collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Traditional archery aiming methods  (Read 5738 times)

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Traditional archery aiming methods
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 11:48:43 AM »
Tagging,  Don't have a non site bow yet.

retirement goal is to hunt with a longbow, think that would be a fun way to spend some extra days once I am not logging in to work.

I had a really beautiful Jim Reynolds Thunder Stick. I tore my shoulder about 8 years ago and had to give up trad. The shoulder has healed but I do miss trad shooting and hunting. If you're an older guy like me, consult a trainer or physical therapist on ways to build up your shoulders to avoid doing this.

Is shooting traditional worse on shoulders than the newer modern bows?  I am currently hunting with a compound so figured a longbow would be fine.  But open to those smarter than me if there is different or worse stress from a longbow.

You're holding back the entire weight while preparing to shoot. Compounds let off most of the weight, as you know. If you have shoulder issues, you should look into a compound or at least consult a pro before spending money on a trad bow.

Thanks that makes sense, I was not thinking about the let-off that you get with the compounds.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 05:20:58 AM »
This may be awful to some, but I put a 3 pin sight on my recurve. Shot gap method for quite some time, but had a difficult time at range estimation. Somehow I am spot on to 38 yds with zero windage problem. Quick dead animal is more important to me than looks.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:59 PM »
This may be awful to some, but I put a 3 pin sight on my recurve. Shot gap method for quite some time, but had a difficult time at range estimation. Somehow I am spot on to 38 yds with zero windage problem. Quick dead animal is more important to me than looks.

I had a recurve with a sight when I was younger.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 08:41:47 PM »
Probably not so much about looks as it is embracing a primitive hunting method and mastering it.  Same with muzzleloading guys.  But I am not going to fault someone for choosing what they choose.  Too much of that out there already.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal