collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Protein shakes  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Protein shakes
« on: April 22, 2021, 11:09:42 PM »
Any have a healthy protein powder/bars. I've been hitting the gym and looking an added quick and easy protein.  I do some prepped meals high in protein but looking for something simple like a powder or bar that is healthy and high in protein.  Back in the day it was whey protein but I am not sure that is considered healthy these days or not.  looking for suggestions.

Offline BeWitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
Re: Protein shakes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:21:14 AM »
The best protein bars are the Costco Kirkland brand cookie dough chunk flavor. Fudge is good too.

Best pre made protein shakes ive had are are Fairlife Core Power and Muscle Milk. Both are low sugar.

Best protein powder that I have tried is ON gold standard WHEY from Costco. Mixes very quick and consistent. I prefer the vanilla.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 06:02:31 AM by BeWitty »

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 05:00:15 AM »
Syntha 6 Chocolate Milkshake flavor protein powder mixes well and tastes so good I had to resist the urge to drink it as a snack.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Bareback

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 06:33:17 AM »
Unsalted mixed nuts is your healthiest protein option.

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
Whey and Casein are good proteins......Just pay attention to whats added in with it, and if you experience the bloating/cramping then switch to organic or even plant based protein shakes. Muscle Milk and Shakeology are 2 of the best that come to mind. Also a smoothie for lunch/breakfast or in between if you have access to a blender/ninja would be a banana, spinach, kale, blueberries and optional vanilla powder. Consider adding creatine as needed.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 07:41:54 AM »
Whey and Casein are good proteins......Just pay attention to whats added in with it, and if you experience the bloating/cramping then switch to organic or even plant based protein shakes. Muscle Milk and Shakeology are 2 of the best that come to mind. Also a smoothie for lunch/breakfast or in between if you have access to a blender/ninja would be a banana, spinach, kale, blueberries and optional vanilla powder. Consider adding creatine as needed.

Explain a bit on the creatine.  Is that for recovery?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 07:54:08 AM »
Creatine is a performance supplement, your body uses it for short energy bursts.  It's probably one of the more studied supplements.

I agree to check labels, nothing wrong with whey but it often also includes artificial sweeteners.  You can get it plain and get used to the taste if you don't want the flavorings and sweeteners.

I also second the Costco bars, good option as far as bars go.

Offline upperleft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 08:20:26 AM »
The best protein bars hands are the FitCrunch bars. For powders I use the ON Gold Standard Whey from Costco. For extra calories I usually throw in a dab of peanut butter for my morning shakes.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »
Fairlife milk is my go to. Do you know how much protein you are taking in each day from your normal foods? Often times protein shakes are bars are not needed and are more a "bro science" thing.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
Fairlife milk is my go to. Do you know how much protein you are taking in each day from your normal foods? Often times protein shakes are bars are not needed and are more a "bro science" thing.

I don't know how many grams I am getting, but I am pretty sure not enough.  If I had to guess I would say 100-120 grams a day without any protein supplements.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 08:55:05 AM »

I don't know how many grams I am getting, but I am pretty sure not enough.  If I had to guess I would say 100-120 grams a day without any protein supplements.

If that is the case then supplementing with some extra protein makes sense. I just know that there is a stigma out there that bodies need crazy amounts of protein to gain muscle and that you need to take it after your workout. Both of those have been proven false by tons of studies.

Besides Fairlife, I agree other good choices are the kirkland brand bars from costco, mixed nuts, or beef jerky

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 09:07:35 AM »

A good rule of thumb is 1 gr of protein for 1 lb of body weight ( if your working out)  otherwise its like .5 gr per lb.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:23:19 AM »

A good rule of thumb is 1 gr of protein for 1 lb of body weight ( if your working out)  otherwise its like .5 gr per lb.

I agree with this in general. My rule of thumb is to get at least .7 grams per lb of lean body weight.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 09:38:35 AM »
I have a Peanut butter addiction so I do PB fit from Costco...other protein powders just seem really overpriced and contain allot of stuff I don't need. If I want extra protein I eat it. Jerky, chicken breast etc...

Drinking a bunch of calories and protein has a negative affect on me. Makes me feel like crud. No energy.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
I have a Peanut butter addiction so I do PB fit from Costco...other protein powders just seem really overpriced and contain allot of stuff I don't need. If I want extra protein I eat it. Jerky, chicken breast etc...

Drinking a bunch of calories and protein has a negative affect on me. Makes me feel like crud. No energy.
pretty much my take on it. While protein powders don't make me feel bad, I just prefer food. Summer sausage, jerky, hardboiled eggs, or my favorite which is cold leftover steak from dinner sliced thin soaking in drippings from the plate. My office is my work car so everything has to be prep free and simple.

My post workout treat is a scoop of peanut butter or a glass of chocolate milk. Gives me some protein but also hits that sweet tooth just right.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »

I am the same. I used to do the protein shake/bar routine but haven't for years. I will sometimes pack them on hunting or camping trips for ease but that is about it. Eggs, mixed nuts, peanut butter, steaks, chicken, fish, shrimp are all good plus there are plenty of plant based sources that get overlooked

Offline PsoasHunter

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 09:55:44 AM »
After morning workouts, my favorite breakfast is a super simple protein shake that tastes more like a milk-shake and is very quick, and also satisfies my peanut butter addiction.  (I'm noticing a trend of Hunt-WA PB addicts...glad I'm not alone)

In a standard magic bullet cup, mix:

frozen banana chunks (about 1/2 a banana, I keep a container going in the freezer)
1 scoop of cookies and cream whey protein from Costco
large scoop of peanut butter
fill to top with milk
blend until smooth

The whole process takes 2 min or less, I have breakfast to go, and it keeps me full at work for about 5 hours after a workout, which I can't say for any other breakfast.  Plus it's delicious. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 10:22:52 AM »
Does sausage gravy count as a protein supplement?  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »

I’ve been doing it wrong my life if the answer is no

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »

Technically ya .since it can blended up and drank.. and most importantly, any good protein looks the same coming out as it did going in ..so your good.  :tup:

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 11:51:45 AM »

I agree with this in general. My rule of thumb is to get at least .7 grams per lb of lean body weight.

I am about 4 weeks in to getting in shape.  This and a low carb diet I hope to shed 20lbs.  I need protein that is quick and keeps me from the kids Cheetos, nachos, burgers, fries etc. 

A side note, the wife got this bone broth protein that is disgusting, and I am used to eating food I don't necessarily like lol. It is supposed to be really good for you but DANG!!!

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 12:47:09 PM »
For quick protein I'd be eating hard boiled eggs and sardines.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 07:15:45 PM »
This is a guy I watch regularly...

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 08:00:18 AM »
I second the syntha 6 chocolate or any of the flavors for that matter. If you have time prep one and take it with you. My wife changed to almond milk so its almond milk, protein powder, most of a banana, and a big scoop of peanut butter. Tastes so good usually can't help chugging it down.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »
The best protein bars are the Costco Kirkland brand cookie dough chunk flavor. Fudge is good too.

Best pre made protein shakes ive had are are Fairlife Core Power and Muscle Milk. Both are low sugar.

Best protein powder that I have tried is ON gold standard WHEY from Costco. Mixes very quick and consistent. I prefer the vanilla.
Agree with all these recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ne kid

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
Does anybody eat the foil packed tuna? I love those things and they are fast and portable, and not messy like sardines.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
Does anybody eat the foil packed tuna? I love those things and they are fast and portable, and not messy like sardines.

Absolutely. I’m waiting them to start doing the same thing with sardines though.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 09:40:57 AM »
Another tool to add to your snack list - chk the numbers - 15 cal / slice.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal