collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause  (Read 34289 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2021, 11:08:18 AM »
Serious question.

Is there anything that prevents the tribes from going in a "managing" the various predators?
The simple answer is no.  While I'm always an advocate of cooperative management of a shared resource, it may be to everyone's interest for Tribes to take a leading role given WDFW is handicapped by state policies/politics/initiatives.

Thanks.  Follow up.  Is there anything that prevent the tribes from "deputizing" non tribal members to help with such and effort?
I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another one recently but I believe it was stated that it is possible on the reservation but not on ceded land/off the reservations.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2021, 11:20:44 AM »
Serious question.

Is there anything that prevents the tribes from going in a "managing" the various predators?
The simple answer is no.  While I'm always an advocate of cooperative management of a shared resource, it may be to everyone's interest for Tribes to take a leading role given WDFW is handicapped by state policies/politics/initiatives.

Thanks.  Follow up.  Is there anything that prevent the tribes from "deputizing" non tribal members to help with such and effort?
I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another one recently but I believe it was stated that it is possible on the reservation but not on ceded land/off the reservations.

That's too bad.  If  the tribes could define some sort to of limited "social membership" status it would be a great way to help each other out and end run politics.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2021, 12:56:59 PM »
Serious question.

That's too bad.  If  the tribes could define some sort to of limited "social membership" status it would be a great way to help each other out and end run politics.
Correct...no 'deputuzing' or granting treaty rights to non tribal members.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »
Serious question.

That looks to be the direction things are heading in slowly. Non-tribal and tribal hunters building a cooperative bridge towards sustainable wildlife management for harvest would certainly accelerate this process and possibly maybe force the state into a corner.
RMEF

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2021, 08:49:28 PM »
Serious question.

That looks to be the direction things are heading in slowly. Non-tribal and tribal hunters building a cooperative bridge towards sustainable wildlife management for harvest would certainly accelerate this process and possibly maybe force the state into a corner.

Native Americans could be a huge asset. Have to figure out a way to incentivize them to focus on predators for a few years. They could use hounds in the blues as long as they are tribal members I think?

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2021, 10:28:40 PM »
$500 per predator…. Who is starting the fund?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2021, 10:43:22 PM »
problem with wdfw cougar quota is its a joke! come Jan 1 there will be several units on the eastide closed due to the quota being met. One year unit 105 was 5 cats! thats a joke! there are places that 1 mountain has 5 cats

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2021, 03:41:03 AM »
I hate to do this to the thread.

E-bikes
One word problem, you all love them .
Reap the rewards
Elk down there are no secret ,and now add easy access .
Bye Bye elk.
I know I'm a joy kill sometimes. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2021, 10:02:27 AM »
E bikes in the blues ? You clearly have never been there.  There are very few spots a bike could get you anywhere near an elk in the blues.

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »
$500 per predator…. Who is starting the fund?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see a need for a monetary incentive, they're motivated to hunt predators for the same reasons non tribal are.
RMEF

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
I hate to do this to the thread.

E-bikes
One word problem, you all love them .
Reap the rewards
Elk down there are no secret ,and now add easy access .
Bye Bye elk.
I know I'm a joy kill sometimes. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

I hope you don't do diagnostic work for a living.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2022, 02:12:55 PM »
Let's hope they grant it!  Thanks for sharing, elkchaser.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »
How will it really help? I’ve personally spent many many days and hours glassing those mountains and yet to see a cat?? Years I’ve been all over the wenaha, hiked many miles and no cats, I just don’t get it!!  I know, I should say, I believe all the info about cats being a huge problem, I believe they are most likely the biggest prob, mostly because a guide I know over there says so. But I’m not a horrible hunter and I’ve taken a bunch of bears and seen one wolf, but never had the opportunity to take a cat. If they opened up cougar hunting year round with NO limits, would it really make a dent? Or is this just an easy way for WDFW to show they are trying to help when it’s not a drop in the bucket?  Just a thought here.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2022, 03:05:12 PM »
E bikes in the blues ? You clearly have never been there.  There are very few spots a bike could get you anywhere near an elk in the blues.
Your right ,never been there.
I'm looking on onx though ,maybe I need to go there.👍
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal