collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guess the species and win a free book  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: Guess the species and win a free book
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2021, 01:25:34 PM »
 :yeah:  Always got to beat the game.  :rolleyes:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Online ucwarden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 01:50:12 PM »
You know, I never had a clue that Google would search out photos too, but judging by the fact there were a couple of incorrect guesses, I assume I wasn't the only one who didn't know that.  Since this contest was just for a book, from one forum member to the others, I really never thought anyone would try to find a way to search for the photo by way of the internet.  Well at least we all know how to do it now.  I'm just bummed the contest had to be stopped, but I will find some way to revive it, hopefully in a way where the playing field is even. 

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
Sorry to point that feature out.  Image search has been around for about 20 years now.  2nd nature to many.  Good luck with your contest.

Online ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 03:08:31 PM »
Sorry to point that feature out.  Image search has been around for about 20 years now.  2nd nature to many.  Good luck with your contest.
No worries.  I'm sure not a computer guy, so I learned something new.  I think I'm going offer books at my cost on here, with the proceeds going to Officer Kimberly Potter's legal defense.  I am trying to contact someone with the Brooklyn Center MN Police Officer's Association, to find out how to get money to her.  I will keep you posted.

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 04:25:45 PM »
I’m sorry but didn’t that officer admit to being guilty?
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Online ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2021, 05:23:42 PM »
I’m sorry but didn’t that officer admit to being guilty?
  If she did, it's news to me.  After reading your post I looked on the internet, and can't find anything indicating she admitted being guilty.  What she admitted to, is accidentally shooting Duante Wright with her pistol rather than what she intended to shoot him with- her taser. 
While I certainly think this was one of the worst accidents, at the worst time, under the worst circumstances, and is certainly tragic, I don't see a crime there anywhere.  I do not believe she should not retain her job, but to charge her with a crime...I don't agree with. 
Mr. Wright was apparently being arrested for a lawful arrest warrant (for having an unlicensed firearm, which raises the risk level for the officers), then decided to attempt escape instead of cooperating.  I see nothing at all wrong with using a taser under those circumstances, as getting into a vehicle pursuit with him endangers everyone in the path.
Take a look at the Minnesota 2nd degree manslaughter law, and I think you will see why I personally (and I am not an attorney) think what she did does not meet all of the elements of the crime.
So as far as supporting her, I am proud to do so.  As to anyone who doesn't agree, you need not contribute a dime.

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2021, 10:04:18 PM »
No worries.  I'm sure not a computer guy, so I learned something new.  I think I'm going offer books at my cost on here, with the proceeds going to Officer Kimberly Potter's legal defense.  I am trying to contact someone with the Brooklyn Center MN Police Officer's Association, to find out how to get money to her.  I will keep you posted.

That’s a bummer, I was hoping to get a shot at your “operation Cody”. . One thing if your interested in doing is google sheets does a name randomizer, luck of the draw with people’s names that are interested.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2021, 10:52:29 PM »
....... or we could enjoy taking guesses like the OP had envisioned, rather than google searching an image like a typical d-bag would do. Is that too much to ask for from a hunting forum, rather than make suggestions how the OP should run his contest? Sorry your contest turned into this UC. Your books have been great reads and thanks for all the hard work.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2021, 08:13:05 AM »
....... or we could enjoy taking guesses like the OP had envisioned, rather than google searching an image like a typical d-bag would do. Is that too much to ask for from a hunting forum, rather than make suggestions how the OP should run his contest? Sorry your contest turned into this UC. Your books have been great reads and thanks for all the hard work.

:yeah:

Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2021, 10:16:17 AM »
You know, I never had a clue that Google would search out photos too, but judging by the fact there were a couple of incorrect guesses, I assume I wasn't the only one who didn't know that.  Since this contest was just for a book, from one forum member to the others, I really never thought anyone would try to find a way to search for the photo by way of the internet.  Well at least we all know how to do it now.  I'm just bummed the contest had to be stopped, but I will find some way to revive it, hopefully in a way where the playing field is even.

I have an idea. You're a writer, you could make a somewhat vague description of the animal with enough clues for someone to get the animal you're describing. Might be kinda fun. Sort of like a riddle game. I have Operation Cody, blood still boils thinking about that guy I think you called Boory? Can't remember for sure.

Online ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »
I appreciate your comments.  Thanks
You could do a number generator
Have people guess a number.
Auction one off.
Help pay for shipping, you might get more for it than you think. Even better if you gave the money toward something charitable.

Have people guess draw date for upcoming draws ,win a free book.
Just ideas
@ucwarden

Myself I'm always day late dollar short.
And I do agree my Google foo was strong.

Another great idea.  Thanks

I have an idea. You're a writer, you could make a somewhat vague description of the animal with enough clues for someone to get the animal you're describing. Might be kinda fun. Sort of like a riddle game. I have Operation Cody, blood still boils thinking about that guy I think you called Boory? Can't remember for sure.
And yet another great idea, thanks.  Glad you liked Operation Cody, but keep in mind WDFW has a whole new admin and is once again a great place to work.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]