collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Chuckar for dog training  (Read 3006 times)

Offline mtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Need Chuckar for dog training
« on: May 09, 2021, 06:47:10 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get a couple chuckar for dog training? I’m in the tri-cities.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:34:23 AM by mtaylor »

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
Re: Need Chuckar for dog training
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 11:33:23 AM »
I see them occasionally on Craigslist, but chukar tend to be pricey. What breed of dog are you training? Are you looking to train in the chukar hills or just in a farm field?
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline mtaylor

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 08:02:39 AM »
I have a GWP. I am running the Natural Ability test for NAVHDA next month so I was wanting to get a few birds to practice tracking

Matt

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 09:53:12 AM »
Chukar on Craigslist will run around $35 a piece, where quail are around $5 a piece, and almost just as good. Chukar do tend to fly off/bust better though so your call...
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 11:05:57 AM »
Chukar on Craigslist will run around $35 a piece, where quail are around $5 a piece, and almost just as good. Chukar do tend to fly off/bust better though so your call...

Only $5 per quail? Man my wife has been over charging for her chickens for sure!  :chuckle:
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 10:01:32 PM »
$5 for a quail? From where?

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 02:29:11 PM »
The $5 quail are coturnix quail and they do not fly well at all. You can launch them out of a launcher and most will fall right back down. I have been seeing them upward of $7 to $10 which is almost criminal but people are buying. Bobs when you can find them are much better for what you want as far as quail. I can tell you as I guy who usually raises a few hundred chukar and pheasant the day of a $15 cock pheasant or $7 chukar are long gone. Feed alone is crazy expensive. What used to be $13 a bag is now close to $30 and climbing!! To have chukar this time of year someone has to raise them all winter or put breeders on lights in December and run incubators and brooders all spring and that is $$ too. My power bill when incubating and brooding is about $650 a month!!

** I am also doing this on the west side whole grains are cheaper on the east side once you get the chicks out of the brooder but nothing is cheap anymore**

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »
The $5 quail are coturnix quail and they do not fly well at all. You can launch them out of a launcher and most will fall right back down. I have been seeing them upward of $7 to $10 which is almost criminal but people are buying. Bobs when you can find them are much better for what you want as far as quail. I can tell you as I guy who usually raises a few hundred chukar and pheasant the day of a $15 cock pheasant or $7 chukar are long gone. Feed alone is crazy expensive. What used to be $13 a bag is now close to $30 and climbing!! To have chukar this time of year someone has to raise them all winter or put breeders on lights in December and run incubators and brooders all spring and that is $$ too. My power bill when incubating and brooding is about $650 a month!!

** I am also doing this on the west side whole grains are cheaper on the east side once you get the chicks out of the brooder but nothing is cheap anymore**

So why not just switch to homing pigeons? Honest question. Raising birds (homers) for first time, but curious on chukars.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 02:18:38 PM »
$5 for a quail? From where?
Craigslist. Just picked some up this weekend, and were actually $4 a piece since I bought 10. Birdguy is right though, they are coturnix quail and flying is not their strong suit, but they do fly a little bit. My puppy is just shy of 3 months old though so running is not her strong suit :chuckle: And like Birdguy alluded to, it is not like you are being ripped off at $35 a chukar, it just is what it is. They're not cheap to raise.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 08:30:17 PM »

So why not just switch to homing pigeons? Honest question. Raising birds (homers) for first time, but curious on chukars.

We have homers to. I have sold 150 or so this last year, down to just a few breeders now. Serious dog guys all have homers or access to them, your back uyard trainer only want birds they can shoot. Most guys who hunt like eating the birds and thus spending another couple bucks for a chukar that was grain fed is well worth it to them. Lol. Pigeons are boring honestly and the gamebirds vary so much. It is a hobby for me and if I just had the pigeons I would get out, I like to fly them but dislike feeding the hawks every time they fly.

Offline aman

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 07:58:01 PM »
You can contact Lily Lo with Pacific Northwest Pointing Labrador Club (https://nwpointinglabs.org/contact-us/). The club ordered more chukars than necessary for the hunt test and has extra for sale.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]