collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Morels  (Read 47108 times)

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
Re: Morels
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2022, 09:01:16 AM »
Had some luck up in the Schneider Springs burn last weekend.  Seemed like 3500-3800 feet was where we found the most - quality was better in partial shade, near logs and water that retain some moisture.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2022, 08:36:22 AM »
Had some luck up in the Schneider Springs burn last weekend.  Seemed like 3500-3800 feet was where we found the most - quality was better in partial shade, near logs and water that retain some moisture.

That's a great haul!! We found a few over memorial weekend, 3600 elevation. Nothing in the higher up burned areas we checked out yet, still too cold I guess.
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2022, 02:33:07 PM »
This is a weird year in my experience. Pray for rain, got too much, but it stayed cool so my spots were delayed an entire month. The best might be yet too come above 5000 feet. Pics coming

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »
That’s most of them. About ten pounds and I think I could have found a lot more but had to head home

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2022, 06:30:16 PM »
I agree on the odd year, tried one of our higher areas, found 1 the size of a pea, way to early this year, will check back there in 2 weeks,

Headed towards another area a bit lower, 3 bowls are me from Sunday, Today with the better half we found the other bowls, 406 count today.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2022, 08:26:52 AM »
Nice, those look good quality too. It's weird but I think mid June might be on for the high elevation. Where I go, its typically long over by that time usually.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2022, 06:47:52 PM »
The verdict is in. I have developed an allergy to morels and it will likely last the rest of my life I have been told. Been eating them (in large amounts which is probably the downfall) for years and now my gut just won't handle them. Quick onset of nausea and then vomiting. Thought it was alcohol induced but now it happens regardless of alcohol consumption.

It's crazy. Morels even taste different to me now. The taste is still decent but its not the same (not nearly as good) and my mind is like "whaa??" after I swallow it down. I will be giving all my morels away in the future.  I still love to find them and so will continue to hunt for em'.

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2022, 07:06:08 PM »
The verdict is in. I have developed an allergy to morels and it will likely last the rest of my life I have been told. Been eating them (in large amounts which is probably the downfall) for years and now my gut just won't handle them. Quick onset of nausea and then vomiting. Thought it was alcohol induced but now it happens regardless of alcohol consumption.

It's crazy. Morels even taste different to me now. The taste is still decent but its not the same (not nearly as good) and my mind is like "whaa??" after I swallow it down. I will be giving all my morels away in the future.  I still love to find them and so will continue to hunt for em'.

I love morels but with some health issues we avoid them ( especially with alcohol) I know people that have the same experience you do with reactions with morels. Not everyone can get along with them.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2022, 07:18:39 PM »

It’s been a great year for me. Looking forward to hitting some of my higher elevation spots in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2022, 08:14:12 PM »

It’s been a great year for me. Looking forward to hitting some of my higher elevation spots in the next couple weeks.

hopefully that isn’t National forest land and you harvested more then your 5 gallon allotment!  Oh ya, and make sure you have your harvest paper with you so you don’t get a warning or worse yet a ticket!!🤦🏻 

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2022, 07:43:38 AM »

Great haul!  :tup:  :tup: Do you mind sharing what elevation you found them at?
-Aldo Leopold

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2022, 08:03:02 AM »
Elevation will  be particular to an area.  Think temperature instead.  Morels want soil temps of 50-55F.  Look for elevations with air temp ranges of mid 40s to 60.  Bring a digital thermometer to check the soil.  As for the William O Douglas burn we were finding them lower than higher last week,  3000- 3500 ft.

Good luck out there.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2022, 08:25:56 AM »
Elevation will  be particular to an area.  Think temperature instead.  Morels want soil temps of 50-55F.  Look for elevations with air temp ranges of mid 40s to 60.  Bring a digital thermometer to check the soil.  As for the William O Douglas burn we were finding them lower than higher last week,  3000- 3500 ft.

Good luck out there.

Good info, thank you. I'm still learning and never thought to bring a thermometer to check soil Temps.  :tup:
-Aldo Leopold

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »
Has anyone tried the Ford Corkscrew fire from last year?

Would this be a good place to try? https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7803/

I've only found about a dozen so far this year and it was on a burn from 2018. Hoping a more recent burn = more growth?

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2022, 09:32:23 AM »
My son had a bad experience with them a couple years ago.....thus the lack of morel hunting on my part.  He had been eating them with no problems.....then the last time he had them he had an upset stomach, nausea and vomiting.  Makes it hard to get excited to pick them after that.  I have never had a reaction....my wife and daughter don't like them.....thus no morels for our family.  Super bummed......it was one of the activities that made me look forward to spring.  :bash: :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal