Advertisement

Author Topic: Alkali  (Read 3669 times)

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Alkali
« on: May 16, 2021, 10:26:52 AM »
Well who’s going gamble on this hunt ? Archery hunters high potential of most units being closed for fall maneuvers. Muzzy hunters probably have the best opportunity if the units are open and the elk don’t get pushed onto the closed zone or into private. Rifle guys it will be like a race track up and down the ridge looking for elk that are crossing back and forth from private and closed areas plus add a little weather ( fog) . This was a pretty good hunt for the guys that drew the tags previously but now with the huge increase of permits I think it will be a giant cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Alkali
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 12:30:43 PM »
I won’t burn muzzy points now that it’s a quality hunt.  :twocents:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 01:28:16 PM »
I can’t believe they made these quality tags. There are way to many variables out of your control. Heck I had the muzzy bull tag last year. I was kind of at my wits end for the first week. Not much open. Had permission on private. But the bulls leave the fields before light and walk right into a closed range stand there on the other side of the fence and stare at you. Wdfw really screwed the pooch on this one. If I had minimal points I may put in. But I would say anything over 3 would be a waste. Definitely not a hunt for people who dont like to get out and hike your arse off. The master hunters push all those elk down in the canyons out of sight of the road for months prior to tag holders getting in there. Plus all the native pressure. Those elk wise up and head straight for the impact center.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »
Is there some management goal with all the tags. Herd reduction or something...used to be a sleeper unit...tons of good animals in there.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 02:00:10 PM »
I can’t believe they made these quality tags. There are way to many variables out of your control. Heck I had the muzzy bull tag last year. I was kind of at my wits end for the first week. Not much open. Had permission on private. But the bulls leave the fields before light and walk right into a closed range stand there on the other side of the fence and stare at you. Wdfw really screwed the pooch on this one. If I had minimal points I may put in. But I would say anything over 3 would be a waste. Definitely not a hunt for people who dont like to get out and hike your arse off. The master hunters push all those elk down in the canyons out of sight of the road for months prior to tag holders getting in there. Plus all the native pressure. Those elk wise up and head straight for the impact center.
The Master Hunter season is only the month of August.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 03:37:34 PM »
The Master Hunter season is only the month of August.
yeah that’s new this year.

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »
I've been putting in for muzzie bull in this unit only for like 10 years now.  With it going to quality, ill never use points on it.  What pisses me off is that now I've got 17 points in the bull category and the muzzie bull tags are a joke!  What a waste.  I don't understand how they consider that a quality hunt.

Online westside bull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
How do they consider there's quality blacktail tags it's a joke idoits making decisions!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
I've been putting in for muzzie bull in this unit only for like 10 years now.  With it going to quality, ill never use points on it.  What pisses me off is that now I've got 17 points in the bull category and the muzzie bull tags are a joke!  What a waste.  I don't understand how they consider that a quality hunt.

Well, it's a relative term, better experience than other tags which is getting to be a pretty easy bar to cross.  It also costs more to apply now, can't think that doesn't come into play at some level in the discussion.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
7.10 for a general application or 13.10 for a quality application.
🤔

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 06:32:44 PM »
How do they consider there's quality blacktail tags it's a joke idoits making decisions!

Getting to hunt blacktails in the rut with minimal pressure is quality for a blacktail hunter.  :dunno:
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 06:36:23 PM »
Classifying Alkali as a Quality permit is perplexing. Perhaps it's a statement on the qualtity of our state's elk herds.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »
Classifying Alkali as a Quality permit is perplexing. Perhaps it's a statement on the qualtity of our state's elk herds.
don’t get me wrong there are some good bulls in there but that doesn’t mean you can hunt them. The best ranges for elk are always closed. My whole thing is when Wdfw says this is a quality permit. My question is why? You may draw a tag and military’s says sorry there’s nothing open.  :dunno:. The military could care less you have a tag.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 07:17:51 PM »
agree with you 100%. Muzzle loaders set the shaft when it comes to bull tags. Just hope for multi and burn your points on something good

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »
When ever I think about the alkali I get depressed and pissed. When it comes to deer, THE TRIBES F’d it up completely!!!!!!    RUINED it, selfish people!!!!  Used to be great deer hunting in the 90’s, our group that drew a couple times said once the natives figure this out, we are F’d. And they wiped out the deer in a short time! Elk are next!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal