collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Gill Nets Target BASS in Lake WA  (Read 27027 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Commercial Gill Nets Target BASS in Lake WA
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2021, 09:50:14 AM »
Ya, I think they planted Baker fish in the 1930's. Judging by the size of Bear Creek, it's hard to imaging a super sizeable run. Interesting that early accounts refer to "red fish".

Actually, the Baker run had gone down to under 100 fish by 1985. Through habitat restoration, mainly percolation and aeration added to the floor of Baker Lake, the annual runs are now 15-17,000. This particular sock has some of the highest fat content at 25-28%. It's beautiful fish and I've been lucky enough to see the fishing operation and eat some of it.

I was just stating that Baker lake fish were planted in the Lake Washington system in the '30s.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »
Oh! Now I understand. Sometimes before my 5th cup of coffee, English is my second language.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2021, 10:02:51 AM »
Oh! Now I understand. Sometimes before my 5th cup of coffee, English is my second language.

And sometimes after my third martini... :chuckle:
Low T Beta Male

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2021, 11:06:30 AM »
He will change his tune in a couple of years when he loses his favorite duck hunting marshes to salmon restoration. Because, if we save one fish life, it is all worth it.
I did lose my favorite duck hunting spot to salmon restoration, but way to make assumptions :tup: It was where I shot my first duck ever, and my dog at the time retrieved her first duck ever, but it turns out there were better places to hunt and the salmon need help more than ducks.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2021, 02:09:48 PM »
He will change his tune in a couple of years when he loses his favorite duck hunting marshes to salmon restoration. Because, if we save one fish life, it is all worth it.
I did lose my favorite duck hunting spot to salmon restoration, but way to make assumptions :tup: It was where I shot my first duck ever, and my dog at the time retrieved her first duck ever, but it turns out there were better places to hunt and the salmon need help more than ducks.
Most of the state intertidal land that can be "restored" has been. The last couple of jems will happen in the next few years. When that happens the state will still need to come up with 1k acres of intertidal to purchase to meet its agreement obligation. Since the last great feed/hunting spots will be mud and catails, perhaps Waterfowlers will embrace the restoration then... at least we will end up with some more places to hunt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »

So Bass are your political sacrifice because Salmon need more help? Even though the Bass were there when Salmon stocks were at their high and the Salmon didnt have a problem co-existing with Bass then??? That right there tells you its likely not the Bass that are your problem now? If they were you would have had problems long ago,  Bass arent going to wait 100 years to all of the sudden start being your problem for Salmon. 

Salmon and trout also eat bass fry. I watched trout gorge on baby bass last year on one of my favorite lakes so which is the apex predator again?

This is strange and absurd logic some of you have here  :o

BTW I'm with Bassquatch I don't have a dog in the fight because I don't fish LK Washington and I have many other spots that are better anyway. But I think its a sad when we loose opportunities for sportsmen no matter what it is, I've spoke up before for things I don't even do just for the fact that we cant and shouldn't be loosing any of these opportunities.

Where were the Muks in the 90's & early 2000's when this all started going south? Has anyone thought of that question? Oh let me tell you where they've been the last 20+ years ... taking the last of our steelhead out of the rivers. Now that there are none left they are so noble to step up and help save the salmon in the cedar river? :rolleyes: Gimme a break

I promise you if there was still a healthy run of steelhead in the Green and Puyallup there wouldn't be a Muk interested in wasting their time netting a Bass in Lk Washington!  :bash:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:23:52 PM by M_ray »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2021, 06:15:58 PM »
As a Environmentalist Fundamentalist, I side with the Salmon every time over the Bass which are everywhere. Wether it is Bass, or the fake Walleye or Pike panic, don’t give in to these dumb excuses for gillnets!
 Instead of this waste of time gillnetting we should be planting fish in our creeks which will in turn improve the habitat.  Habitat is always the excuse for not doing anything to fix our salmon runs.
If you asked a Salmon if they want more gillnetting to help them survive what do you think it would say?  :bdid:
I rest my case.  :hello:
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
If there were an easy button, I think it would have already been pressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2021, 10:29:54 PM »
As a Environmentalist Fundamentalist, I side with the Salmon every time over the Bass which are everywhere. Wether it is Bass, or the fake Walleye or Pike panic, don’t give in to these dumb excuses for gillnets!
 Instead of this waste of time gillnetting we should be planting fish in our creeks which will in turn improve the habitat.  Habitat is always the excuse for not doing anything to fix our salmon runs.
If you asked a Salmon if they want more gillnetting to help them survive what do you think it would say?  :bdid:
I rest my case.  :hello:

:yeah: This!

There were no problems when the state was planting fish and now that the hatchery programs have closed all the sudden its the bass that are at fault?   :rolleyes:

Some of you haven’t been paying attention over the years!  ;)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2021, 10:50:26 PM »
And that makes my statement untrue how?

:DOH:

So, how far back does the documentation go? Late 1700's at best, correct?????  I am talking a day or two before that. 

If you want to just stand on that documentation, then bass have been here during half of that time. 

Again, salmon migrated to lake Washington and its tributaries.  Heck, all of the tributaries of Puget Sound.  They have not been here forevever, they have been here for a blink of an eye, if that.  And bass for less than that, at least this time. 
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2021, 10:55:40 PM »

So, how far back does the documentation go? Late 1700's at best, correct?????  I am talking a day or two before that. 

If you want to just stand on that documentation, then bass have been here during half of that time. 

Again, salmon migrated to lake Washington and its tributaries.  Heck, all of the tributaries of Puget Sound.  They have not been here forevever, they have been here for a blink of an eye, if that.  And bass for less than that, at least this time.

:chuckle: How long have natives been fishing for salmon in the lake/state?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2021, 11:49:15 PM »

Gillnet the salmon- bring back the dinosuars!
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2021, 12:29:28 AM »

:chuckle: How long have natives been fishing for salmon in the lake/state?

Exactly, how long?  ( here's a hint, not all that long)
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2021, 08:29:28 AM »
End of debate!!

Low T Beta Male

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2021, 08:49:49 AM »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]