collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ISO: Subaru Outback  (Read 997 times)

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Tracker
ISO: Subaru Outback
« on: May 14, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
Iím thinking of changing my hunting rig to a Subaru 4wd wagon. Not real sure if it will be what I need, but Iím willing to try. Any info, words of wisdom?
Under $8k, stick or auto, prefer not the light color interior.
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014951051936
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: ISO: Subaru Outback
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 08:41:51 AM »
Iím thinking of changing my hunting rig to a Subaru 4wd wagon. Not real sure if it will be what I need, but Iím willing to try. Any info, words of wisdom?
Under $8k, stick or auto, prefer not the light color interior.

What's your reasoning for going to an Outback? Great cars, but what are you gaining vs what you currently have? There are some neat lift kits for them, but under $8k you'd probably be getting an older/high mileage one. I work at a Subaru dealer and see some pretty rad off-road Outbacks every now and then.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 08:51:00 AM »
I could see tbe appeal

Sleep in the back each night in a different location, no tent to put away, shut the hatch and drive.

I'd be concerned about space after the kill, but if you break it down and toss in a cooler then head home nbd

Roof rack with dry bags on top, hitch with bike rack that swings all the way out the way.

Platform with bed on one side, big cooler on the other, be really cool if the cooler was on a track like a bed slide on a pickup.

I think I'd still find a pickup with canopy though, tbe outbacks aren't *that* great of mileage to justify dealing with it's limitations. 

By the time you jack it up and put bigger tires on, and the mpg hit you'd get, the gap between mpg of the outback and pickup are even less.

Offline phildobaggins

• Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014951051936
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 08:53:56 AM »
 :yeah:

I do the truck with a canopy trick. A hunting buddy of mine had a Forester for a while and we killed stuff in it, but he got a truck and is way happier.

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 08:59:00 AM »
It will be my DD, so good fuel economy is a plus. I do a lot of short trips, hauling a few tools, but want a good rig to haul me and the Lab I plan to get out grouse hunting. I have a full size pickup for the heavy work.
Iím not sure about lift and bigger tires. Aggressive tires for sure.
My last Subaru was a Brat back in the 80ís. I think I got 30 mpg then!
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 09:00:32 AM »
Google Subaru head gaskets.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Sandberm

• Political Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
I love the cargo net over the pooch  :chuckle:

I dont know why all the manufacturers went to electric start only. A dead battery, starter or a short and you are screwed way out in the middle of nowhere.

My leg never has a short or breaks...and if does break I have a spare on the other side to kick the bike over. Hate e-start.

edit to say, I guess that pic wasn't kosher. Oh well. I saw it KF, looks like a sweet setup.  :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »
I deleted that pic lol, draw too much unwanted attention.   ;)

Offline OutHouse

• Sourdough
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »
Google Subaru head gaskets.  :twocents:

I had a 2004 back in the day, it fit a whole deer but yes the head gasket went out. Cost a ton to fix and it had other issues so I paid easily 4-5k to deal with it.

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 10:45:15 AM »
My Subaru Forester is for better or worse my hunting rig.  Eventually I'll get a truck but with schlepping kids around and booster seats and stuff it's nice to have a wagon.  I took it to Idaho last year, and the locals were impressed!  :chuckle:

Couple of notes:

-The wheel wells aren't deep enough to fit tire chains very well - I ended up with some damage to the plastic well liners.  I made it out of the backcountry after it dumped 14 inches (on top of other snow) but it was touch and go.  Sure was envious of a few trucks I saw out there

-If you get stuck in a wind storm with deadfall coming down all around you, don't try to drive over logs that aren't 100% on the ground!  They can get lodged between your tire and the upper wheel well.  On the other hand the subaru was able to haul a few bigger trees out of the way with a tow strap

-I bought one of those cargo racks you can hook to a rear receiver, but clearance turns out to be an issue.  I wouldn't want to take that off of well maintained forest roads

-That said, I fit a big cooler, canvas tent, wood stove, cot, and hunting gear & supplies for a week in there. Spent a couple nights in the back in between locations which was nice.

Good luck - that price range won't get you much else than an old one with like 200,000 miles on it, sadly.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
The Subaru Outback works okay. I tried it, figured with good fuel economy, AWD and the same clearance as a lot of trucks it would work fine and it does.

The downside is you canít use chains on it and you wonít be able to take it down any 4WD trails. It will get you up any forest service road just fine though in good weather.

I got rid of mine a year after buying it and bought a half ton pick up and eventually bought a car for commuting.

If you already have a truck IMO I would keep it and find a car to drive as your DD.

Offline HikerHunter

• Scout
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 01:53:24 PM »
I've had an '02 forester as my daily driver and hunting rig since 2008. I think I paid $8700 for it with 100k miles. It has 272k miles on it now and I can't find a reason to get rid of it yet. I had a buddy do the head gasket along with the timing belt and clutch at 200k even though the head gasket was still doing okay. Maybe I was lucky with the whole head gasket thing.

Its a manual and I've averaged 30-31 mpg over its life, which was one of the main reasons I wanted it, since it would be my daily driver. I'm not aware of a 4WD pickup that gets anywhere near that mpg.

I've hauled a lot of animals inside and on top of it. I've spent lots of nights in the back. It drives very good in the snow, even with all season tires, I'm guessing because of the limited slip differential. The independent suspension makes driving bumpy forest roads much nicer. There are times when a truck would be more convenient, but not enough for me to switch yet.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, ssci
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 02:25:02 PM »
The head gasket issue was fixed after 2008. Iíve had three now, two prior to 08 and had to replace both head gaskets. Iím on to a Ď15 legacy sedan and avg around 30 mpg. 200k on it. I commute. That being said, I would go with a forester again if youíre planning to hunt out of it. Seems to be a bit more clearance underneath as well as in the wheel wells. The mpg was around 24 I think, but it handled in all conditions awesome. If I didnít drive as far daily, Iíd have gone that route. Iíve seen some pretty tricked out ones, meant for off road etc and they seemed to handle it all just fine.

Offline jrebel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 02:41:32 PM »
We bought a subergini  :chuckle: crosstek this year (new to us but it is a 17 with 40k miles) and so far am plenty happy.  It gets 30-33 mpg and is a 5 speed manual.  It has the same ground clearance as all the other subaru cars.  As for hunting....it has gone turkey hunting and did great.  Not sure I would take it deer or elk hunt due to the lack of room.  With that said, a car top carrier would solve that problem and it could work.  Great vehicles and I too have heard the head gasket problem is no longer an issue.  Supposedly fixed around 08.   

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »
We bought a subergini  :chuckle: crosstek this year (new to us but it is a 17 with 40k miles) and so far am plenty happy.  It gets 30-33 mpg and is a 5 speed manual.  It has the same ground clearance as all the other subaru cars.  As for hunting....it has gone turkey hunting and did great.  Not sure I would take it deer or elk hunt due to the lack of room.  With that said, a car top carrier would solve that problem and it could work.  Great vehicles and I too have heard the head gasket problem is no longer an issue.  Supposedly fixed around 08.
Wife has one, biggest drawback is she can 4x4 well enough to get to my hunting camps now  :D

I jest, she never comes to camp but I'd love her too.

Well, except for that one camp...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

IDAHO Controlled hunt deadline June 5...Tomorrow by Nape6.5
[Today at 02:23:28 PM]

Year round Bull Elk season by trophyhunt
[Today at 02:19:20 PM]

Ocean Charter Recommendations by ASHQUACK
[Today at 02:16:36 PM]

Salmon/steelhead jigs by duckmen1
[Today at 01:17:39 PM]

Pet Insurance by aman