collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Gill Nets Target BASS in Lake WA  (Read 27031 times)

Offline AKBowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Commercial Gill Nets Target BASS in Lake WA
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:00:30 PM »
Well they are at it again. I just want to draw attention to the facts here. Muckleshoot tribe has gotten approval to run 3 commercial fishing boats 5 days per week from end of March through At least June. Each boat will be running eight Nets with a length of 100 yards per net. Yes that means there will be 2,400 yards yards of Nets 5 days per week for the next 8 weeks.

These Nets are set in strategic areas to target and kill bass as they move to their spring time spawning areas. The Muckleshoots are under the thought process that bass are significantly impacting salmon smolt survival. There has been zero studies done on Lake Washington to prove this being a fact. Yet they are going to wipe this fishery out the same as they did on Lake Sammamish in 2019. There is just as much or more evidence that native Cutthroat trout target and negatively impact smolt survival yet there are no efforts to target removal of this species.

Largemouth were introduced to Lake WA in the early 1900’s while SM were introduced in the 60’ or earlier. These species thrive in the warming waters of Lake WA while, as upsetting as it is, since the lake was altered to flow west through Union canal, salmon have NOT and will NOT thrive in this lake.

3 commercial boats with 8 Nets each running X 5 days per week is HARDLY a “test”. It’s a commercial decimation of a 100 year old, nationally renowned sort fishery for the benefit of a very small special interest group.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this? How can this be allowable by law and why doesn’t WDFW step up and put a stop to this?

https://nwsportsmanmag.com/tribe-begins-warmwater-test-fishery-on-lake-washington-2-pike-reportedly-caught/
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
Re: Commercial Gill Nets Target BASS in Lake WA
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 04:08:52 PM »
Meh

Non native species. And there are viable Salmon runs through the locks and into the lakes.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 04:10:01 PM »
 I gotta say, I am happy to see the tribes doing this myself! :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:14 PM »
The number one thing killing salmon is development. Politicians won’t touch that though- too many of them have their hands in that cookie jar. Netting the bass won’t bring back sockeye. But whatever, kill the bass. Then you won’t have sockeye or bass to fish for.

Sincerely,

A duck hunter who has lost too much habitat to “salmon restoration”.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 04:23:02 PM »
So you are happy the state is allowing them to decimate a sport fishery with near zero evidence to show the targeted species has any negative impact on Salmon runs?

I am going to assume this is because you are a salmon fisherman? So am I. The difference is I am not silly enough to think that if Salmon were ever to come back that I would actually be able to fish them, let alone retain them here.

Online Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
Fighting an uphill battle here. Non-native species vs. a Sockeye fishery in Lak Washington that generates millions of dollars every day that it is open. I agree, there should be a smaller, more comprehensive study, during the Sockeye smolt releases upstream, to determine what impact, if any, there is from Bass. Hopefully they will at least be doing some stomach content evaluations to determine if there is predation taking place?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:32:02 PM »
So you are happy the state is allowing them to decimate a sport fishery with near zero evidence to show the targeted species has any negative impact on Salmon runs?

I am going to assume this is because you are a salmon fisherman? So am I. The difference is I am not silly enough to think that if Salmon were ever to come back that I would actually be able to fish them, let alone retain them here.

My first post wasn’t clear enough? Yes, I support this.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:32:47 PM »
To the other comment about the salmon having access through the locks. True but they can’t survive the water temps. So...kill all the bass, kill everything in the lake that could possibly predate on smolt, kill all the mergansers and loons for that matter. Then release all the smolt you want and they still won’t come back. If they do get a year where they get a return they will count enough fish through the weir to get to their number then go out and catch their quota. You’ll likely never get a chance to sport fish for them.

The fact is this is a warm water fishery now. The idea of it being a cold water fishery died when the lake was altered to flow West.

My biggest issue with all this is it is simply put:

The tribes are being allowed to act like an unregulated SPECIAL INTEREST group. Department of Fish and Wildlife should be the ONLY group allowed to make these decisions and they should be made in the interest of the public that they serve!

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 04:33:00 PM »

Yes, I’m completely OK with eliminating non native species.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 04:33:27 PM »
Well are salmon in bass stomachs?

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 04:35:49 PM »

My first post wasn’t clear enough? Yes, I support this.

Not clearing how/why? Your statement is the same as me stating I would support them clear cutting the greenbelt behind your house.

Offline knighttime25

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »
So we can expect to see roadside stands selling fresh bass fillets soon?  :chuckle:

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 04:37:49 PM »
To the other comment about the salmon having access through the locks. True but they can’t survive the water temps. So...kill all the bass, kill everything in the lake that could possibly predate on smolt, kill all the mergansers and loons for that matter. Then release all the smolt you want and they still won’t come back. If they do get a year where they get a return they will count enough fish through the weir to get to their number then go out and catch their quota. You’ll likely never get a chance to sport fish for them.

The fact is this is a warm water fishery now. The idea of it being a cold water fishery died when the lake was altered to flow West.

My biggest issue with all this is it is simply put:

The tribes are being allowed to act like an unregulated SPECIAL INTEREST group. Department of Fish and Wildlife should be the ONLY group allowed to make these decisions and they should be made in the interest of the public that they serve!

Sorry you don’t like the injuns....lol

I used to walk to work via the locks and can assure you there are lots of returning fish.

My guess is that they survived the spawning cycle via the lake.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 04:40:37 PM »

So, that includes sockeye?
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »

So, that includes sockeye?

If they can get approval..  lol

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]