collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trailer wheel bearings (updated Question!)  (Read 5885 times)

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Trailer wheel bearings (updated Question!)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info so far.  So I pulled the wheels and caps and the one side of the trailer was packed with grease and looked new.  The other side was also packed with grease but there is definitely a darker tint to the grease.  All four axles have grease zerks on them. 

On the side that has dirtier grease should I just pump some new grease in?  Does the grease push through to the front on these, so you could pump grease through until clean grease comes out the front?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:42:32 PM by bearhunter99 »
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 01:59:31 PM »
always check your bearings if used or not every couple years.  Carry a loaded and ready complete hub assembly as it's cheap, I use six robbles for my trailer stuff.  If bearings look good keep as spares too. 
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 02:24:43 PM »
If it were me i would pull inspect and repack. Do the axles have eletric brakes? Is so do not overfil with the zert fitting it will puke the grease into the trailer breaks....

Ill let you figure out how I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
If it were me i would pull inspect and repack. Do the axles have eletric brakes? Is so do not overfil with the zert fitting it will puke the grease into the trailer breaks....

Ill let you figure out how I know.

It does have electric brakes which was why I was curious as to where the grease comes out....

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 02:42:52 PM »
The dirtier grease has just that, dirt. Dirt leaves tiny scratches in bearing surfaces, which with miles turns in to big scratches. Especially with a trailer that has been parked for an extended period, I would replace all the bearings and eliminate all doubt. The advice about saving old ones as spares is a good plan.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline dutchmanaz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: dutchmanaz
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 03:46:08 PM »
Are you SURE your brakes aren't locked up/stuck in the "on" position? Regardless, replacing the bearings and keep checking them will save you a lot of heartache down the road.

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 04:57:34 PM »
Such over complication.

If the wheels dont wiggle side to side, pump 4-6 pumps of grease in each hub, pound the caps back on and call it good.

You'll be fine

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »
If you are heading to Montana, your OP said in a week. I think I would have taken the advise from the first OP reply's. Replace, re-pack you are running out of time. For me all four would have been a 3 or 4 hour chore if the seals and bearings looked good.  It's not fun sitting on the side of the road with bearings frozen to the spindle, once was enough for me.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Moose Master

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2021, 12:54:53 PM »
How is the spare tire and the jack for the trailer???   Repack bearings

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 01:06:14 PM »
Id still just go for it.

Look at it this way, if you do get stranded in Montana, you can post your troubles here and I'm sure a few Eastern washington Huntwa members will come to your rescue. That Machias guy seems pretty nice.

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
Pulled everything last night.  The dirtier grease was because someone pumped too much grease in and the grease was coming out the back of the rear seal.  Bearings and brakes were all in great shape although there was some grease in the back but luckily it did not get on the inside of the drum or on the brake pads.  Everything is repacked and tight. 

As for waiting until the last minute, life happens.  I have a full time job and a lot of other crap going on and its tough enough just getting tomorrow off and finishing everything else on my check list at home and work and pulling hubs and repacking is not high on my list of things I want to do after dark in the wind......

I appreciate the advice everyone.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 07:59:22 PM »
Great job getting it done! Totally live the busy life and get it. Now have a safe trip, enjoy the scenery and weather!

Offline link

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Trailer wheel bearings
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
You can buy loaded hubs at Napa etc. that are ready to go for not much more than bearings and seals if its easier for you.
I second this. I keep an extra hub assembly for my trailers. Easy to replace...even on the side of the road. :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »
You can buy loaded hubs at Napa etc. that are ready to go for not much more than bearings and seals if its easier for you.
I second this. I keep an extra hub assembly for my trailers. Easy to replace...even on the side of the road. :chuckle:
I will note that the most "trick accessory" i have seen is a full loaded hub with the spare attached to it. I normally keep an extra set of bearing and seals and other tailer parts in my kit, but that would be next level prepardness. 2c

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal