collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Feeding quail  (Read 10671 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Feeding quail
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »
Any recommendations for food? Currently it's just cracked corn. I also plan to set some posts in and around the area. Dad likes to hang out on a perch to keep an eye on the kids. There are some old, grey posts laying in the field that look like they'd make good lookouts.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 01:02:37 PM »
We just feed chicken scratch and they love it, usually feeding 200+ in the winter, but only when the snow gets over 3 - 4". Once they are on it, we are feeding 50 lbs a week!

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 03:56:52 PM »
Scratch or cracked corn is good for winter and supplemental other times but the corn will put fat on them and can reduce their ability to reproduce. They sell gamebird seed blocks that will sustain them and last a long time. They will likely just stop in from time to time outside of winter but keep an eye on how often they are and how much they are eating. Watch the numbers and make sure your predators aren't just eating your efforts.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 04:20:44 PM »
Scratch or cracked corn is good for winter and supplemental other times but the corn will put fat on them and can reduce their ability to reproduce. They sell gamebird seed blocks that will sustain them and last a long time. They will likely just stop in from time to time outside of winter but keep an eye on how often they are and how much they are eating. Watch the numbers and make sure your predators aren't just eating your efforts.

Great info. Thanks.
Predators are my main concern, as the place is lousy with hawks and those white headed crows.  :o
Low T Beta Male

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 06:13:27 PM »

Great info. Thanks.
Predators are my main concern, as the place is lousy with hawks and those white headed crows.  :o

Hopefully the white headed crows will be feasting on the neighbors chickens as they are a much bigger better meal! The hawks is what to watch and any raccoons, cats etc. That is why I say watch that tree top, hawks will be quite visible until you train them.  :tup:

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 09:59:46 PM »

Great info. Thanks.

Hopefully the white headed crows will be feasting on the neighbors chickens as they are a much bigger better meal! The hawks is what to watch and any raccoons, cats etc. That is why I say watch that tree top, hawks will be quite visible until you train them.  :tup:

I've seen raccoons, bobcats and domestic cats on my trail camera. My first order of business is to give them plenty of cover by planting thickets.
Low T Beta Male

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 08:56:49 AM »
Watched a hawk come in hot Saturday, and Dad quail chased him off. So I put some brush over the feeder/ watering hole for a quick fix. An hour later Mom and Dad were giving the kids a tour of their new digs. Pretty cool stuff.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:43:58 AM by Angry Perch »
Low T Beta Male

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
 :yeah: Hey guys, gals We aren't suppot feed or encrurraged them in  whay, shape or forum......
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

Offline Axle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 07:05:45 AM »
Skunks are aggressive egg robbers. Getting rid of most of the skunks in your area (if they exist there) will also help. I don't have them around where I live but I also don't have quail. I do know that the spray-proof skunk traps work very well. Especially if they are baited with fried chicken. I have trapped skunks in the past and know that where they exist - the numbers are always higher than you think they might be.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 10:01:14 AM »
Hey I agree,
WE have "EGG stealing Raven's,"
They come in almost every morning to steal our neighbors chick eggs, fly high, drop them in our pasture, then just lick that yolk up!!! :yike: :tup:
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »
:yeah: Hey guys, gals We aren't suppot feed or encrurraged them in  whay, shape or forum......

Huh?
Low T Beta Male

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »

Huh?

No kidding huh....... :hunt2:

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2021, 04:41:25 PM »
Cracked corn by it self is not great for game birds, low poor quality protein and a bunch more phosphorous than calcium.  Can be part of a diet.  The babies need a bunch of calories and protein, think bugs and fat.  Pretty easy to get it balanced.  Grain, peas, canola, limestone in the right proportions come close, add the right vitamin/mineral mix and all is will.  Plan a food plot that is a bug factory and good cover, sweet clover comes to mind but it is a two year process.  Spring canola and triticale planted early next spring with sweet clover part of the mix should give you a excellent two or three year plot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]