collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Gill Nets Target BASS in Lake WA  (Read 27023 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Commercial Gill Nets Target BASS in Lake WA
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2021, 09:55:50 PM »
First off dude my post also say that I am not in denial of bass predation. Thats pretty obvious. I have also said that if multiple management practices are done sure have at it. All I have said repeatedly is that we won't see a sockeye fishery due to solely netting of bass.

Dude? How old are you? :chuckle:

“Multiple management practices” begin somewhere. Again, you presume this is “the one step fix all”, as you continue to rail on about it. Please point out where ANYONE has suggested this!

Secondly, I never said this would bring back the sockeye fishery, another “assumption” of yours.

You should know there are other species of salmon that run through the lake. The silver fishing is quite good and we limit regularly when they run. ;)

Carry on Dude! :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2021, 10:02:31 PM »
How long does something have to be present to be considered native?
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2021, 10:40:03 PM »

Just follow the science man... :chuckle:

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2021, 10:53:38 PM »
First off dude my post also say that I am not in denial of bass predation. Thats pretty obvious. I have also said that if multiple management practices are done sure have at it. All I have said repeatedly is that we won't see a sockeye fishery due to solely netting of bass.

“Multiple management practices” begin somewhere. Again, you presume this is “the one step fix all”, as you continue to rail on about it. Please point out where ANYONE has suggested this!

Secondly, I never said this would bring back the sockeye fishery, another “assumption” of yours.

You should know there are other species of salmon that run through the lake. The silver fishing is quite good and we limit regularly when they run
. ;)

Why kill the bass then?
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2021, 10:54:59 PM »

That depends on what kind of boat you bought.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »

You should know there are other species of salmon that run through the lake. The silver fishing is quite good and we limit regularly when they run
. ;)

Why kill the bass then?

Just one of many possible steps that need to be made to increase all the runs, sockeye, coho, chinook and steelhead. ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Roosevelt walleye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2021, 06:43:06 AM »
Hopefully the tribes in Washington don't read this and realize there are many in support of eliminating all non natives here. We might find ourselves on the chopping block!

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:26 AM »
So, everyone in favor of eliminating non-native species from all state water to benefit salmon etc are OK with ELIMINATING the NATIVE Squawfish...AKA. Northern Pike Minnow You are OK with a bounty put on the NATIVE Squawfish? OHHH the Humanity.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2021, 07:12:17 AM »
Yeah, careful what you wish for. I was surprised at the types on ‘non native’ fish we have in Washington and how many of the popular fish are ‘non native’.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2021, 07:13:15 AM »
Another great way to pit fisherman against each other. Even if reducing spiny ray numbers in Lake Washington would increase salmonid populations, who do you think will take those "extras"? I'll give a hint, the same folks that gill net out in front of the Ballard Locks. And by the way, this program will make no noticeable difference in salmo #s, we all lose.

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2021, 07:22:32 AM »
I have read articles in years past and talked to Muckleshoots associated with netting on Lake Sammamish. They claim that roughly 80% of smolt are killed off by warmwater species before making it to the salt. And say if they get rid of that predation it will solve the runs. No this is not my assumption or assertion this is what I am being told. So saying a one step fix all is based off of that. In which I don't agree with either. As I said one step of many that needs to take place. Many management practices need to be seen and I believe we both can agree on that.

You just admitted there is info out there suggesting high mortality due to “warmwater species”, yet are going on and on against the tribes attempting to due something about it. :chuckle:

Did you recently purchase a bass boat to fish Lake Washington! :chuckle:

The “info” he is talking about is one tribes claim that warm water species kill 80% of the salmon smolt before they reach salt. This claim is baseless and was one of the main reasons why they were originally allowed to net Sammamish in the first place. To “sample” the numbers of bass in an area and to examine the stomach content of those sample fish.

Now, neither of those two things have actually happened. They rotated 8 Nets through Sammamish for nearly 5 months in strategic areas over and again. They published very, very few catch records and never published any findings of stomach contents. Why? Probably because they didn’t find what the results wanted. Yet they are at it again blindly crippling an awesome bass fishery with no science behind their actions. The only real study that has ever been completed on bass-smolt predation was not on WA waters and the study found bass at less than .5% of the available smolt forage.

The above is the pet of it that really upsets me. These are our public waters and our public resources being messed with here. The only group that should be allowed to conduct this type of action should be the WDFW.

At this rate Who’s to say what’s next?
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2021, 07:27:26 AM »
We should just let them net up all Europeans too.  :chuckle:  I still don’t like the idea a tribe can do what ever they want when they want, with some half cocked idea they are going to save all the salmon.  That is one heck of a fishery and has been for some time now.  A little common sense would explain that Largemouth aren’t eating all the salmon smolts.  They have finally warped the minds of sportsman when we start following these “non natives are bad narratives”.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »
I'm willing to bet that netting a bunch of bass in Lake Wa this year will provide little support to salmon/trout/steelhead populations as well impact detrimental to bass.  I am also willing to bet that this will improve bass fishing for years to come.  Less competition for the remaining bass as well as a little more food. 

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2021, 07:42:59 AM »
I'm willing to bet that netting a bunch of bass in Lake Wa this year will provide little support to salmon/trout/steelhead populations as well impact detrimental to bass.  I am also willing to bet that this will improve bass fishing for years to come.  Less competition for the remaining bass as well as a little more food.
:tup: You might be on to something!

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2021, 07:47:39 AM »
I thought WDFW was incompetent?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]