Accura without the upgraded barrel) and absolutely love it. Everything about it is easy, maintaining it and keeping it dry in real hunting applications is easy, the weight and balance is perfect,  I love the thing, its just a great gun. My brother has a Knight (not sure which one) it shoots accurately, when it shoots. He has had issues with it which might be more user error than gun related, but everything about it just seems a little awkward to me. As you can tell from my words, personal decision, both will shoot good, which one feels good in your hand and will be natural for you to operate?

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »
JakeLand, Lee Shaver has the front globes with a 3/8' dovetail. I had a local gunsmith cut the dovetail into the barrel. It is the best option according to Mr Shaver. We did 2 disc extremes and a bighorn. We used model #LS17625 which is 5/8" from bottom of dovetail to center of globe.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 12:43:30 PM »
I have a knight bighorn and just purchased an Accura last year. I love how light the Accura is, but I am no fan of the Peep sight system I added to it. I will be going back to my Bighorn with the Williams peep system that works much better for me than the Western Precision Peep system that I put on my Accura. I have found that the inserts for the front sight on the Accura get washed out and you cannot see them at all if a dark background or low light. The Accura has a trigger that is super light and will take some getting used to compared to the Knight Bighorn. The 209 is nice on the Accura, but I have yet to have my Bighorn misfire with No.11 caps, so next season I will be toting the Bighorn and the Accura will either be sold or scoped if they legalize them in Washington.

Paint this on the cross hairs on the front sight insert on your Accura.   "Charge" it with a headlamp before first light and before last light.  Works quite well for me to see the crosshairs and the target in low light conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/ORIGINAL-Super-Phosphorescent-Concentrated-lasting/dp/B004K56TS8

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »

Paint this on the cross hairs on the front sight insert on your Accura.   "Charge" it with a headlamp before first light and before last light.  Works quite well for me to see the crosshairs and the target in low light conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/ORIGINAL-Super-Phosphorescent-Concentrated-lasting/dp/B004K56TS8

how much did it thicken the crosshair? I was going to try some kind of a white dot in the center of my lee shaver

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 01:01:26 PM »

Thanks for the information on this. I will give it a try for Spring bear and see how my eyes like it.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »

how much did it thicken the crosshair? I was going to try some kind of a white dot in the center of my lee shaver

It depends on how much you put on.  I used a thin artist paint brush.  I painted the entire length of the crosshairs, and then put a glob in the center of the crosshairs.   I used a Lee Shaver insert crosshairs in mine (I made my own front globe before Western Precision made these sets), but it's the same process/concept.   

Attached photo isn't very good because of where the camera on my phone is, but if you can see the glob in the center in the photo well enough then you get the idea.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »
I bought a disc extreme...they only had the 209 for sale but thats legal here. $350...now I just need to find a sight for it

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »
Vote for disc.. Not sure if the other models are but I dont like break up actions for mz..disc was an upgrade over bighorn and although its a Lil over 8lbs it seems really solid free hand and under 70 would take it over my scoped American mainly due to the better trigger.. They are harder to take apart than others and my routine is time consuming to prepare for a hunt to make sure theres no oil anywhere internally and everything is dry but have never had problem in late western WA seasons..havnt dealt with customer service in years as I havnt needed anything other than a new nipple..

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal