collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Diaphragm calls  (Read 3299 times)

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Diaphragm calls
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »
For me, the thing with these calls is that they make me want to GAG when I have them in my mouth. I suffer from acid reflux so I'm wondering if that's a cause, but I can't keep one in my mouth for more than a couple of minutes because I start gagging. I've tried different types and sizes. I see the value of a mouth call so I may give them a try someday.

Your likely putting it to far back in your mouth. I would gag also as a kid before I learned how to use them properly. It should almost be touching your front teeth. Some one once recommended making a hole and tying a string to the reed to pull it out if you gag.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
If you’re struggling that bad I wouldn’t try them in the woods.  Stick to a box or pot call.  You don’t have to use a diaphragm call to get them close.  Use your body to hide your calling when they get close.  When they give you a chance lift your gun and shoot.  It’s 50/50 on whether I call a bird in with a diaphragm or friction call.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 10:34:31 AM »
For me, the thing with these calls is that they make me want to GAG when I have them in my mouth. I suffer from acid reflux so I'm wondering if that's a cause, but I can't keep one in my mouth for more than a couple of minutes because I start gagging. I've tried different types and sizes. I see the value of a mouth call so I may give them a try someday.

Your likely putting it to far back in your mouth. I would gag also as a kid before I learned how to use them properly. It should almost be touching your front teeth. Some one once recommended making a hole and tying a string to the reed to pull it out if you gag.

Based on this I may give it a try again. Thanks.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »
If you’re struggling that bad I wouldn’t try them in the woods.  Stick to a box or pot call.  You don’t have to use a diaphragm call to get them close.  Use your body to hide your calling when they get close.  When they give you a chance lift your gun and shoot.  It’s 50/50 on whether I call a bird in with a diaphragm or friction call.

Yeah, the box calls and pots have worked for me, but I wouldn't mind being able to use a diaphragm call.  Thanks.

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 02:15:10 PM »
I'd echo what a couple others have said - don't be afraid to try a few different options until you find the one that suits you best.  I've had $20 dollar calls that sound like a dying penguin when trying to use them, and $4 dollar calls that will have turkeys running over you when you use them.  All about finding the ones that feel and sound the best for you personally.

Good luck on the hunt!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »
I use the Primos Elk diaphram (the blue one) for everything (elk and turkeys).  I can't get a "turkey" call to sound right, but I've been using those Primos calls for so long elk calling, I can make it sound like a turkey.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »
I bought all the different calls, and has been stated, try them until you find one that works. I want to be able to use the call ‘cold’ and trust it the first time I use it when the action starts. I settled on a ‘discount table’ box call and gave all the rest away.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal