collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause  (Read 34277 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2021, 07:25:23 PM »
Oh, and I've killed a bear outta there and seen plenty - it was at one point the highest density per square mile in the state around dayton/tucannon area.  Also, wolves howling on the eastside of the blues while hunting blue mountain unicorns, shut the elk up quick.  Trifecta of problems.

Of course Wik helps hunters. Isnt his brother one of the main scouts for tag hunters!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2021, 10:05:46 PM »
The nez peirce are way worse than the umatilla tribe.  They slaughter the elk in the lick creek tucannon mountain view and wenha units.  No tags no limits.  The like to shoot cows hang em near the roads so there sent is there during the rut and shoot the bulls when they come in.  Dont take an ounce of meat of the cows just use them as bait.  I have witnessed this firsthand and have talked to numerous of them that have told me this is there tactic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

not as bad in Mt View as most of it is inaccessible by road and they dont get out of the rig

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2021, 09:28:16 PM »
It is NOT good at all that’s for sure. I still hold to the fact that I know 8 of 8 dudes that kilt 320+ bulls in the blues 2018-2020.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Landowner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »
Update today:  Calves have been and are being collared.  But still a ways to go to get to 125 total collared calves.  A number of collared  calves have already been killed by predators.  Analysis  has been conducted and causes of mortality have been confirmed on a large portion of those kills.  Some mortality causes are in process of being analyzed with help of WSU veterinarians.  A little early to release any info yet IMO.  Suffice to say that predators are in the thick of it.  More to come. 

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
Update today:  Calves have been and are being collared.  But still a ways to go to get to 125 total collared calves.  A number of collared  calves have already been killed by predators.  Analysis  has been conducted and causes of mortality have been confirmed on a large portion of those kills.  Some mortality causes are in process of being analyzed with help of WSU veterinarians.  A little early to release any info yet IMO.  Suffice to say that predators are in the thick of it.  More to come.
I know that this is a huge predator problem but I am really interested to see which one is the biggest problem or if it is an equal problem between the wolves, bears, and cats. Lots of people have their guesses so it will be interesting to see.
Zonk Volmer

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
I know that this is a huge predator problem but I am really interested to see which one is the biggest problem or if it is an equal problem between the wolves, bears, and cats. Lots of people have their guesses so it will be interesting to see.
There was a study done a few years back on the coast, where blacktail fawns were collared and tracked to see which predators did most of the killing.  Bobcats ended up being the number one killer.  In second place and not close to first were bears.

Offline Landowner

• Scout
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2021, 04:31:09 PM »
We have another committee meeting on December 3.  Everyone has heard by now that 80 percent or so of the elk calves collared by WDFW in May/June are dead.  Cougars leading the predator kill numbers followed by bears.  It is bad.  Be sure to comment on the spring bear hunt on WDFW's page.  Gonna be a slow process, but the science supports action being taken against the predators.  The red tape will be the stumbling block slowing things down while the elk keep getting hammered.  Big surprise to all I'm sure. 

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2021, 07:30:35 PM »
Wow. That is absolutely insane to lose that many calves

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2021, 07:46:38 PM »
It is NOT good at all that’s for sure. I still hold to the fact that I know 8 of 8 dudes that kilt 320+ bulls in the blues 2018-2020.

That may be true, but had these detrimental issues not be at hand, I bet it would have been 8 for 8 on 340+ bulls. :twocents:

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2021, 08:08:15 PM »
The cat situation is extremely bad and will be very hard to get back to a manageable level without the use of hounds. For bears they should either substantially increase the spring tag allocation or make it OTC for several years.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2021, 08:18:03 PM »
Those cats are sneaky mo fo’s, I don’t doubt you at all landowner, but I’ve been drawn and helped on many hunts in the wenaha unit, still have yet to see a cat. Back in ‘19 saw 20 bears in 17 days. I hate the thought of OTC spring bear, but, if it happens, the elk will be better off.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2021, 08:56:56 AM »
Yeah, really nice 6x8.  It was a great hunt but not easy.

Good to hear.  I'm a little nervous to draw a tag right now.  Been trying for 20 years...
Dont waste your points, i think the best chance to kill a bull in there is archery or muzzy, rifle would be there hardest, "calling them and locating them" My buddy had wenha west rifle last year hunted hard every day saw more wolves then bulls.  He ended up eating his tag, never saw a quality bull entire hunt..  5-8 years ago it was take your pick on a big bull if you put forth a little effort..
Their going down!!!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
I hope everyone commented on the spring bear proposals. Mixed with a complete mismanagement of ungulate disease and introduced, additional and protected predators, the predator spiral in this state is now a cyclone in many parts. The Blues are a prime example.

An intelligent and scientifically-run DFW would:

Open cougar year round
Increase spring bear units and opportunities, possibly OTC in areas where ungulates have been decimated by predators
Start selling wolf tags for specific areas in E. WA where wolves are over-populated within the Northern Rockies Recovery Zone (where they've been delisted).
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
We have another committee meeting on December 3.  Everyone has heard by now that 80 percent or so of the elk calves collared by WDFW in May/June are dead.  Cougars leading the predator kill numbers followed by bears.  It is bad.  Be sure to comment on the spring bear hunt on WDFW's page.  Gonna be a slow process, but the science supports action being taken against the predators.  The red tape will be the stumbling block slowing things down while the elk keep getting hammered.  Big surprise to all I'm sure.

Hopefully we get the results of this collar study in writing.

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »
Bobdog86 hit a huge nail on the head with the 4.0 problem. What a bonus for the state, they buy the property. Then the natives rape and pillage the elk population. Put a couple of cameras on the Rattlesnake and then count the numbers coming up out of there headed north. Oregon must get its fair share also. My hunting partner lives right on that highway and claims the numbers are staggering. Add that to the major predator issues and what a disaster. IF&G mission statement is a refreshing read and should be a goal in this state!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]