collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog 1st aide  (Read 8022 times)

Offline aorams

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Re: Dog 1st aide
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2021, 06:56:52 AM »
A few years back our dog got hypothermia on a very cold snowshoe hike. He got so sick he couldn’t walk and could barely hold himself up. We were a good 3 miles from the car. We had purchased on of these: https://fidoprotection.com/ years earlier on a whim and we had it with us so I was able to wrap him in my insulation layers and carry him out. Once we dropped a bunch of elevation and got into the timber he perked up a bit and was able to start slowly walking again which warmed him up enough to get to the car but it was a scary little hour or so. I’m more careful now about where and when we take him places now but also have the carrier in my backpack whenever he’s with me. Like anything though make sure you practice with it first

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2021, 10:25:36 AM »
The final rise upland pack has a built in dog pack out deal.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 12:08:13 PM »
Pack to carry out dog?

On my list for next year...they can be a game/life changer. My sister runs an HRD dog in Oregon...I will have her send me her complete list and post. All the suggestions have been great...packing a kit for my dog is similar to what I pack for my human kids...my dog is like another child in my opinion... I don't mind the extra weight to make sure I am ready to save her life :tup:

Did you get the list from her??  I would love to see it.  This would be a pretty good thread to pin.  I do carry a first aid kit, but wondered if I had the right items in it.

On the rattlesnake vaccine.  Over a decade now.  At first my Vet said he only saw TWO dogs that were vaccinated.  One looked like he NEVER met the snake.  The other looked like he NEVER met the vaccine.

These days, his opinion is do it. $30 for the initial shot, plus a follow up in six months.  Then $30 a year.

Cheap insurance.
My girlfriend's vet recommended getting the rattlesnake vaccine for her dog while she lived in Texas for a few months. I will be getting it for my dog for sure for hunting the banks of the Columbia. $30 is cheap for something like that for how prevalent snakes are!
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline frazierw

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
Pack to carry out dog?

On my list for next year...they can be a game/life changer. My sister runs an HRD dog in Oregon...I will have her send me her complete list and post. All the suggestions have been great...packing a kit for my dog is similar to what I pack for my human kids...my dog is like another child in my opinion... I don't mind the extra weight to make sure I am ready to save her life :tup:

Did you get the list from her??  I would love to see it.  This would be a pretty good thread to pin.  I do carry a first aid kit, but wondered if I had the right items in it.

On the rattlesnake vaccine.  Over a decade now.  At first my Vet said he only saw TWO dogs that were vaccinated.  One looked like he NEVER met the snake.  The other looked like he NEVER met the vaccine.

These days, his opinion is do it. $30 for the initial shot, plus a follow up in six months.  Then $30 a year.

Cheap insurance.
My girlfriend's vet recommended getting the rattlesnake vaccine for her dog while she lived in Texas for a few months. I will be getting it for my dog for sure for hunting the banks of the Columbia. $30 is cheap for something like that for how prevalent snakes are!

I asked my vet about the rattlesnake vaccine, we had 3 pups and the mama get bit last year.  He said the vaccine only buys you a few hours, you still have to get the antidote, even if they are vaccinated.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 02:13:01 PM »
How old do the pups need to be before getting the snake bite shots?

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2021, 02:21:55 PM »
From a California vet...
https://www.thedrakecenter.com/services/dogs/blog/rattlesnake-vaccine-right-your-dog
On average, the doctors at The Drake Center treat one snake bite per week in peak rattlesnake season, between the months of May and September. Thankfully, a preventative vaccine is currently available for dogs—but is it a good fit for your family?

This vaccine—given in two doses one month apart the first year, followed by an annual booster— stimulates the immune system to generate protective antibodies against rattlesnake venom. These protective antibodies function by neutralizing the venom in the case of a bite. After vaccination, dogs are reported to experience less pain and have a reduced risk of permanent injury from rattlesnake bites. Testing has been performed to show that serum from vaccinated dogs and other animals neutralizes venom from a number of species of Crotalus found in the United States.

It is essential to note, however, that the vaccine does not eliminate the need to seek emergency veterinary care after the pet is bitten. Even a vaccinated dog may still go into shock and need lifesaving medical care, including an injection of antivenin to neutralize the toxicity of the venom. The vaccine also does not provide protection against venom from the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snake.

Treatment for rattlesnake evenomation involves:

-Treating for shock with intravenous fluids, pain medications and steroids
-Treating the wound with topical therapy and antibiotics
-Testing and treating for coagulopathies (trouble clotting the blood)
-Administration of intravenous antivenin and monitoring for anaphylactic reactions
-All pets will need to be hospitalized and most pets will need 24-hour care at an emergency hospital even with the vaccination.
How old do the pups need to be before getting the snake bite shots?
Methow vet says 4 months. https://www.methowvalleyvethospital.com/rattlesnake-vaccine-faq.html
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw