collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzle loader help!!!  (Read 5691 times)

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Muzzle loader help!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 10:39:47 AM »
If you loose, break, shoot your ramrod....it can be more difficult to find another.  May be worth picking a spare up to have on hand.

Forgive me for hijacking the intent of the thread.  But what is "shooting a ramrod?"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 10:45:35 AM »
If you loose, break, shoot your ramrod....it can be more difficult to find another.  May be worth picking a spare up to have on hand.

Forgive me for hijacking the intent of the thread.  But what is "shooting a ramrod?"
Failure to remove it after loading.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »

Ahem.....I wouldn't know what he is talking about.

I have heard that is what happens when you are distracted and leave your ramrod in the barrel and fire.

I've also heard it hurts like hell!!!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
777 pellets are not recommended by manufacturer to be used with #11 caps. They will work and you think there isn’t a problem until there is. I spoke to Hodgson and they advise reading the packaging closely ... they told me it does say on a box of 777 pellets “Recommended for use with 209 ignition”

I use Dynamit Nobel 1075 caps, 777 fffg powder & 250 grn shockwave bullets. I wouldn’t be worried about heavier bullets unless your gun shoots them better. 250 grns is a huge hunk of lead. I and have killed elk at 200 yards with no problems.

Always have a backup ram rod even breaking one can ruin a hunt so it’s just a good idea and I never go on a hunt without a spare in my truck. Never needed it but it’s there if I do. Good luck
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 11:38:14 AM »
777 pellets are not recommended by manufacturer to be used with #11 caps. They will work and you think there isn’t a problem until there is. I spoke to Hodgson and they advise reading the packaging closely ... they told me it does say on a box of 777 pellets “Recommended for use with 209 ignition”

I use Dynamit Nobel 1075 caps, 777 fffg powder & 250 grn shockwave bullets. I wouldn’t be worried about heavier bullets unless your gun shoots them better. 250 grns is a huge hunk of lead. I and have killed elk at 200 yards with no problems.

Always have a backup ram rod even breaking one can ruin a hunt so it’s just a good idea and I never go on a hunt without a spare in my truck. Never needed it but it’s there if I do. Good luck

Sure, go ahead and brag about never needing a back up ramrod. 
Like I'm the only one to shoot my ramrod at an elk......
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Online Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »

Sounds like archery to me  :dunno:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »

Sorry I wasn’t picking on you I had no idea you did that  :dunno: more important question is did you kill it?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 01:38:35 PM »

Sorry I wasn’t picking on you I had no idea you did that  :dunno: more important question is did you kill it?

Nope. 

Very high on my list of stupidest things I've ever done.  LOL

Shot my ramrod right at a B& C spike.   

My hunting partner still sends my pics of big spikes.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline farfrompar28

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 06:56:29 PM »
Remington recommends 120 gr FFG MAX.  I use 110 gr FFFG T7 with 290 TEZ Barnes.

I uploaded the manual for the rifle.  https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,233172.msg3110852.html#msg3110852

Link doesn’t work for Rem.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
Here is the PDF.

Glad I downloaded it long ago.

Offline farfrompar28

• Business Sponsor