collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause  (Read 34271 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »
Calf elk are basically the same size as an adult deer.  It would make perfect sense that after the deer were depleted the cougars would shift to eating calf elk.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2022, 12:40:44 PM »
No shift needed, per WDFW study cats kill elk all the time and most of those areas have met quotas and are closed to further cougar take.  How worried about the elk is WDFW?

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2022, 10:47:04 PM »
Anybody know the specifics in the calf mortality study they did? such as did they collar random calves in all of the Blue mountain units? Ive been in Mt view and the calves there are not hurting. Lots of calves, hundreds of deer, most whitetails Ive ever seen on the river. The deer in the breaks of that area have never been hurting.Quality is the only thing lacking in that country in the mule deer

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2022, 06:54:59 AM »
Anybody know the specifics in the calf mortality study they did? such as did they collar random calves in all of the Blue mountain units? Ive been in Mt view and the calves there are not hurting. Lots of calves, hundreds of deer, most whitetails Ive ever seen on the river. The deer in the breaks of that area have never been hurting.Quality is the only thing lacking in that country in the mule deer

If you scroll back in this post you will find the link to the article, it showed nearly 80% of calf elk were killed by cats and the overall mortality was almost 90% of the collared calfs died .

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2022, 07:45:07 AM »

Majority of the calves captured were in Dayton area I believe

Offline Landowner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2022, 01:01:42 PM »
Quick update. WDFW staff on the elk calf mortality committee said last year  plan to help mitigate impact on elk mortality from predators would include going after and killing cougars, etc  with hounds.

But now staff with advice of AG says RCWs don’t authorize killing predators with use of hounds to help protect other wildlife populations like elk and deer. See RCW 77.15.245

So, absent a legislative amendment, the cats and bears will run free unmolested to kill large numbers of  ungulates, except during authorized hunting seasons.  Too late this year for any attempt to get favorable legislation, not to mention the problems in getting any passed with the makeup of the legislature. 

Another mortality study on elk calves will be done in May-June. Not sure where this ends up. I can say the County Commissioners and stakeholders on the committee will try our best to make a difference.  No guarantees. The predator advocate groups are well funded and organized to fight for predators at every juncture.  Stay tuned. 

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2022, 01:19:22 PM »
Quick update. WDFW staff on the elk calf mortality committee said last year  plan to help mitigate impact on elk mortality from predators would include going after and killing cougars, etc  with hounds.

But now staff with advice of AG says RCWs don’t authorize killing predators with use of hounds to help protect other wildlife populations like elk and deer. See RCW 77.15.245

So, absent a legislative amendment, the cats and bears will run free unmolested to kill large numbers of  ungulates, except during authorized hunting seasons.  Too late this year for any attempt to get favorable legislation, not to mention the problems in getting any passed with the makeup of the legislature. 

Another mortality study on elk calves will be done in May-June. Not sure where this ends up. I can say the County Commissioners and stakeholders on the committee will try our best to make a difference.  No guarantees. The predator advocate groups are well funded and organized to fight for predators at every juncture.  Stay tuned.
:yeah:
@Saylean
This was info I referenced in pm that you said you knew about. Unfortunate but these are the cards in play.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2022, 03:27:46 PM »
Yea I ran in to a couple of the locations where they collated the calfs and both location were in the Dayton unit. Having hunted mtn view and Dayton , I would definitely say Dayton has been hit harder in the recent years vs mtn view.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2022, 10:21:03 PM »
Yea I ran in to a couple of the locations where they collated the calfs and both location were in the Dayton unit. Having hunted mtn view and Dayton , I would definitely say Dayton has been hit harder in the recent years vs mtn view.

from what I have heard dayton has been hit the hardest. There never seems to be a shortage elk when I m down fishing and glassing hills.

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, NMLRA
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2022, 04:41:05 AM »
The reason why the urban Left was able to abolish bear baiting, trapping, and hunting with hounds is that most sportsmen and most gun owners don't vote. We get too many of the "leave me alone" personality types that will not participate in the political process. What they do not comprehend is that they allow others to rule over them by not voting.

Audacity, and again, audacity, and always audacity.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2022, 02:22:46 PM »
The reason why the urban Left was able to abolish bear baiting, trapping, and hunting with hounds is that most sportsmen and most gun owners don't vote. We get too many of the "leave me alone" personality types that will not participate in the political process. What they do not comprehend is that they allow others to rule over them by not voting.
I totally agree that we all need to vote!!!  But sadly, we just don't have enough votes in this Lib-Tard state to do any good.  This state is Baked! Done!! Doomed!!!  Only chance we have is to split off Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington and make our own state.  But that will never be allowed.  Washington isn't the only state going to Hell and a Handbasket.  Even a lot of the big boy states when it comes to hunting are in trouble in the near and distant future.  Colorado, Montana, Idaho etc etc are having Lib-Tards leave the states they have destroyed and moved in.  Sad part is they still vote the same (Liberalism is not a political stance, it is a mental disorder).  These states are behind us but in 20 years they will be where we are now.  I have seen Washington State going down hill for 50 years.  I just never dreamed it would accelerate at the rate it has in the last 2-4 years.  Unbelievable total destruction.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2022, 06:39:01 AM »
I totally agree that we all need to vote!!!  But sadly, we just don't have enough votes in this Lib-Tard state to do any good.  This state is Baked! Done!! Doomed!!!  Only chance we have is to split off Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington and make our own state.  But that will never be allowed.  Washington isn't the only state going to Hell and a Handbasket.  Even a lot of the big boy states when it comes to hunting are in trouble in the near and distant future.  Colorado, Montana, Idaho etc etc are having Lib-Tards leave the states they have destroyed and moved in.  Sad part is they still vote the same (Liberalism is not a political stance, it is a mental disorder).  These states are behind us but in 20 years they will be where we are now.  I have seen Washington State going down hill for 50 years.  I just never dreamed it would accelerate at the rate it has in the last 2-4 years.  Unbelievable total destruction.

Agreed...not sure why an self respecting American who loves freedom votes Democrat these days
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]