collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No Jakes?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
No Jakes?
« on: May 05, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
Just curious. Most years we will see and call in numerous jakes.  Not this year, plenty of mature toms but just not seeing any jakes. Is it just my general area of 121 or are others seeing this?  Still seeing flocks of 10-15 birds with 3-4 toms but no Jakes.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: No Jakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »
We have seen a ton of jakes in our area.  We have a group of 6 Jake’s all running together with a couple hens. 

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 09:12:59 AM »
Tons of Jake's by us.  Tons.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
I didn't see a single jake in the 121 either, lots of turkeys in general tho
Go hawks

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »
We saw 24 Jakes in three groups close to there.  14 jakes, 2 toms and one hen in one group.  The tom my brother shot out of another group had at least 8 and then the group he missed a tom out of had 2 that we saw, but I know there were more there by the yelps.  Plenty of jakes up there this year.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:33:45 AM »
Ok, just around me I guess. Kids have shot 13 so far, all toms. Couple of the young kids would have taken a jake but had to settle for a tom LOL

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 11:11:08 AM »
There was 3 jakes with the tom I killed in 121. They were very wary and shy of him...assuming he's handed their asses to them in the past.

:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Guzman

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »
Jakes are weird. Some times they come running to the call and sometimes they run the other way. Best way to tell if there are jakes around is by listening to the different gobbles. Often jakes gobble is a little different than a ton.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 08:48:03 AM »
Giant batch of jakes in my neighborhood. Gotta be nearly 40 in that group. The majestic "elk of the trees" apparently did well last spring even though I wasn't seeing many poults.

With this dry spring, they should do great this year too.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:15:49 AM »
Jakes are weird. Some times they come running to the call and sometimes they run the other way. Best way to tell if there are jakes around is by listening to the different gobbles. Often jakes gobble is a little different than a ton.
could be, but I've sure been fooled a lot. Reality is that turkeys are like people, some sing really well and some not so good. Used to have a spot not far from my house that had a winter flock of about 200 birds roosting fairly close together. Just before spring break up they put out quite a concert in the morning. Was like listening to a church choir, some gobbles and yelps were right on key and some were way off key. I tried to guess the Jakes from the toms based on their gobbles, but was right only about 50 percent of the time.  I believe precision calling is good, I also believe it's over emphasized by turkey call manufactures.  Hot toms don't discriminate against hens with sub par vocal chords. Just make sure you don't make any blandly bad sounds when calling.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:21:48 AM »
We've probably seen about 150 jakes in the areas we hunt, should be another excellent season next year.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal