collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: All copper bullets  (Read 4335 times)

Offline DUCKDUDE

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: All copper bullets
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 11:01:54 PM »
Been shooting the 140 TSX for years lots of boom flops.  Very impressed with Barnes bullets.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 05:55:50 AM »
A few people already recommended them but you may want to look at hammer hunters. I tried them last year and took a mule deer and an elk.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,253803.msg3435287.html#msg3435287
This thread has my load development and performance on game. I also found and weighed bullets and shed petals. Granted you are loading for a .270 you will be loading a slightly lighter bullet than the 181 gr. I selected.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 02:42:48 PM »
FYI - recovered Barnes muzzleloader bullets. If the pic a actually posts.

I haven't recovered a .270 round yet since they seem to pass through. No reason to believe the expansion and retention or razor sharp petals are any different

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »
The mule deer that I shot this year with my 7 mag and 145 LRX was hit quartering away, shooting fairly steeply downhill. Entered mid chest, right behind the shoulder and exited low through the offside leg. The trauma was unreal. Nothing I've ever experienced with a lead bullet. I had the distinct impression that there was so much energy as it left that the vacuum tried to pull the lungs out of a .75" hole. It nearly actually severed the offside leg. Not just broke it as it passed, but almost severed it.  I was quite impressed. Needless to say, he went nowhere.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 05:17:39 PM »
I Use 180 grn Nosler Etips in my 300 wm and 250grn Etips in my 338rem ultra Used them mostly in Africa 1400lb Eland Dropped where it stood with the 338.    Kudu, wildebeest, gemsbok  The same Shot those with 300wm

Offline Farmer72

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 06:15:36 PM »
I have been using Barnes X bullets since the early 90's and love them. As long as your firearm will shoot them they have performed excellent. I started with the original X bullet. Now depending on which caliber I shoot TSX, TTSX, and LRX. Of all the deer, elk and antelope I have shot I have only recovered 4 or 5 bullets. First one I recovered was a 140 gr X from my 270 Win. I shot a spike bull at 250 yds laying down facing me. When I shot he turned his head and I hit him right at the base of the eye-guard it completely passed through 2 inches of horn and hit the top of the skull to which it went through another inch of the top of the skull where it continued through hitting the backstrap and lodging next to the spine. Unfortunately it didn't hit anything vital to kill him but I am sure it rung his bell something fierce. He got up and moved to a small opening where I was able to put one through the lungs. When i recovered the first bullet than went through the horn, skull and was found next to the back it had lost all 4 petals. It started at 140 gr. and weighed out at 129 when recovered. Seeing the penetration and how well it held together changed my dad that day to shooting Barnes bullets.

I have over the years recovered 2 more from elk using my 8mm Rem mag and one from an antelope using a 300 WSM. I could have recovered one more from an antelope using a 223 Rem but didn't want to dig through the brain for it.

Here is the one I recovered from antelope buck. He was facing square at me and I hit him in the chest at 350 yds. I recovered the bullet just under the hide in his ass. When completely from stem to stern. It was a 168 gr. TTSX and it weighs out at 167.1 grs. now.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 08:26:29 PM »
The mule deer that I shot this year with my 7 mag and 145 LRX was hit quartering away, shooting fairly steeply downhill. Entered mid chest, right behind the shoulder and exited low through the offside leg. The trauma was unreal. Nothing I've ever experienced with a lead bullet. I had the distinct impression that there was so much energy as it left that the vacuum tried to pull the lungs out of a .75" hole. It nearly actually severed the offside leg. Not just broke it as it passed, but almost severed it.  I was quite impressed. Needless to say, he went nowhere.

I had the same thing, but with my first MT goat and TSX.  The opposite leg was literally hanging on by about a 1/4" strip of hide.  The heart was 90% gone, like nothing there.  The blood marks at the point of impact were incredible.  It went 50 yards which is still one of the most impressive feats of an animal I have seen.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 08:42:11 PM »
I've had very good success with TSX and TTSX bullets on game from antelope up to elk sized animals. I have recovered a few bullets but most of the time they're full pass-throughs. I like two holes because it increases the chances of leaving a blood trail.

Here is a 165 grain TTSX shot from a 300 WSM recovered from an eland bull. The bullet went through both shoulders and stopped on the far side hide. The bullet weighed 164.9 grains after recovery.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
Barnes have shot very well through my 300WSM and 7-08.
Wish I had a dead animal to prove it!

Nice thing about all-copper is they're long for weight.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »

Maybe.......but it you are using a compressed load that's a problem.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 02:56:22 PM »

Good point.
I was thinking of it ballistically.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 03:10:50 PM »

Good point.
I was thinking of it ballistically.

I was experimenting with some 140-grain TSX BT in .270 Winchester and compressed loads.  Turns out they weren't all that accurate compared to some
others, so I gave up on that particular load.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »
I've had very good success with TSX and TTSX bullets on game from antelope up to elk sized animals. I have recovered a few bullets but most of the time they're full pass-throughs. I like two holes because it increases the chances of leaving a blood trail.

Here is a 165 grain TTSX shot from a 300 WSM recovered from an eland bull. The bullet went through both shoulders and stopped on the far side hide. The bullet weighed 164.9 grains after recovery.
That's impressive!  Thanks for sharing, Bob33. 
I haven't recovered any copper bullets from the deer I've shot with .243 Win PowerShok Copper.  All pass-through, nothing left behind!

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
I've used the 150gr TSX on 6 different BT, in both .308 and 30-06 all one shot no recovery all thru and thru. Longest shot was 198 up hill about 60 degrees thru the shoulder and out the spine. I'm still waiting on harvesting another with my 6.5X55 with 130gr TSX. I've put each on on a scale all have been as advertised. I did have to play with powders for my .308.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 06:28:18 PM »
I wish I could speak on retention of the LRX, but no recoveries on six deer from 45-293 yards.  Distance ran after the shot has ranged from zero to 35ish yards with the average being roughly 11, three of which dropped at the shot. The ~100 yards one rolled down a hill doesn't count  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal