collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recommendations for Outboard Service  (Read 496 times)

Offline ducks4days

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Recommendations for Outboard Service
« on: April 13, 2021, 03:04:50 PM »
I have a 15hp Johnson outboard I use on a jon boat for ducks that quit working right at the end of the season. Any recommendations for a place on the west side (preferable near Enumclaw but I'm willing to travel a bit for honest work) that will service, and how much should I expect to pay?

Offline hunthard

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
Re: Recommendations for Outboard Service
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 03:08:38 PM »
Auburn sports & marine, good luck getting in but they are the best.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
I have a 15hp Johnson outboard I use on a jon boat for ducks that quit working right at the end of the season. Any recommendations for a place on the west side (preferable near Enumclaw but I'm willing to travel a bit for honest work) that will service, and how much should I expect to pay?

What year?

The reason I ask is many shops wont work on the older stuff. The ones that do charge around 125/hr.

That said,the older ones are easy to work on and most parts are still available.

Toms Outboards in Oly just burned down and as a result everyone is backed up more than usual.

Offline Chesterdog

• Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
No luck here.  I called my go to place, Ricks Master Marine but they're an authorized Mercury and Honda mechanic and don't work on Johnson.

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 04:28:43 PM »
Larry at Power Sports Repair LLC in Auburn works on outboards , snowmobiles etc. Works out of his house , always does a good job on my stuff. He's not brand specific and seems to work on most anything.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:41:03 PM by MIKEXRAY »

Offline ducks4days

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 04:52:14 PM »
Jay, definitely older. I bought it used and donít actually know the year. My main issue is 60h work weeks, so not much time for my own projects. Basically the same reason I have 2 non-running motorcycles.

Hunthard, Iíll call Auburn. Fortunately I have some time between now and early goose to get in.

Offline ducks4days

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:55:38 PM »
MIKEXRAY, I might call Larry before auburn marine, in case he has more bandwidth. Thank you!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »
Tomís Outboard in Olympia has been my Johnson mechanic for 30 years.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Jay, definitely older. I bought it used and donít actually know the year. My main issue is 60h work weeks, so not much time for my own projects. Basically the same reason I have 2 non-running motorcycles.

Hunthard, Iíll call Auburn. Fortunately I have some time between now and early goose to get in.

I was going to say Auburn or Ricks. Was not aware Toms burned down.

Two non running motorcycles? Do tell! Always interested in another motorcycle project...

Offline ducks4days

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »

I was going to say Auburn or Ricks. Was not aware Toms burned down.

Two non running motorcycles? Do tell! Always interested in another motorcycle project...

I got my endorsement 6 years ago, and immediately bought a non-running 88 VTR 250 for $400. Tore it apart and cleaned the carbs, new battery, new mirrors, new tires, and it was good to go. Its a sweet little bike that gets 70mpg and will get up to about 85mph on the hwy, so I use it as a commuter when the weather is tolerable. It always had this weird "lurchy" thing it would do that I could never figure out. Back in September the chain started falling off, which is when I found out the rear sprocket was missing teeth. So I just need to replace the sprocket and chain, then recharge the battery and cycle out the gas from last year, but the time to do it especially without a garage is hard to come by.

The other one is a 95 Intruder 800 which has been an unbearable PITA the entire time I've owned it. Its super comfortable to ride, but it has ~58k on it and the carbs/engine are temperamental and need to be cleaned like once a month just to keep it from dying while in idle. You basically need to take the whole thing apart just to get to any of the parts, So I was trading a week of dinking with it for 3 weeks of riding it, when I already had another bike that got double the mileage and I sort of just gave up.   :bash:

* Advertisement